Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC

Have zero issues with Red getting it
And for those who don’t know Red, you literally cannot have a better guy. Loyal, honest, charismatic and absolutely loves the game and helping kids. I would be more than okay with him as coach. I’ve spent quite a bit of time with him and he knows the game as much as anyone

Also limited downside. Both of these guys can recruit and with the portal now lots of other issues can be masked.

also have to consider who would’ve taken the jobs honestly...
I get that there's some logic in saying it's a bold new world and so maybe it doesn't actually matter that they don't have any experience but... why are we assuming somebody a bit more proven at least by the old rules wouldn't take the job?

I mean these are the jobs to get.

Yes I’m aware of your opinion it will be Autry but please continue repeating it for another couple hundred posts
And im aware of your position so please dont repeat it.

Alright sports fans, let's be honest here:

Scheyer and Davis as assistants have been around more winning, better recruiting, deeper tournament runs, have coached more NBA players, and overall have accomplished more than our assistants, and DUKE AND UNC ARE INSANE FOR NAMING THEM AS HEAD COACHES FOLLOWING LEGENDS.

We can take the crazy crown though if we name Red or GMAC to be HC when JB is done. Is that what we want? The crazy crown? Because let me tell ya, heavy is the head...
Scheyer landed Zion. UNC has All-Americans.

We land great players who never step on campus…Donte Greene - Mr. Dynasty - is the last “great” recruit to land on campus.

We have spent <10% of the last five years in the Top 25. Duke is +90% and NC +80%. I do not think we can pretend this apples to apples.

Last edited:
Schemer landed Zion. UNC has All-Americans.

We land great players who never step on campus…Donte Greene - Mr. Dynasty - is the last “great” recruit to land on campus.

We have spent <10% of the last five years in the Top 25. Duke is +90% and NC +80%. I do not think we can pretend this apples to apples.

Ehh chicken little. We have the same amount of NCAA wins as each school the last decade. Still I agree that the position will go to Hop, Autry or Gmac.

Schemer landed Zion. UNC has All-Americans.

Does Scheyer land him if K isn't the HC? I'll take the under. Scheyer isn't Hop. He is selling playing for the guy with the most wins in history.

Scheyer and Davis as assistants have been around more winning, better recruiting, deeper tournament runs, have coached more NBA players, and overall have accomplished more than our assistants, and DUKE AND UNC ARE INSANE FOR NAMING THEM AS HEAD COACHES FOLLOWING LEGENDS.

We can take the crazy crown though if we name Red or GMAC to be HC when JB is done. Is that what we want? The crazy crown? Because let me tell ya, heavy is the head...
I think this means that when Cal leaves Kentucky then World Wise Wes is taking over the coaching ;)

Does Scheyer land him if K isn't the HC? I'll take the under. Scheyer isn't Hop. He is selling playing for the guy with the most wins in history.
Selling and “buying “

I think both teams obviously could have paid big money to go after a big name coach which I'm not sure why they wouldn't when they have the $$$ & opportunity Is to get just about anybody I would think, maybe they know something we don't, tell the truth I hope that's the fact!
One reason why I could say this is legitimate but small reason at this point but we shall see is that there is a trend of former players power 5 players coming back to coach their album Alma mata's, NBA.

Another thing that is very risky is that you are taking chances on coaches, assistant coaches for that matter that don't have any head coaching experience when you're a blue blood program. that is kind of baffling to me .

I think both teams obviously could have paid big money to go after a big name coach which I'm not sure why they wouldn't when they have the $$$ & opportunity Is to get just about anybody I would think, maybe they know something we don't, tell the truth I hope that's the fact!
One reason why I could say this is legitimate but small reason at this point but we shall see is that there is a trend of former players power 5 players coming back to coach their album Alma mata's, NBA.
I think the basic logic is that you're already at the top, so you don't want to get better (there's nowhere upward left to go), you want continuity and to defend your spot. An in-house hire might be evaluated as introducing less risk to being dethroned than a new external hire and whatever vulnerability they might present.

I just think that's a really risky way to go. And, acknowledging... reality is we're not on the same standing as Duke and UNC. So for us it would be even riskier.

Continuity. Those two are supposed to keep it going. IF they flop then time to see what's out there.

And with the way the game is going, those jobs might not be a sweet as they were even five years ago.
I agree... I'm torn and go back and forth with my thoughts on this. I would be happy with Red or Hop and like you said, if they flop, time to see what's out there. The thing I like with what Duke and UNC did with their replacements was insure there was some continuity to what the program does and hopefully not create any destabilizing change. I for one don't want to see the zone leave as our primary D, however there are so many other things we can add to our options with a creative coach that's familiar with our zone. It's clearly a huge advantage when we get in the tourney. I'm not sure how it would feel watching an outside guy come in and significantly change the identity and/or culture of the of the program.

I made this point in another thread, but it wasn’t like some great candidates were interested either. I also would like to see data whether or not hiring from outside works more than hiring from within. Anyway I think those two hires along with Woodson at Indiana pretty much guarantees we will pick from a pool of 2-3 candidates and everyone knows who those candidates are.
JB is all the evidence you need that hiring from within has its advantages. Stability is a hallmark of successful programs. If we hire externally and that coach is successful, Syracuse will not be his last stop. Follow the money.

after watching this video multiple times, im on the gmac train for next head coach at SU after JAB retires. His passion, energy and love for cuse is so evident.

If in the Cuse family if it’s not Mike Hopkins I will be disappointed but I am not making the call.

I think Autry over GMac as well.
Autry has seniority and experience outside of SU.

Last edited:
I’d settle for a coach that teaches offense. No matter who the hire is, it will be extremely difficult to keep the 2-3 strength the way Boeheim innovates and changes it on the fly. Not saying it can’t be done; but not many coaches can run the 2-3 with anywhere near the success Boeheim does.

Do we have the luxury of making a home team (i.e., current assistant) pick given where we are in the current landscape? I’d throw the world at Hop, but Red and Mac haven’t earned that IMO.

I can't support anyone on the bench currently to replace JAB.
You take GMAC...great guy//loves the CUSE...OK.
What experience does he have outside of SU b'ball?
Who could he bring in as assistant coaches?

Autry or Hopkins...don't excite me.

This program NEEDS NEW BLOOD!

What have we seen recently...a program that plays one defense and 7 1/2 players a game.
Where do they play...in a facility that can easily hold 30,000 a game in a place that can be LOUDER than ANY other. So why not play a brand of ball that MAKES that facility a home team advantage.
Why not get a coaching staff that can attract and develop the higher echelon of D1 talent?
We don't have the brand or the staff and come late February we reside on the bubble.
And there is more and more silver in the stands on TV broadcasts and I'm not talking about the color of hair.

Scheyer is fine. Davis is fine. Autry or McNamara will be fine. Hopkins would be fine.

A few years ago, Shaka Smart was a "can't miss" candidate. Young, intelligent, diverse, a proven winner, aggressive systems, etc. Went to Texas, a school with unlimited resources, and never got out of the first round of the tourney.

To have a winning program, your coach(es) need to either be able to really coach well, or really cheat well. The best programs marry the two. Syracuse will need to figure that out.

I'd go get Bobby Hurley.

I hope JB announces a date a year before Cal does.

For me, depending on the 2022 class its the man in Bama some of you still hate or G Mac. I’ve changed my mind.

If in the Cuse family if it’s not Mike Hopkins I will be disappointed but I am not making the call.

I think Autry over GMac as well.
Autry has seniority and experience outside of SU.
I have a completely new appreciation of Gmac after this interview. I wont get into the why but i obviously wasn't a fan.
This interview shows how much he has grown and matured. Wow is all i will say. Little G has definitely grown up. Between Red Hop and Gmac we have 3 excellent choices for our next head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom