Say what you will about the opponent | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you will about the opponent

Exactly right. He just needs someone to yank his leash when he gets to that point. JB did not do that tonight.
If you mean yell at him, I think JB does do that usually. Especially notice it in timeouts.

If you mean take him out, I just don’t see that happening. He is still our top SG option, even with his flaws. Maybe a quick sit, but he’s not sitting for long.

I get it, but Symir has been bad this year. And I’d rather keep Judah at the 1 and build for next year.

It's important to move both Joe and Judah off the ball at times.

You and I are older. We have both seen guys come around. He is fortunate that the guys behind him, ready jb, may not be ready at this point so he is going to get more time to figure it out.
He reminds me of a young Terrance Roberts. Tons of athletic energy - not much of a plan on how to use it.

But Terrance showed signs by now that he could contribute. I don’t see that in Benny. All I see is growing frustration.

Pulling out a close win in NYC early in the year will pay dividends with a young team like this. Lot of lessons learned.

This is a game we lose the last few years
As Jon Crispin said, the team is growing up before our eyes. They’ll continue to improve and grow. We may lose tomorrow night to the Johnnies (top 35 KenPom) or Temple, but I still think the team will be much improved by the end of the season. The defense has a chance to get a lot better and our guys played gritty at the end (all those shot clock violations we forced!) I knew if JB left Bell in the game for as long as he did, Bell would eventually start knocking down shots, especially after he made the first 3. Richmond isn’t great but they’re a top 75 KenPom team. It’s a decent win and something to build off of.

Last edited:
Hopefully we’ll develop cohesion on offense. We’re rarely looking like we’re working together but it’s early.

Needed to find a way to win and did. Hopefully we’ll scrap out another tomorrow and get a lot better as the year goes on.
They lost the 3-point shooting war badly tonight, couldn't grab a rebound or loose ball to save their lives, and couldn't get Jesse involved offensively, yet still won. I'll take it.

If you mean yell at him, I think JB does do that usually. Especially notice it in timeouts.

If you mean take him out, I just don’t see that happening. He is still our top SG option, even with his flaws. Maybe a quick sit, but he’s not sitting for long.
That’s what I mean. Sit him down and let him know he needs to stop.

At this point I'll take any win Syracuse basketball can give me
So dasher, you’re still pretty pessimistic about this season and where it’s headed?

They lost the 3-point shooting war badly tonight, couldn't grab a rebound or loose ball to save their lives, and couldn't get Jesse involved offensively, yet still won. I'll take it.

Exactly! These are games that we've been losing the last couple years. Glad the new guys could figure out a way to get the W. To me, there was much better effort.

if symir was playing better, I’d agree about Judah, nut he’s just so unsteady this year. He needs to calm the heck down.

If he knows he's getting his 5 minutes each half, maybe more, he should be fine.

On the train home from the game. What a fun win! Just skimmed through this thread. Benny played with about 100 times more energy and effort than last year and the stats don’t reflect it. I’m excited about him for the first time. Joe was great except two or three ISO plays, including the last one. If it makes anyone feel better, JB spent almost the entire timeout laying into him. So Joe didn’t “get away” with anything. Judah is a warrior. Hima is a nice surprise. I think rebounding will improve. This team is very raw, but has way more potential than I expected and I agree with the people who say we should be happy any time we win this season, regardless of who we’re playing. LGO!

Hopefully we’ll develop cohesion on offense. We’re rarely looking like we’re working together but it’s early.

Needed to find a way to win and did. Hopefully we’ll scrap out another tomorrow and get a lot better as the year goes on.
If we can scrap out another win tomorrow, I’d be thrilled. The Johnnies are a lot better than people on this board think. They’re a legit top 30-40 team. And Temple is good too. They already beat Nova. It’s not gonna be easy either way.

On the train home from the game. What a fun win! Just skimmed through this thread. Benny played with about 100 times more energy and effort than last year and the stats don’t reflect it. I’m excited about him for the first time. Joe was great except two or three ISO plays, including the last one. If it makes anyone feel better, JB spent almost the entire timeout laying into him. So Joe didn’t “get away” with anything. Judah is a warrior. Hima is a nice surprise. I think rebounding will improve. This team is very raw, but has way more potential than I expected and I agree with the people who say we should be happy any time we win this season, regardless of who we’re playing. LGO!
Appreciate the perspective my friend!

So dasher, you’re still pretty pessimistic about this season and where it’s headed?
I am. Look, we as fans remember what we see last. And we just saw a win. But we were murdered off the boards. And we still don't have a 3rd scorer. Let me put it this way, I would be very happy if we have a winning season. The good news is that at age 66, I have been wrong before. And know that I will be again. I hope it is with this team. I just think if Cole had come back, I would really like that team.

I am. Look, we as fans remember what we see last. And we just saw a win. But we were murdered off the boards. And we still don't have a 3rd scorer. Let me put it this way, I would be very happy if we have a winning season. The good news is that at age 66, I have been wrong before. And know that I will be again. I hope it is with this team. I just think if Cole had come back, I would really like that team.

Yeah, if Swider was back, this would be a Top 4 ACC team, and probably Top 25.

St. John’s finished the half on a 20-4 run to lead Temple at the half 32-30. The Johnnies defense is going to be a big problem if we play them. They’re quick, strong and physical. Mintz will see a different world tomorrow night. Have to play their dribble drive and rebound. They don’t shoot well, but they offensive rebound.

I can’t forget that we are very very young…even Benny….he’s basically a freshman out there. Bell playing through his mistakes for me is the big take today. It’s clear that Boeheim likes his potential. Copeland was an emotional firecracker on the sideline today. It sucks he didn’t play but it really wasn’t the right game for him today. I’ll take any win and in any way we can right now

I have some optimism about Bell. Not sure how he looked on TV. Seems like a possible third scoring option, but we’ll see. He was WAY more dialed into the game than I expected. Also, Judah is going to be very special.

I can’t forget that we are very very young…even Benny….he’s basically a freshman out there. Bell playing through his mistakes for me is the big take today. It’s clear that Boeheim likes his potential. Copeland was an emotional firecracker on the sideline today. It sucks he didn’t play but it really wasn’t the right game for him today. I’ll take any win and in any way we can right now
We had six turnovers and scored 27 points off their turnovers. Copeland hasn’t learned to value the ball yet.

I think tomorrow's game is a better fit for Copeland. I'll bet he sees some time.

I have some optimism about Bell. Not sure how he looked on TV. Seems like a possible third scoring option, but we’ll see. He was WAY more dialed into the game than I expected. Also, Judah is going to be very special.
I saw him in high school and couldn't have been less impressed. He really didn't rebound then. And, and I'm not kidding, I didn't think he could stay in front of me if he was guarding me. It didn't help that he went 1 for 7 in the game I was at. But he has a beautiful stroke so that didn't bother me. It was everything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom