Scrimmage Recap | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Recap

when we go small - which i expect we'll see a lot of - (battle at the 3, brissett at the 4, boo in the middle) it'll look like a classic villanova squad: 4 guys who can handle & shoot with one true big holding down the inside
That it does

when we go small - which i expect we'll see a lot of - (battle at the 3, brissett at the 4, boo in the middle) it'll look like a classic villanova squad: 4 guys who can handle & shoot with one true big holding down the inside
I've always like this method but it's never been Jim's madness

Thanks for sharing!

Question...what’s your opinion of the team speed out there? Hard to tell I guess in this scrimmage format I suppose. I’m worried about lack of footspeed at the guard position. Yeah, there is some length and all that but they need to move their feet at both ends.

Very encouraging about Bourama. I’ve been pretty high on him. No surprise to me re: Chukwu.

Any player comparison for Oshae? Could be anybody anywhere. Thanks again.

Guard’s will be the strength of the team IMO. I’m more worried about the 5 and if we have enough shooting.

Not sure who to compare Oshae to. Jerami Grant athletically, but he can shoot.

Thorpe didn't play. With him, battle, Oshae and Howard, that is 5 players. Bourama is only going to get better. But the big thing is that we probably won't be all that good this year. Get experience and get ready for next year.
Next year is a loooong time from now. But yes, that is the mature attitude. I will endeavor to try NOT to live in the moment. :)

If anybody's worried after what they saw they should just relax

I saw a lot of guys who could shoot,handle

guys would pass rebound and play defense
I'm encouraged

Yeah I’m not worried, but Chukwu looked like a dumpster fire. Everything else was pretty much what we heard.

Guard’s will be the strength of the team IMO. I’m more worried about the 5 and if we have enough shooting.

Not sure who to compare Oshae to. Jerami Grant athletically, but he can shoot.

Cool, thanks, So you’re saying there is enough speed out there with what you saw out of Frank/HW? We know Battle will be solid. No Geno so can’t tell about him yet. Awesome re: Oshae.

Next year is a loooong time from now.
This is unprecedented resignation from the fan base. We should never be in a position where we just want to cancel the season, and it’s one thing if someone like myself cries doom and gloom, but this is what some die hards are saying... and we haven’t even lost a game yet. Scary stuff.

The wait-till-next-year band is nothing new... but it doesn’t usually start warming up until January.

Thank god for Dino. Usually we’ve already forgotten the gridiron and pinned our hopes and dreams on the hardwood. Now it’s the opposite. Dogs and cats living together. Cue bill Murray.

Last edited:
This is unprecedented resignation from the fan base. We should never be in a position where we just want to cancel the season, and it’s one thing if someone like myself cries doom and gloom, but this is what some die hards are saying... and we haven’t even lost a game yet. Scary stuff.

The wait-till-next-year band is nothing new... but it doesn’t usually start warming up until January. Maybe it’s the end of days.
Nobody wants to "cancel the season". Many, myself included, are viewing it as a "bridge year" or "development year" in anticipation of much stronger team next year. I'm going to really enjoy watching the growth & development of our youngsters through highs & lows, wins & losses. The experience that our 5 Frosh (Moyer included) will get this year is really going to pay dividends.

As it stands now, having yet to see us or anyone else play actual games, I'd be VERY pleased to simply make the tourney with anything more being "icing".

I love the game, watching these kids develop, adjust throughout a season and then year to year. In fact I miss watching many of the player's development because of early entries, transfers etc. Seeing the Hakims, Etans, Seikalys, Scoops, Rick Jackson's, Mike Gbinije's, Baye Moussa Keita's etc develop over the years, find their roles etc was fun to this bball nut. Personally many of the underrated teams have been my favorites, more often than not they end up surprising us while the more touted teams with all the hype and high expectations are sadly set up to only disappoint. Hope fans are patient enough to just enjoy the journey. We're so fortunate here as SU fans.

The wait-till-next-year band is nothing new... but it doesn’t usually start warming up until January.

Thank god for Dino. Usually we’ve already forgotten the gridiron and pinned our hopes and dreams on the hardwood. Now it’s the opposite. Dogs and cats living together. Cue bill Murray.
let me, for one, make myself more explicit: next season is setting up to be fantastic. but i think this year - barring injuries - we will be better than anticipated. 20 reg. season wins/top half conference finish is the floor of my expectations.

At the end of the day I expect to see the team struggle early and slowly put together better games as the season goes on.

Just want to see that effort and heart all the time. Way too many times last season where it felt to me like the guys weren't giving it 100%.

If anyone can take this group of known unknowns and turn them into a team, it’s Boeheim. Am I concerned about this team, this year? Yes. Will I go to every single game and cheer on the guys lustily? Yes. Do I have lowered expectations? Yes. Will I happily watch the development of the team? Yes.

lol ok

The walk on Bayer was GOOD and looked confident. Maybe Boeheim will play him? Maybe????
You will see a walk-on playing (McNabb notwithstanding) meaningful minutes when:
  1. We are leading by 30 with under two minutes to play
  2. We are trailing by 30 with under two minutes to play
  3. We are in massive foul trouble
  4. We have had players suspended for eligibility or disciplinary reasons
  5. JB decides to show everyone he can win even playing walk-ons ;)

You will see a walk-on playing (McNabb notwithstanding) meaningful minutes when:
6. We reach the 6th OT & have run out of scholarship guards.

6. We reach the 6th OT & have run out of scholarship guards.
7. Bjorn Calderon thinks he can beat Kevin Reese 1-on-1 and demands to see these walk-ons in action before he can make another outlandish claim.

So Buddy won't play next year? ;)

After last season I give up predicting how things will turn out. But like others have posted, this is the type of year that’s usually in JB’s wheelhouse. An untested, unheralded team that’s getting better each game is a good thing, and I for one am very optimistic. I think we’ll surprise. LGO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom