Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC

A 40 year old example in changing environment doesn't really apply. Beside JB had an opportunity to be head coach at the UofR to use as leverage. What leverage do GMac and Red have?

not that it matters but wasn’t that UofR job as the golf coach?

not that it matters but wasn’t that UofR job as the golf coach?
Nope, head b-ball coach. Mike Neer took the job when JB took the SU and held it for over 30 years. When he left, the 2 of them held the longevity record. You may be remembering that JB was the SU golf coach when he first got to SU. I don't know if he was both golf and assistant bball coach at the same time

Nope, head b-ball coach. Mike Neer took the job when JB took the SU and held it for over 30 years. When he left, the 2 of them held the longevity record. You may be remembering that JB was the SU golf coach when he first got to SU. I don't know if he was both golf and assistant bball coach at the same time
Yes, this.

GMac is a great winner at all levels
As a head coach how many games has he won? We're debating his candidacy for the head coaching position.

he has great passion for the sport, is organized, enthusiastic, and has a love for the Syracuse basketball tradition.
The same can be said for thousands of SU fans. Does that mean we should all apply for the vacancy?

He’s also been recently taking the lead on all recruiting and has been with the coaching staff for 10 years.
I don't recall where it was said that he is now the primary recruiter. His resume is paper thin if you want to talk recruiting results over the last 10 years. Maybe that's not all his fault, but don't bring up his recruiting skills as if it's some kind of selling point to ADJW.

As a head coach how many games has he won? We're debating his candidacy for the head coaching position.

The same can be said for thousands of SU fans. Does that mean we should all apply for the vacancy?

I don't recall where it was said that he is now the primary recruiter. His resume is paper thin if you want to talk recruiting results over the last 10 years. Maybe that's not all his fault, but don't bring up his recruiting skills as if it's some kind of selling point to ADJW.
You are critical of every point I made; did you even listen to his interview with Devo?

Can't say someone is the "least qualified" just because he's been there the least amount of time. Whatever it takes to make a great head coach isn't measured in 'service time accrued.' Experience may be a part of it.

We can't know which of our assistants stands the best chance of being successful. I think everyone assumed Hopkins had 'it.' IMO, 'it' depends on context and situations. The same coach can go to Washington and have ups and downs. He could have gone to Duke or stayed with us and been great. JB himself might have been 'nothing' had he taken some other job.

I expect the AD will try to weigh and factor in a great many criteria. Natural intelligence, game/basketball intelligence, passion, innovation, dedication, creativity, command, personal character, 'salesmanship,' culture-building, aura, presence... lots of characteristics, traits, and skills, and few of them have anything to do with seniority. Being a great recruiter might be a skill limited to only that one facet. Being a good teacher may be a skill limited to that one facet. I hope we get someone who encompasses most of these, but it's going to be a guessing game—and a greater leap needs to be taken if the next coach doesn't have any HC experience, but even if he does, it won't have been under the same circumstances as he will be entering.

I agree that we need to scour the field to find potential candidates. But, every time someone says that 'it's stupid to just hire an alum,' they don't really post a suggestion from the outside world. As an ideal, of course we have to consider an 'other.' But, that comes with risks, too. That their 'dream job' still might be elsewhere, for one. It would not be fun to have to go through this again after 4-5 years, just because the next guy gets to a couple of Sweet 16s and his alma mater suddenly has an opening and a lot of cash.

GMac may, indeed, be the more talented coach from our current bench. It would kinda suck—from an 'appearances' perspective—for him to leapfrog Red. But, if he's the choice, i hope it's because the AD has the assessment skills to recognize that he has the 'stuff' to do the job. I'd almost rather see that happen than just to rely on seniority as the primary factor.

If you favor an outside hire, can you imagine how you'd feel to read that all the current staff had been let go and we had only 'foreigners' on the bench? As much as i want change for the program, i'm also not cool with having the axe fall on everyone.

Can't say someone is the "least qualified" just because he's been there the least amount of time. Whatever it takes to make a great head coach isn't measured in 'service time accrued.' Experience may be a part of it.

We can't know which of our assistants stands the best chance of being successful. I think everyone assumed Hopkins had 'it.' IMO, 'it' depends on context and situations. The same coach can go to Washington and have ups and downs. He could have gone to Duke or stayed with us and been great. JB himself might have been 'nothing' had he taken some other job.

I expect the AD will try to weigh and factor in a great many criteria. Natural intelligence, game/basketball intelligence, passion, innovation, dedication, creativity, command, personal character, 'salesmanship,' culture-building, aura, presence... lots of characteristics, traits, and skills, and few of them have anything to do with seniority. Being a great recruiter might be a skill limited to only that one facet. Being a good teacher may be a skill limited to that one facet. I hope we get someone who encompasses most of these, but it's going to be a guessing game—and a greater leap needs to be taken if the next coach doesn't have any HC experience, but even if he does, it won't have been under the same circumstances as he will be entering.

I agree that we need to scour the field to find potential candidates. But, every time someone says that 'it's stupid to just hire an alum,' they don't really post a suggestion from the outside world. As an ideal, of course we have to consider an 'other.' But, that comes with risks, too. That their 'dream job' still might be elsewhere, for one. It would not be fun to have to go through this again after 4-5 years, just because the next guy gets to a couple of Sweet 16s and his alma mater suddenly has an opening and a lot of cash.

GMac may, indeed, be the more talented coach from our current bench. It would kinda suck—from an 'appearances' perspective—for him to leapfrog Red. But, if he's the choice, i hope it's because the AD has the assessment skills to recognize that he has the 'stuff' to do the job. I'd almost rather see that happen than just to rely on seniority as the primary factor.

If you favor an outside hire, can you imagine how you'd feel to read that all the current staff had been let go and we had only 'foreigners' on the bench? As much as i want change for the program, i'm also not cool with having the axe fall on everyone.
Evening’s best post; thank you

I will also say, I would feel much better about Red or Gerry as potential HCs here if we were hearing a lot of conjecture about them being offered head gigs elsewhere.

We don't really hear much about that though.

I would feel much better if they were recruiting well. If they can't get kids to come play for a HOF HC, how will they get kids to come for themselves?

We know Hop can recruit, we weren't sure if he could coach. His stint at SU while JB was out plus his time at UW is a major red flag. If JB leaves and we do promote GMac/Red, I would feel a lot better if we were able to get Hop in year 2 as AHC along side them for recruiting purposes. But I am not sure that Hop will last that long at UW to be available.

I would feel much better if they were recruiting well. If they can't get kids to come play for a HOF HC, how will they get kids to come for themselves?

We know Hop can recruit, we weren't sure if he could coach. His stint at SU while JB was out plus his time at UW is a major red flag. If JB leaves and we do promote GMac/Red, I would feel a lot better if we were able to get Hop in year 2 as AHC along side them for recruiting purposes. But I am not sure that Hop will last that long at UW to be available.

I think signing Benny, Cole, and Kamari shows recruiting is definitely on the upswing compared to say 3 years ago. We also have a ton of elite prospects visiting this month.

The entire board just spazzed out about losing Kadary and Woody because the entire board thought they were great players.

This is somewhat of a lazy statement going back to 2017-18. All with JB putting in the least amount of effort in his career here.

The recent hires at Duke, UNC and Michigan, Indiana tells me that hiring from your own “family” is preferable. Syracuse basketball has always prided itself on continuity and the family atmosphere. Do you really think after 50 years of JB they suddenly go outside the family? We’ve seen both types of hires on the FB side with our recent coaching hires. I would rather roll with Hop, Red or GMAC than some unknown outside candidate who has moderate coaching success elsewhere.

I think a potential coaching staff with GMAC as head coach and assistants like Seth Greenberg, Rob Murphy, and Devo would be great. Having 2 experienced former head coaches on staff with connections in our traditional recruiting strongholds would be outstanding
Exactly

Don’t know if anyone else saw the Scheyer interview on Packer and Durham this morning but I thought he was pretty impressive.

I’m not necessarily saying that I agree with it, but I think there is zero to no chance that the next coach comes from the outside. Some reasons why:

1) Are there any coaches that would undoubtably elevate Syracuse to elite status who are actually available? Jay Wright isn’t leaving Nova. I’d feel very confident hiring Nate Oats, but is he available? Bobby Hurley...no thanks, he hasn’t proven anything and is a maniac on the sidelines. His act would wear thin pretty quick. Boyton hasn’t proven anything and only got Cunningham because his brother was on staff. There are some other up and comers and will be more in the coming years, but no one who has proven that they can lead a power 5 team to elite status.

2) JB will see to it that the next hire comes down to either Hop, Gmac, or Red. I’m certainly not the biggest JB fan, but with that said he is loyal sometimes to a fault. He’s even said that about himself in press conferences. I’m sure he will have conversations with Hop in the near future about his availability. If it takes stepping down in September to assure Gmac or Red getting the job, I think that’s what he’d do.

3) Syracuse basketball begins and ends with JB, and therefore the program is one big family. Former players talk about that all the time. If they hire an outsider, there is little chance Gmac and Red would stay on staff. Maybe Griff does, and the new coach could look to hire other Syracuse alum to fill their spots, but I just don’t see JW breaking up “the family” at this point in time.

4) UNC and Duke just laid out the blueprint. Although those programs are a notch above ours, they are very similar in history, tradition, and having alums make up the coaching staff.

Again, I’m not saying I agree with this, and I truly hope JW conducts a national search when the time comes and hires the best coach possible, regardless of program affiliation. And if Gmac and Red leave for head coaching jobs elsewhere while JB is still at the helm, these reasons all become moot. However, if things stay status quo between now and then, I just don’t see any way that our next coach isn’t either Hop, Gmac, or Red. The interesting development will be if Hop turns it down and the choice comes down to Gmac or Red. Red is the associate head coach which might hold some weight in JW’s eyes, but from what I’ve gathered I think Gmac would be JB’s recommendation. Either way, as Jeff Goodman mentioned on a recent podcast, that will be a very interesting decision if it comes down to that.

Last edited:
What everyone is failing to recognize - it all depends on WHEN JB wants to retire. Likely will do so in the summer, so that one of his guys will get the job. The leash is a LOT shorter for the next HC at Syracuse, if that scenario plays out.

What everyone is failing to recognize - it all depends on WHEN JB wants to retire. Likely will do so in the summer, so that one of his guys will get the job. The leash is a LOT shorter for the next HC at Syracuse, if that scenario plays out.

I doubt he takes the Coach K approach, announcing a season in advance to allow for the "farewell tour".

Roy Williams announced his retirement on April 1.

I’ve read a lot of these posts and I’m not sure I’m getting the full picture.

Seems like the prevailing argument is “JB picking his successor would be bad” but the reasons seem unclear at best?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom