Schedule Rumors | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule Rumors

Jack McGuire is reporting a H&H with UConn. I hope we haven't stupidly agreed to this!

I'm ready to have big names back on our schedule. Not anything crazy like 1998, but I think we can handle it.

I didn't want it when we fell to the depths of hell, but I think we're past it. Yeah, bad hiccup in 2019, but we'll overcome that.

Add some variety to the schedule, interesting variety.

I don't see why we can't compete with some of the teams in the Dome. Interesting doesn't just mean Alabama. Both LSU games were there for the taking, and for one of them we had Zack Mahoney at QB!

Coulda woulda shoulda beaten LSU = L.

But yeah! It was close!
(Buss Patterson nods head in agreement. :p )

Moral victories = L.

Did you pass this on to the Mizzou AD?

Yeah, but it's Missouri. ;)

They should have held out for a 2-for-1. I still say no P5 team should ever play in Amherst.

Edit: one P5 team in 17 years (if MO doesn't back out at some point) isn't enough to change my mind.

Last edited:
I'm ready to have big names back on our schedule. Not anything crazy like 1998, but I think we can handle it.

I didn't want it when we fell to the depths of hell, but I think we're past it. Yeah, bad hiccup in 2019, but we'll overcome that.

Add some variety to the schedule, interesting variety.

I don't see why we can't compete with some of the teams in the Dome. Interesting doesn't just mean Alabama. Both LSU games were there for the taking, and for one of them we had Zack Mahoney at QB!

yes, exactly. I’m talking like Mizzou, Baylor, Texas A&M, West Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, you get the picture here.

Rutgers doesn’t count cause well...it’s Rutgers

and I’m fine with the other OOC games bring total cupcakes but it would be nice to see 1 big name OOC game in the dome every season

Yeah, but it's Missouri. ;)

They should have held out for a 2-for-1. I still say no P5 team should ever play in Amherst.
If UMass gets their stadium upgraded as promised and seating is at least 25K and we get a 2 for 1...just saying.

Syracuse is not well positioned to out bid schools like Ohio State and Michigan for home onlys or 2 for 1s.
If UMass gets their stadium upgraded as promised and seating is at least 25K and we get a 2 for 1...just saying.
I agree. This is exactly with we did with Liberty.

2 for 1s are important for us to get us to our goal of playing 7 home games every season.

2 for 1s are not easy to get. If we can get them where the away game is played in an area where we recruit and an area where we have a strong fan presence, to me, it is a no brainer. I think if MAC schools sign up for 2 for 1s or away onlys, they are going to prefer to do it with nearby P5 schools (i.e. B1G schools). Our best bet to get 2 for 1s are schools like UMass, UConn, UB and Temple. Schools that are close by and play at the FBS level.

If we can't get these schools, look to book 2 for 1s with MAC schools. Hopefully ones that are close by or near Chicago or Detroit.

Army and Navy would be great but I think their cache as military academies that is going to allow them to consistently schedule home and homes with P5 schools. I would be shocked if we were able to get a 2 for 1 with each of them.

I think it would be a good move to see if we can get 2 for 1s with FIU or/and FAU. USF too for that matter (I doubt they would do it but it can't hurt to ask).

Syracuse is not well positioned to out bid schools like Ohio State and Michigan for home onlys or 2 for 1s.

I agree. This is exactly with we did with Liberty.

2 for 1s are important for us to get us to our goal of playing 7 home games every season.

2 for 1s are not easy to get. If we can get them where the away game is played in an area where we recruit and an area where we have a strong fan presence, to me, it is a no brainer. I think if MAC schools sign up for 2 for 1s or away onlys, they are going to prefer to do it with nearby P5 schools (i.e. B1G schools). Our best bet to get 2 for 1s are schools like UMass, UConn, UB and Temple. Schools that are close by and play at the FBS level.

If we can't get these schools, look to book 2 for 1s with MAC schools. Hopefully ones that are close by or near Chicago or Detroit.

Army and Navy would be great but I think their cache as military academies that is going to allow them to consistently schedule home and homes with P5 schools. I would be shocked if we were able to get a 2 for 1 with each of them.

I think it would be a good move to see if we can get 2 for 1s with FIU or/and FAU. USF too for that matter (I doubt they would do it but it can't hurt to ask).
Georgia State might be up for a 2-for-1. They now play at the former Turner Field/Olympic Stadium. Then again, they did just win at Tennessee.

UMass is pumping money into the football program, as dropping back down to FCS isn't going to happen, so this is definitely a possibility. As far as I know from what I follow there isn't anything major on the table right now for their stadium and until they add seats I'm not sure they would have enough room to fit all of the Syracuse fans that would like to attend. Obviously this isn't a concern for Missouri.

I would honestly be embarrassed for Syracuse fans to see the inside of my alma mater's stadium as it stands right now so if it ever happens (I doubt it will) hopefully its after some serious changes. There is just a ZERO % chance a game happens at Gillette.

Also, I don't think there is any chance at all UMass agrees to play us in football without a home and home or 2-for-1 basketball series being in the deal.

Really what Syracuse needs is for the SEC to up its conference schedule to 9 games so the ACC will follow suit.
Then if we have a 9 game conference schedule it requires only 2 nonconference games scheduled each year as the FCS opponent would make it 10 games scheduled off the bat.

Syracuse isn't getting a position of 7 home games every year unless we sign 2 for 1 series.
Liberty fulfilled that.
2021 is 7 home games because of the Liberty series.
2022 is 7 home games because that is year Notre Dame is our home game from its ACC commitment. We still have a 2022 opening that should be a road game so we have 7 home games another year.
2023 we have 7 home games because of the Western MI home game banked from playing them on the road this year.
2024 we 6 current home games and should schedule a home game from a series we will play 2022 on the road.

I am betting this stupid UConn series will be 2022 at UConn, 2024 at Syracuse.
Wildhack gets all this love but if we sign UConn home/home its bias of people liking him on his job performance. The guy has been okay nothing special nothing bad.

Coulda woulda shoulda beaten LSU = L.

But yeah! It was close!
(Buss Patterson nods head in agreement. :p )

Moral victories = L.

Agree that there are no moral victories. But we lost to Middle Tennessee State. Maryland took us to the woodshed and they were god awful.

There's no exact science. If adding a good P5 program to the schedule is a recipe for disaster then we're probably already a disaster.

We’re scheduling them because it’s an easy game for a lot of our fans to attend. I’m all for it.
so is the Dome.

and BC every other year.

UMass is pumping money into the football program, as dropping back down to FCS isn't going to happen, so this is definitely a possibility. As far as I know from what I follow there isn't anything major on the table right now for their stadium and until they add seats I'm not sure they would have enough room to fit all of the Syracuse fans that would like to attend. Obviously this isn't a concern for Missouri.

I would honestly be embarrassed for Syracuse fans to see the inside of my alma mater's stadium as it stands right now so if it ever happens (I doubt it will) hopefully its after some serious changes. There is just a ZERO % chance a game happens at Gillette.

Also, I don't think there is any chance at all UMass agrees to play us in football without a home and home or 2-for-1 basketball series being in the deal.
I meant to bring up the possibility of using basketball as a sweetener to get a 2 for 1 or home only. UMass or
UB. I doubt we would agree to a home and home in basketball to get a 2 for 1 in football but for a cash strapped athletic department, a couple of away games at the Dome might be attractive enough to get a 2 for 1 in football.

UB, UMass, Temple, UConn, I am looking at you.

Last edited:
so is the Dome.

and BC every other year.

If you live in the N.Y. metro area, Southern New New England, Massachusetts, and a number of other places, East Hartford, Connecticut is easier to get to than Syracuse. And if go to SU as many six times each fall like myself, as a season ticket holder, it’s a nice option to see another game locally without having to take a plane or drive to a long distance to, say, North Carolina for a weekend. The ACC schedule, sorry to say, isn’t very appealing for the most part for football or basketball road trips.

Zero likes for this post. Shocker.

Really glad this mentality is not shared by Dino, Wildhack, et al.

We need W’s. Period, end of story.
There are no bonus points for degree of difficulty.

L’s to big name programs = L’s.
Period.
There are no good L’s.

We haven’t won a game in the OOC vs a “big name program” in ages.

We get Clemson every year.
Ditto FSU.
And ND every few years also.

We absolutely, positively do NOT need to add additional difficult games to our schedule.

Yes, but the visibility you get from playing major programs in iconic settings does have some value in recruiting and fan support. No question the philosophy for now is to schedule wins, but I think that when we get to that consistently good level we may see an upgrade in the OOC scheduling

If you live in the N.Y. metro area, Southern New New England, Massachusetts, and a number of other places, East Hartford, Connecticut is easier to get to than Syracuse. And if go to SU as many six times each fall like myself, as a season ticket holder, it’s a nice option to see another game locally without having to take a plane or drive to a long distance to, say, North Carolina for a weekend. The ACC schedule, sorry to say, isn’t very appealing for the most part for football or basketball road trips.
go to bc every other year.

rutgers this year.

army in '24

there is no need for a G5.

especially them.

We’re scheduling them because it’s an easy game for a lot of our fans to attend. I’m all for it.
Have you even been to a UCrap game at their stadium? It sucks and their fans are unpleasant. I enjoyed the WMU game at their place like a thousand times more.

go to bc every other year.

rutgers this year.

army in '24

there is no need for a G5.

especially them.

So you see how few options there are. Can’t make BC most years if it falls on Thanksgiving weekend. Family is in Jersey. Can’t make it this year. I’m in education and can’t get Friday off. I’m going to Rutgers. Army? The world could end by 2024.

So you see how few options there are. Can’t make BC most years if it falls on Thanksgiving weekend. Family is in Jersey. Can’t make it this year. I’m in education and can’t get Friday off. I’m going to Rutgers. Army? The world could end by 2024.
Oh dear.

There is realism, there is pessimism and then there is doomism. I believe you have crossed into the latter category now.

Oh dear.

There is realism, there is pessimism and then there is doomism. I believe you have crossed into the latter category now.

Im joking. I’m glad you noticed that.