Scouting report Ron Patterson | Syracusefan.com

Scouting report Ron Patterson

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
From Jarama Valley

I used to post a lot on the Indiana forum and I used to blog and have been following my beloved Indiana high school basketball and AAU stuff for years, and Patterson is one of the kids I've probably seen the most over the years.

First thing you have to brush off is the notion that he's not ranked and that Indiana didn't want him and let him go. Both notions are totally hogwash. The Brewster coach said if Indiana has 13 better players than Patterson you should hand over the title to them right now. Indiana is good, but Patterson would've been a nice boost even as a freshman.

No offense to the ratings guys as I know they work hard and I enjoy their product and the fruits of their labor, but they don't seem to value building a team. Patterson is better than most of the four star guards in 2012 and 2013.

The knock on Patterson is true, but overblown. He's got a below average handle for a smallish 2 guard. He can get to the basket and will do so (he can score from anywhere on the floor) but he still lacks that awesome handle that would make him a more elite offensive player.

He's a good shooter from deep, but a little streaky. He's got nice athleticism and good leaping ability. Not a freak, but real nice at any level. He's a wonderful passer. Crean always pushed the idea to him that he'd wind up a point guard in a few years because he sees the floor so well and has nice passing ability. You have to watch high school games to see that much, in AAU he was strictly a wing. The handle is certainly an obstacle to his future at point, but some kids make strides there so who knows.

Defensively he might be the best wing defender in the 12/13 classes. He has a +12 reach. Crean said he was the only +12 kid he'd ever recruited or even heard of. In school and AAU he absolutely gives fits to the best players he goes against. Indianapolis is one of the most talent laden basketball cities in the country and there's also excellent coaching compared to some of the other basketball hotspots. Ron's length and lateral quickness are a sight to behold. I've seen games where he over plays passing lanes and gets beat where a less gifted star defender might hold his position instead, but that's something he'll get coached fairly easily into.

IU and Syracuse are two of the most tradition rich programs out there and both have had their share of defensive monsters. I've been an IU fan since the 80s and I've never been more excited about a kids' potential defensive impact on the program than I was with Patterson.

Best part about Ron is his street fighter, toughness, brawlers mentality. He doesn't get techs and yell at the officials, but he is practically dripping with passion when he plays. I can't count how many times late in a game I've seen him come up with multiple defensive plays to win a game late in the game. He's a brawler. He's tough as nails. I'm a bit of a man to man purist and in a way its a shame he's going to Syracuse because he's potentially the best man to man defender in the class. But his +12 wingspan is going to absolutely kill people in your zone defense.

You'll hear people tell you that Crean could've kept him and let him go because he was over 13 scholarship number, but its pure hogwash. Crean had a kid that was going off scholarship and going to pay his way but Ron didn't meet a condition in IU's very odd summer program for kids that weren't able to get admitted through traditional channels. The extra year of prep school will eliminate any of those concerns for you guys, he's actually eligible to play this year.

I know most fans look at a kids' ranking and think that tells the story. And I'm not a rankings basher in most cases, I think those guys make sense generally. But it really doesn't for Ron. Ron only played a few games with the top flight Indiana Elite AAU club before he went to Indiana Elite One to follow his old AAU coach at spiece from prior years. He played with Kellon Duhnam (Butler recruit) who is one of the best shooters in the country and would also be ranked much higher if their team got watched the way Indiana Elite's top club or the best Nike AAU programs get watched. But Ron is just a good scorer, not a great scorer and at 2 guard most of their evaluations on rankings comes from scoring ability. Ron truly is a good scorer, but a 3 star scorer not an elite player like he is on defense or for intangibles on the court.

You guys lucked out getting him. I know you can get a five star kid every year and some nice recruits that look good on paper, and you will. Ron is the kind of guy that will drive a group of more talented guys to be really good. He's a defender, a brawler, and comes up huge in the clutch.

From Jarama Valley

I used to post a lot on the Indiana forum and I used to blog and have been following my beloved Indiana high school basketball and AAU stuff for years, and Patterson is one of the kids I've probably seen the most over the years.

First thing you have to brush off is the notion that he's not ranked and that Indiana didn't want him and let him go. Both notions are totally hogwash. The Brewster coach said if Indiana has 13 better players than Patterson you should hand over the title to them right now. Indiana is good, but Patterson would've been a nice boost even as a freshman.

No offense to the ratings guys as I know they work hard and I enjoy their product and the fruits of their labor, but they don't seem to value building a team. Patterson is better than most of the four star guards in 2012 and 2013.

The knock on Patterson is true, but overblown. He's got a below average handle for a smallish 2 guard. He can get to the basket and will do so (he can score from anywhere on the floor) but he still lacks that awesome handle that would make him a more elite offensive player.

He's a good shooter from deep, but a little streaky. He's got nice athleticism and good leaping ability. Not a freak, but real nice at any level. He's a wonderful passer. Crean always pushed the idea to him that he'd wind up a point guard in a few years because he sees the floor so well and has nice passing ability. You have to watch high school games to see that much, in AAU he was strictly a wing. The handle is certainly an obstacle to his future at point, but some kids make strides there so who knows.

Defensively he might be the best wing defender in the 12/13 classes. He has a +12 reach. Crean said he was the only +12 kid he'd ever recruited or even heard of. In school and AAU he absolutely gives fits to the best players he goes against. Indianapolis is one of the most talent laden basketball cities in the country and there's also excellent coaching compared to some of the other basketball hotspots. Ron's length and lateral quickness are a sight to behold. I've seen games where he over plays passing lanes and gets beat where a less gifted star defender might hold his position instead, but that's something he'll get coached fairly easily into.

IU and Syracuse are two of the most tradition rich programs out there and both have had their share of defensive monsters. I've been an IU fan since the 80s and I've never been more excited about a kids' potential defensive impact on the program than I was with Patterson.

Best part about Ron is his street fighter, toughness, brawlers mentality. He doesn't get techs and yell at the officials, but he is practically dripping with passion when he plays. I can't count how many times late in a game I've seen him come up with multiple defensive plays to win a game late in the game. He's a brawler. He's tough as nails. I'm a bit of a man to man purist and in a way its a shame he's going to Syracuse because he's potentially the best man to man defender in the class. But his +12 wingspan is going to absolutely kill people in your zone defense.

You'll hear people tell you that Crean could've kept him and let him go because he was over 13 scholarship number, but its pure hogwash. Crean had a kid that was going off scholarship and going to pay his way but Ron didn't meet a condition in IU's very odd summer program for kids that weren't able to get admitted through traditional channels. The extra year of prep school will eliminate any of those concerns for you guys, he's actually eligible to play this year.

I know most fans look at a kids' ranking and think that tells the story. And I'm not a rankings basher in most cases, I think those guys make sense generally. But it really doesn't for Ron. Ron only played a few games with the top flight Indiana Elite AAU club before he went to Indiana Elite One to follow his old AAU coach at spiece from prior years. He played with Kellon Duhnam (Butler recruit) who is one of the best shooters in the country and would also be ranked much higher if their team got watched the way Indiana Elite's top club or the best Nike AAU programs get watched. But Ron is just a good scorer, not a great scorer and at 2 guard most of their evaluations on rankings comes from scoring ability. Ron truly is a good scorer, but a 3 star scorer not an elite player like he is on defense or for intangibles on the court.

You guys lucked out getting him. I know you can get a five star kid every year and some nice recruits that look good on paper, and you will. Ron is the kind of guy that will drive a group of more talented guys to be really good. He's a defender, a brawler, and comes up huge in the clutch.

Nice, one of the most important features of a zone deference is to stop dribble penetration. Sounds like our man. Thanks for the detailed scouting report I love the potential of this recruit. We are winning with scoring by committee and defense, defense,defense. He sounds like a perfect fit on all fronts

Appreciate your info...and passion. We are pleased with Ron coming on board--though must admit I think many wanted a PG...but if Ron meets your expectations above I am sure he will prove to be a very good 'Cuse get!

sounds a bit like Triche with some extra length instead of strength. love to hear about his passing.

BJJ and Patterson are the two recruits I'm most intrigued by. Can't wait to see them get here and develop.

I was definitely impressed by his passing in some of the videos I watched. He looked unselfish. Definitly agree he seemed a streaky shooter. Thought his handle was better than what was described too.

All in all Looks like a hell of a player. Personally he reminds me of Paul harris with a better Jump shot. Right around that 6'3" height but built like a line backer. Great defender with long arms. Maybe Paul Harris was more athletic but Patterson seems to be a much better shooter.

From Jarama Valley

But but but...he's ONLY a 3-Star!!!!! A 3-Star!!!! couchburn

From Jarama Valley

Thanks for the post. I get more and more excited about Patterson's committment every time I hear about him.

Enjoyed the scouting report. Can't wait to see some Brewster games this season.

Well, if he can pass that's about half of what you're looking for from a point.

Here's hoping that handle keeps improving.

I didn't hear that much about Patterson while we were recruiting him, but this explains why the staff offered him. Seems like he'll fit in well as a back-up PG/SG who can defend the perimeter and get in the passing lanes. As the author states, ratings are useful but the staff should trust their instincts.

I also love Obokoh. 6'10" with an 85 average in school and a monster on the glass. Very respectful young man. His younger teammate, Bryant, might join him eventually. But either way, I like Obokoh with 1 star or 4 stars.

Francis does Brewster have any games anywhere near Syracuse this season? Would be awesome to get a sneak peak of Patterson AND McCullough

I love Patterson. I watch a lot of the videos and absolutely love what I see from him. He may be a streaky shooter now, but his release and footwork are really, really good. Not many kids we have had in recent years at the shooting guard position has his fundamental game. Defense only adds to it. Paul Harris with a jumpshot is my opinion. But I think Patterson has a higher basketball IQ and has a definitive position.

Francis, you planning on heading to the HoopHall Classic this year? The schedule there is stacked. Depending on my work schedule I'm definitely trying to get up there for Sunday as St. Benedict and Brewster play back to back.

I love Patterson. I watch a lot of the videos and absolutely love what I see from him. He may be a streaky shooter now, but his release and footwork are really, really good. Not many kids we have had in recent years at the shooting guard position has his fundamental game. Defense only adds to it. Paul Harris with a jumpshot is my opinion. But I think Patterson has a higher basketball IQ and has a definitive position.

Let's hope. I was a big Paul supporter--so I'm not trying to make a dig at him--but he hurt us at times with his decision making.

I am very encouraged by the reports of Patterson as a shooter--not just a three point shooter, but a mid-range shooter. Lost art [surprise, surprise--an Indiana kid who can shoot]. Wouldn't remotely be surprised to see Patterson make a very nice contribution here on both ends.

Back to Paul: despite not being a pure shooter in the classic sense, his best season came when he played at 2G full time. Would have been interesting to see how his career might have unfolded if he'd been able to play there--where he was a mismatch--and use his size / defensive abilities at the top of the zone instead of as an undersized 3. He was a tremendous rebounder for his size, but he gave up as many as he got by having people go over the top of him [similar to Pace when he played there]. Hope we never see undersized guys playing back there again.

Francis, you planning on heading to the HoopHall Classic this year? The schedule there is stacked. Depending on my work schedule I'm definitely trying to get up there for Sunday as St. Benedict and Brewster play back to back.
That's out of my region but the good news is that ESPNU usual broadcasts about 5-6 games from the event. Hopefully St. Ben's n Brewster will be featured.

I think Patterson and BJJ are going to surprise a lot of people by their sophomore years. Especially people that only pay attention to recruit site rankings. Chinoso seems like a project, BMK-lite.

I think Patterson and BJJ are going to surprise a lot of people by their sophomore years. Especially people that only pay attention to recruit site rankings. Chinoso seems like a project, BMK-lite.
I think you are right, and I think that Chinoso will be a huge contributor as well. A kid with his size, athleticism and motor are hard to come by, and when you add in the intensity that he plays with, he is going to be raw but very difficult to keep off the floor in a couple of years.

I think you are right, and I think that Chinoso will be a huge contributor as well. A kid with his size, athleticism and motor are hard to come by, and when you add in the intensity that he plays with, he is going to be raw but very difficult to keep off the floor in a couple of years.

The great thing with Chinoso is that we will not need him next year. He won't need to play until he is a sophmore with BMK and most likely Coleman and Rak gone. I was hoping that Dakari Johnson would 2014 and he would come here and start with Chinoso backing him up. We may still land Johnson in 2013 but I'm not sure he stays 2 years. Seems like a one and done. Although that is a projection.

The great thing with Chinoso is that we will not need him next year. He won't need to play until he is a sophmore with BMK and most likely Coleman and Rak gone. I was hoping that Dakari Johnson would 2014 and he would come here and start with Chinoso backing him up. We may still land Johnson in 2013 but I'm not sure he stays 2 years. Seems like a one and done. Although that is a projection.
I agree, it would have suited Syracuse better if Johnson stayed in the 2014 class. Assuming he decides on SU. So, the only way we land him now is if one of our bigs has a great season and leaves early. We all want that to happen, and it isn't a stretch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom