Say what you will about the opponent | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you will about the opponent

Bell was good tonight. Didn’t deserve to play all 20 in the second but still good. If he isn’t hitting like he is tonight then Taylor and/or Brown should play more minutes than him.

Joe was our 2nd leading rebounder with 4. That should never ever happen.

But a win is a win is a win.

How many had a hand on it but lost it rebounds did we have tonight? Sheesh. Had we rebounded better maybe game stays like it started...

Can Justin Taylor and Maliq Brown please play more minutes
I agree. But JB’s philosophy is to allow kids, especially freshman, to get comfortable out there with consistent minutes. Bell knocked down a shot (or two?) in the first half and had pretty good defensive activity, and JB saw he shot the ball with some confidence and might be ready to knock down a few more, which he knew we’d need. His instincts paid off. Now Bell needs to rebound a lot better and get out on the shooters faster. But I’ll take what we have for now. He’s the team’s second best shooter.

I have some optimism about Bell. Not sure how he looked on TV. Seems like a possible third scoring option, but we’ll see. He was WAY more dialed into the game than I expected. Also, Judah is going to be very special.
First time watching tonight, and he did nothing…but make shots. Which is impressive. He honestly reminds me of Buddy.

Benny busts his azz the entire time he’s on the court. He takes some dumb shots but I can’t get too mad at him when he’s effort level is consistently so high.
Actually……

oh never mind. Let’s just say the end of the second half showed something different

The problem as I see it, is that many here have a blind spot with Joe. Only see his faults. Which are clear. We heard the same about Cooney and the shots he took. Joe has faults. But this team is so very flawed he has to do much of what he does because the others are just so limited. We have two guys that I am if someone else is taking a shot, I find myself praying. Joe and Judah I am not unhappy with them taking a shot. No matter the result. If we had other players (Swider) I would fell differently. But we don't.
Agreed. Joe had a fantastic game. But I think other guys will step up and grow on offense as the season wears on. Benny, Bell, Copeland, Taylor all have potential to be solid offensive contributors. And Jesse has to become more consistent and the guys need to get him the ball in the right spots. We only had three real scorers on the 2017-18 team (Tyus, Frank and Oshae) but the team won with defense. This team needs to focus on defense and I think the offense will improve as the players gain more experience and confidence.

Actually……

oh never mind. Let’s just say the end of the second half showed something different
Maybe he was tired. Our coach should maybe try subbing our forwards in the second half tomorrow.

Crazy idea though. Wouldn’t blame JB if he doesn’t want to give it a go.

That bucket / foot work in OT was Luka-esque (and please don't think I'm comparing Judah to Luka overall, just saying that one play).
I was thinking about starting an entire thread about just that one move & basket… multiple fakes, footwork, find space, perfect angle off the board…absolutely beautiful! To have a freshman who has footwork like that is really stunning. As a Knicks fan, it’s been fun to see Jalen Brunson as a small doing similar things in the post this season too.

St. John’s finished the half on a 20-4 run to lead Temple at the half 32-30. The Johnnies defense is going to be a big problem if we play them. They’re quick, strong and physical. Mintz will see a different world tomorrow night. Have to play their dribble drive and rebound. They don’t shoot well, but they offensive rebound.
St Johns is a horrible matchup for us.

If he knows he's getting his 5 minutes each half, maybe more, he should be fine.
There will be many nights when Symir gets a lot of run and is a difference maker. Tonight just wasn't one of them. I think he'll end up averaging around 18 or so minutes per game.

Last edited:
I am. Look, we as fans remember what we see last. And we just saw a win. But we were murdered off the boards. And we still don't have a 3rd scorer. Let me put it this way, I would be very happy if we have a winning season. The good news is that at age 66, I have been wrong before. And know that I will be again. I hope it is with this team. I just think if Cole had come back, I would really like that team.
I’ve been on the same page with you about losing Cole since last spring. Or we should’ve hit the portal for an athletic small forward with high scoring ability.

I have some optimism about Bell. Not sure how he looked on TV. Seems like a possible third scoring option, but we’ll see. He was WAY more dialed into the game than I expected. Also, Judah is going to be very special.
He just needs to be a consistent fourth scoring option; JB gave him big minutes tonight, and he delivered, which should do wonders for his confidence.

Judah seems to be the real deal. He doesn't shy from the moment, and although he makes some mistakes and questionable decisions, he also makes plays that you normally only see from experienced players and/or special talents.

He just needs to be a consistent fourth scoring option; JB gave him big minutes tonight, and he delivered, which should do wonders for his confidence.

Judah seems to be the real deal. He doesn't shy from the moment, and although he makes some mistakes and questionable decisions, he also makes plays than you normally only see from experienced players and/or special talents.
Most talented scorer at guard since Dion.

Jesse got involved late, but he has to be tougher. Colgate tossed him around too. If we play the Jonnies tomorrow night, our backcourt will have their hands full. This was a huge game for Bell, but he has to rebound a little. Our forwards were nowhere to be found on the boards.
He is so soft. Doesn't stand a chance in the NBA they will destroy him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom