Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC

Timing actually works out nicely for us. Hop has had experience and we’re smarter about what he can do. Duke and UNC going to unproven alums is a litmus test. It’s not apples to apples but if they’re a disaster, that will inform our decision. If they work out smoothly, that will inform our decision.

after watching this video multiple times, im on the gmac train for next head coach at SU after JAB retires. His passion, energy and love for cuse is so evident.
Yeah, so, the thing is if a podcast interview with Devo has any bearing on the athletic department's decision to hire the next HC that isn't exactly refuting the insanity already displayed by UNC and Duke and that by hiring internally we're absolutely stealing the crazy crown for ourselves.

Timing actually works out nicely for us. Hop has had experience and we’re smarter about what he can do. Duke and UNC going to unproven alums is a litmus test. It’s not apples to apples but if they’re a disaster, that will inform our decision. If they work out smoothly, that will inform our decision.
Ooooooooh man that's scary logic to me.

after watching this video multiple times, im on the gmac train for next head coach at SU after JAB retires. His passion, energy and love for cuse is so evident.

I have passion, energy and love for Cuse - in fact, longer than GMac- but don’t think I should be the next head coach.

If I’m going for heart surgery, as much as I love enthusiasm and positive bed side manner, give me the doctor that can do the job the best. Not saying GMac isn’t great, but I just think we could do better than our Captain America in this role.

Love and fishing poles don’t win games.

Yeah, so, the thing is if a podcast interview with Devo has any bearing on the athletic department's decision to hire the next HC that isn't exactly refuting the insanity already displayed by UNC and Duke and that by hiring internally we're absolutely stealing the crazy crown for ourselves.
Devos podcast is for entertainment purposes but it also gives us fans a great insight into GMAC’s passion and basketball knowledge. He has won at every level and his ability to relate to teammates and current players appears unmatched. By the way I find it odd that neither Red or Allan Griffin have not participated in Devo’s podcast. I did a search of both coaches and can’t find any recent interviews about either to highlight or show their knowledge and personalities.

Duke just hired a 37-year-old unproven assistant and look at the way Coach K orchestrated the hire. In my opinion Syracuse and JAB will follow the same model.

Devos podcast is for entertainment purposes but it also gives us fans a great insight into GMAC’s passion and basketball knowledge. He has won at every level and his ability to relate to teammates and current players appears unmatched. By the way I find it odd that neither Red or Allan Griffin have not participated in Devo’s podcast. I did a search of both coaches and can’t find any recent interviews about either to highlight or show their knowledge and personalities.

Duke just hired a 37-year-old unproven assistant and look at the way Coach K orchestrated the hire. In my opinion Syracuse and JAB will follow the same model.

If we're hiring someone based on how popular their podcast was, the only choices are either Paul Harris or Dion Waiters.

Cuz it worked out so poorly last time?

As I have mentioned before, that was almost a half century ago when we were a regional Eastern school. Circumstances have slightly changed in the last 50 years. If you want to hire an assistant, fine. But be smarter than to use that logic.

Honestly, that would have been ridiculous and such a insult to Red. He is ahead of G-mac in the coaching pecking order right now.
There is no "coaching pecking order." In the real world successful companies don't promote people based on how long they've been there. They promote who they think will be the best person for that specific job. A company that promotes solely based on who "deserves" a job will eventually find themselves with deserving but unqualified people in charge.

JB undoubtedly knows the coaches on his staff better than anyone else. But it is NOT JB's job to hire the next coach. If he wanted that responsibility he should have become AD when it was his for the asking when Jake Crouthamel retired in 2004.

I like Red for the job. Primarily because he was my favorite as a player out of the assumed candidates. But I also think Red may have better recruiting connections than GMac. But why not Griff? Leaving and coming back should be irrelevant. Lastly, yes, JB has earned a lot of respect and deference. But he has not earned the right to determine his own successor. While I like Red for the job...if I had to guess I would say Wildhack will cast a much wider net than we think. That IS his job. To hire the best head coach he can find. Not the best SU grad or former assistant he can find. I would like to see all 3 of our current assistant coaches get head jobs soon. Time for one or two fresher, younger blood to be included on the bench.

What an absolutely enjoyable 60 minutes. I heartily recommend listening.

Duke and UNC can take the continuity angle since they are at the top. They can say that they are trying to keep things going. SU hasn't been relevant during the regular season since our first year in the ACC. Continuity in our case would be mediocrity. We don't want to keep things going but want to improve where we currently are. How can we improve by hiring within? If the answer was internal then we wouldn't be struggling to recruit.

I can't support anyone on the bench currently to replace JAB.
You take GMAC...great guy//loves the CUSE...OK.
What experience does he have outside of SU b'ball?
Who could he bring in as assistant coaches?

Autry or Hopkins...don't excite me.

This program NEEDS NEW BLOOD! Ypu mean like GERG and Dino on the FB side

What have we seen recently...a program that plays one defense and 7 1/2 players a game.
Where do they play...in a facility that can easily hold 30,000 a game in a place that can be LOUDER than ANY other. So why not play a brand of ball that MAKES that facility a home team advantage.
Why not get a coaching staff that can attract and develop the higher echelon of D1 talent?
We don't have the brand or the staff and come late February we reside on the bubble.
And there is more and more silver in the stands on TV broadcasts and I'm not talking about the color of hair.
Love and fishing poles don’t win games.
What a ridiculous comment. GMac is a great winner at all levels, has great passion for the sport, is organized, enthusiastic, and has a love for the Syracuse basketball tradition. He’s also been recently taking the lead on all recruiting and has been with the coaching staff for 10 years. I don’t think we find a better candidate with these types of Syracuse connections.

What a ridiculous comment. GMac is a great winner at all levels, has great passion for the sport, is organized, enthusiastic, and has a love for the Syracuse basketball tradition. He’s also been recently taking the lead on all recruiting and has been with the coaching staff for 10 years. I don’t think we find a better candidate with these types of Syracuse connections.

"these types of Syracuse connections" is WILDLY OVERRATED.

Unlike GMac.

HOWEVER - GMac is literally the LEAST QUALIFIED guy of all the former players who have coached for us.

Hop, Red, and Griff ALL have more coaching experience.
And - all of them have coached at other programs, not just at Syracuse.

I was gonna say "I'll never understand all of the 'GMac for HC' love, when he's not even close to the most qualified guy on the current staff" - but I get it.

Spunky white guard. People love that.
Lunchpail guy, gym rat, coach on the floor, plays the right way, yada yada yada.

Unlike GMac.

HOWEVER - GMac is literally the LEAST QUALIFIED guy of all the former players who have coached for us.

I was gonna say "I'll never understand all of the 'GMac for HC' love, when he's not even close to the most qualified guy on the current staff" - but I get it.

Lunchpail guy, gym rat, coach on the floor, plays the right way, yada yada yada.

That's how I feel. He's a great winner at all levels (at least high school and college)... as a player.

Unlike GMac.

How qualified was JAB in 1976???

How qualified was JAB in 1976???

Walruses and Oranges.

Syracuse wasn't a national hoops power back then.
We played in Manley, not the Dome.
Against a bunch of NYS and regional rivals, most of whom are now completely irrelevant.
We were basically the equivalent of a spunky mid-major back then.
So, hiring a guy with limited experience would be perfectly fine for that sorta situation.

When the time finally comes (and I'm in the camp that it'll be several more years, minimum, before it does) that we need to replace JAB, I truly hope we hire like a Top Five ALL TIME program, and not a spunky mid-major.

(that doesn't mean that one of: Hop, Red, Griff, GMac, Buddy, etc. won't possibly end up being the choice - just that we will NOT limit ourselves to only them)

Walruses and Oranges.

Syracuse wasn't a national hoops power back then.
We played in Manley, not the Dome.
Against a bunch of NYS and regional rivals, most of whom are now completely irrelevant.
We were basically the equivalent of a spunky mid-major back then.
So, hiring a guy with limited experience would be perfectly fine for that sorta situation.

When the time finally comes (and I'm in the camp that it'll be several more years, minimum, before it does) that we need to replace JAB, I truly hope we hire like a Top Five ALL TIME program, and not a spunky mid-major.

(that doesn't mean that one of: Hop, Red, Griff, GMac, Buddy, etc. won't possibly end up being the choice - just that we will NOT limit ourselves to only them)
The recent hires at Duke, UNC and Michigan, Indiana tells me that hiring from your own “family” is preferable. Syracuse basketball has always prided itself on continuity and the family atmosphere. Do you really think after 50 years of JB they suddenly go outside the family? We’ve seen both types of hires on the FB side with our recent coaching hires. I would rather roll with Hop, Red or GMAC than some unknown outside candidate who has moderate coaching success elsewhere.

