Schools pausing/cancelling basketball activities... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Schools pausing/cancelling basketball activities...

i think uconn basketball has been on pause awhile now.
Second pause for them. Their football team didn’t even try to play.

And oh yes, their women’s basketball team is paused for COVID as well.

They are without doubt doing the worst job of managing athletics in this pandemic. It isn’t even close.

Two days until RU... Just waiting to hear they have another pause on their end and our game is cancelled.

What is going to be the threshold for the leagues to officially hit the pause button until 2021?

Two days until RU... Just waiting to hear they have another pause on their end and our game is cancelled.

What is going to be the threshold for the leagues to officially hit the pause button until 2021?
I'm way too excited for Rutgers game (and Bills tomorrow.) Don't take this away from me 2020!

I don’t get why basketball is having such issues. Seems like football teams can have multiple cases and nothing gets cancelled.

I don’t get why basketball is having such issues. Seems like football teams can have multiple cases and nothing gets cancelled.
In football there seems to be a ton of compartmentalization... QBs, Oline, D vs O, WRs etc... In hoops they don't have separate team meetings per position group etc... the players tend to be much more together and it's all indoors. Once Covid gets into a hoops program it probably can spread pretty quickly through out the entire program.

In football there seems to be a ton of compartmentalization... QBs, Oline, D vs O, WRs etc... In hoops they don't have separate team meetings per position group etc... the players tend to be much more together and it's all indoors. Once Covid gets into a hoops program it probably can spread pretty quickly through out the entire program.

They still practice together. I think football just goes by their own rules. If teams want to make it to March I think each school needs to bubble their players.

They still practice together. I think football just goes by their own rules. If teams want to make it to March I think each school needs to bubble their players.

Football has been working on this since the summer too. Plus the 200k positives reported daily creates a lot more opportunity to catch it than before. Also fball practicing in larger spaces too.

Rhode Island is playing Wisconsin and Toledo is rumored to be playing Michigan.

If we get cancellations it shouldn’t be hard to find another opponent.
Both ACC teams Louisville and NC State had the Covid issues.

So how would the 64 teams be selected with all these pauses?

How would you compare a 20-10 team vs a 10-5 team? What about teams that played 2 games the entire season because everybody cancelled on them?

This is why early on they suggested letting everyone into March Madness? You sent 300 invites out and first 68 to accept gets to play?

Of course, if there are further positive tests within the program, it’s hard to know exactly what would happen. Multiple positives and it’s hard to see the Huskies able to break quarantine prior to the 14-day deadline. One or two positives, from a roommate of the infected player or the like, and it’s possible the rest of the team could be allowed to play, as is as is currently the case with Syracuse.

The Orange have played games over the past week without several players — one of whom tested positive, the others considered close contacts who must quarantine for 14 days. But the rest of the team plays on.

Earlier in the season, a Syracuse player and coach Jim Boeheim tested positive for COVID-19. The Orange were required to pause while the positive cases spent 10 days in isolation and everyone else served a 14-day quarantine. In the more recent case, Syracuse was able to use data collected from a wristwatch-like device to convince local health officials to quarantine only people identified by the data as close contacts.

UConn is not using such data-collecting devices at this time. All contract tracing is simply done by figuring out, through interviews and otherwise, who has been close to whom during certain times.

Guess that Big East money can’t do much