I think a potential coaching staff with GMAC as head coach and assistants like Seth Greenberg, Rob Murphy, and Devo would be great. Having 2 experienced former head coaches on staff with connections in our traditional recruiting strongholds would be outstanding

Last edited:
I think a considerable group of our fans, both on and off this board, overvalue our program when having this conversation. We may be a top 5-10 program of all time but our job isn't nationally viewed as a top 5-10 job.

Because our coach has been here for twice as long as I've been alive its absolutely a tough thing to gauge. We could have a top 15-20ish job as most view it, it could be a top 5 job for a long list of reasons, or it could be a mediocre-undesirable P5 position for a shorter list of reasons.

I say that because I'm less bullish on what the market is going to be for outside candidates, especially for the initial hire after JB. Unless we offer an insane amount of money I have a hard time envisioning either an established coach at what most of us view a "peer" school dipping to come here or a rising star like Nate Oats packing it up at Bama to come to Cuse.

So, while I expect ADJW to conduct a full national search I have zero expectations of grabbing a dude that we will all view as a home-run, A+ hire. Not because we didn't try and didn't make offers but because the market for who wants the job isn't as awesome as most think it is.

Hop, an assistant, or a guy like Boynton who is young and promising but not as established/successful seems likely to me and I'm fine with it. But if it goes poorly that second hire 3-4 years later better be great or else I will be very nervous for what the program looks like for the extended future.

Edit: I know there are people (especially those generations before me) who vehemently disagree with that take but the perception of the program can be much different from my viewpoint as a 23 year old. Who is as much of a diehard as anyone on this board.

Continuity. Those two are supposed to keep it going. IF they flop then time to see what's out there.

And with the way the game is going, those jobs might not be a sweet as they were even five years ago.
It would be ineresting to know what kids are committed to Duke & UNC for 2022 and beyond. They were recruited with/by Hall of Fame coaches (who sealed the deal? ) Are those kids still set on those schools? Duke regularly gets at least a top 10 recruiting class, with UNC in that range. That goes a long ways towards continuity. If Scheyer and Davis can't get off to a good start with those types of recruits then they won't last. That said the next SU coach be it Red or GMac or an outsider won't have that advantage.

I think a considerable group of our fans, both on and off this board, overvalue our program when having this conversation. We may be a top 5-10 program of all time but our job isn't nationally viewed as a top 5-10 job.

Because our coach has been here for twice as long as I've been alive its absolutely a tough thing to gauge. We could have a top 15-20ish job as most view it, it could be a top 5 job for a long list of reasons, or it could be a mediocre-undesirable P5 position for a shorter list of reasons.

I say that because I'm less bullish on what the market is going to be for outside candidates, especially for the initial hire after JB. Unless we offer an insane amount of money I have a hard time envisioning either an established coach at what most of us view a "peer" school dipping to come here or a rising star like Nate Oats packing it up at Bama to come to Cuse.

So, while I expect ADJW to conduct a full national search I have zero expectations of grabbing a dude that we will all view as a home-run, A+ hire. Not because we didn't try and didn't make offers but because the market for who wants the job isn't as awesome as most think it is.

Hop, an assistant, or a guy like Boynton who is young and promising but not as established/successful seems likely to me and I'm fine with it. But if it goes poorly that second hire 3-4 years later better be great or else I will be very nervous for what the program looks like for the extended future.

Edit: I know there are people (especially those generations before me) who vehemently disagree with that take but the perception of the program can be much different from my viewpoint as a 23 year old. Who is as much of a diehard as anyone on this board.
You are probably going to be disappointed. I seriously doubt there will be a national search. It will be an in-house promotion or Hop.

Hop has coached his way out of contention. If he has a resurrection, he stays at UW. JB, in the mean time, is not going any place.

JB is all the evidence you need that hiring from within has its advantages. Stability is a hallmark of successful programs. If we hire externally and that coach is successful, Syracuse will not be his last stop. Follow the money.
A 40 year old example in changing environment doesn't really apply. Beside JB had an opportunity to be head coach at the UofR to use as leverage. What leverage do GMac and Red have?

I totally agree

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom