Scrimmage Recap | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Recap

After last season I give up predicting how things will turn out. But like others have posted, this is the type of year that’s usually in JB’s wheelhouse. An untested, unheralded team that’s getting better each game is a good thing, and I for one am very optimistic. I think we’ll surprise. LGO

I've never understood this. This team has literally one guy who played starter minutes over the course of a season on it and that's Battle to go along with all freshman and a Howard who can't seem to get his game or head on straight. What team like this has been in a "wheelhouse"? 2013 had senior leadership, 2015 had 9 years worth of 2-3 zone at the top of it and all of our other successful teams were just great teams top to bottom with multiple returning starters. What team has JB ever coached like this to a successful season?

I've never understood this. This team has literally one guy who played starter minutes over the course of a season on it and that's Battle to go along with all freshman and a Howard who can't seem to get his game or head on straight. What team like this has been in a "wheelhouse"? 2013 had senior leadership, 2015 had 9 years worth of 2-3 zone at the top of it and all of our other successful teams were just great teams top to bottom with multiple returning starters. What team has JB ever coached like this to a successful season?
Just amazing. No matter how many times you succeed...year after year...even when it seems you have less talent. There's still always gonna be guys like this. I never understood THIS.

I mostly agree with you. I don't think next years team will be very good.

But there is something to the idea that jb has often over performed with teams that before the season don't look particularly good.

I think of the 97-98 team, which followed a season where Syracuse missed the NCAAs and then lost their best player (Otis hill). The most proven returning player was Todd burgan, who was not a particularly great basketball player. With hindsight we know etan, Jason hart and (to a lesser degree) Blackwell were great college players, but Thomas had been terrible as a freshman, hart barely average, and Blackwell was a transfer who had sat out they year before.

Just a few years after that, hart, Blackwell and Thomas all graduate, the best retuning player is Damone Browne and Syracuse still goes 25-9.

Another one is the 2006 team, which basically only returned gmac as a proven NCAA player. (If this wouldn't sidetrack everything I would argue battle is a better player than gmac). Warrick forth and pace had graduated, edelins long journey came to an end, and the rising junior class had been a huge disapppijtnmet so far. And the team still got a (admittedly undeserved) 5 seed.

Last edited:
I think it's less about a team just like this and more when we have had less talented teams Boeheim has found a way to get to 20 wins in the past. I'm not very high on this team myself just because I think we are going to struggle to score and it's going to leave a very small margin for error. The schedule is favorable which could be our saving grace.

I think it's less about a team just like this and more when we have had less talented teams Boeheim has found a way to get to 20 wins in the past. I'm not very high on this team myself just because I think we are going to struggle to score and it's going to leave a very small margin for error. The schedule is favorable which could be our saving grace.

Absolutley, schedule is very favorable. We have this schedule last year and I think we're a top 4 ACC team.

Chukwu won't play much at all, imo.

If that's the case can we give PC back to PC?

I'll hold out hope till I see him play. He has to be somewhat serviceable by now, no???????? :(

No one is guaranteeing a successful season but if you need to ask how many times JB has pulled out good seasons from teams that weren’t expected to do much, then I submit you’re being overly pessimistic about this season. To each his own, but at this stage I’d rather see the positives, JB’s track record being one, rather than the negatives which of course there are many.
We have some good pieces and I frankly don’t expect anything less than an NIT berth, which IMO would be a positive.
To paraphrase one of my idols Zig Ziglar:
“Negative thinking sees difficulty in every opportunity. Positive thinking sees opportunity in every difficulty”. JMHO

No one is guaranteeing a successful season but if you need to ask how many times JB has pulled out good seasons from teams that weren’t expected to do much, then I submit you’re being overly pessimistic about this season. To each his own, but at this stage I’d rather see the positives, JB’s track record being one, rather than the negatives which of course there are many.
We have some good pieces and I frankly don’t expect anything less than an NIT berth, which IMO would be a positive.
“Negative thinking sees difficulty in every opportunity. Positive thinking sees opportunity in every difficulty”. JMHO

Find me a team like this. And like I broke down before a lot of teams that weren't expected to do well weren't awful teams and still had pieces. Not sure this team has those pieces and we have very little experience.

I could have sworn I read on here that the kid from Europe was an absolute steal and is the equivalent of a Top 50 recruit...

Could have swore I saw it!

I could have sworn I read on here that the kid from Europe was an absolute steal and is the equivalent of a Top 50 recruit...

and now he isn't based on an intersquad scrimmage?

and now he isn't based on an intersquad scrimmage?

Based on his size and the reports that have been posted I'm not sure he plays much over Brissett or Moyer, especially if Battle is seeing time at the 3.

You want to count the # of top 50 recruits that needed time here before they could help? The kid hasn't played a game yet and we are starting with this crap? You have to be kidding.

Do we think this will be an NIT team? Or is it worse than that?

You want to count the # of top 50 recruits that needed time here before they could help? The kid hasn't played a game yet and we are starting with this crap? You have to be kidding.
There is a PG at Creighton that comes to mind...

Gold star for Zig Ziglar mention.

I’m not going to say everyone who was at the scrimmage tonight will agree with what I saw, but I thought I would do recap ofor everyone who could not make it where the Orange team beat white 69-60.

White Team First:

Oshae- had the best scrimmage by far despite losing. He hit 4 or 5 threes, finished at the rim, hit a couple of mid range buckets and defensively he is long and will get his hands on a bunch of passes in the zone. I can’t understand why the scouting services had him ranked so low. He looks like a top 30ish player to me. I think he can have just as big an impact as Tyus had last year or Mal/Lydon the year before. Heck I wouldn’t rule out him being better.

Tyus-Everyone assumes he’s our best player and I am sure he will be, but he struggled a bit tonight, especially with Frank guarding him. He probably finished with around ten points, but if I had to guess he went about 4-15 and struggled both at the rim and from 3. Nothing to be concerned about. It could
mean Frank is better than we thought.

HW-Another kid who I think the scouting services underrated. He’s not going to blow anyone away athletically, but he makes the right play every time and is a good passer. I think he has a lot of shooting potential. His form is consistent and he’s nevergoing to be a guy we would have to worry about making a bad play. I would trust him with the ball in his hands.

Marek- Looks a year away to me. You can see flashes of potential off the dribble, shooting, and on the break, but man is he skinny. I don’t know how much he will be in the rotation this year at that weight. Moyer bullies him a bit in the scrimmage. I think he needs a year to develop his body.

Chukwu-Trying to be nice here, but he looked worse than last year. He still struggles catching the ball, brings it down, and consistently got stripped. On defense I thought he gave away the paint way to easily and Bourama had his way with him. Maybe PC turns it around, but I wouldn’t be the on it. I think he’s the 9th man on this team.

Orange-Thorpe didn’t play

Frank- I’m sure he still will frustrate people as he missed a few bunnies during the scrimmage, but he shot it well both from three and midrange. He also really played hard on defense like he took it personally against Tyus and made a few nice passes to both Moyer and Bourama. I know it’s going to be hard for him to win some fans back, but if he plays like he did tonight he will have a good season.

Moyer-I don’t think it will always be pretty, but this dude plays hard and never gives up. He started out struggling then scored a bunch of points in the middle of the game before he started struggling again on offense at the end. One thing you will never have to worry about with Moyer is a lack of hustle. He went after every rebound and loose ball. He also appears a lot stronger than advertised. I could see him struggling a bit against better athletes, but it won’t be for not trying. His shot has improved, but it’s still a bit flat and could use more refining. I think he fits better at the 4 compared to where you could see Oshae play the 3.

Bourama-He’s a bit raw, but you can see that he oozes potential. I think by next year or the year after we can have a post game again through him that we haven’t had in a few years. He should be able to contribute this year. He plays hard at both ends and is easily better than Pascal. I hope JB starts him at center because I think he will help us there at both ends of the court.

Hughes-Athletic kid who can shoot and looks like he has potential in the zone, but he needs to work on his handle a bit in order to be a playmaker in our system. I think he could be a great shooter for us down the line, but I don’t know if that will be at the 2 or 3. Right now I think he’s a 3.

It should also be noted that walking Braedon Bayer playing for Thorpe hit 3 or 4 3’s for Orange and reminded me of one of those kids Pitino always used to have sitting on his bench at Louisville.

To summarize, I think we have enough to be a sold team, but not all these guys will be in the rotation by the time ACC starts.

If I had to guess I would say the rotation gets down to 6.5 with:

Battle
Thorpe
Oshae
Moyer
Bourama
Frank

Then you play Marek or Howard W. based on the situation. I just can’t see Pascal helping us after what I saw tonight.

O'Shea, Oshae Oshae Oshae...

You will see a walk-on playing (McNabb notwithstanding) meaningful minutes when:
  1. We are leading by 30 with under two minutes to play
  2. We are trailing by 30 with under two minutes to play
  3. We are in massive foul trouble
  4. We have had players suspended for eligibility or disciplinary reasons
  5. JB decides to show everyone he can win even playing walk-ons ;)
I will take 1 and 5, please.

‘96 had two proven players in Wallace and Hill. That’s our only great team I can think of that was close to as unproven as this one. Sims and Janulis hasn’t played much, Burgan was young and untested, Cipolla was a JC transfer and JB was a career reserve.

‘96 had two proven players in Wallace and Hill. That’s our only great team I can think of that was close to as unproven as this one. Sims and Janulis hasn’t played much, Burgan was young and untested, Cipolla was a JC transfer and JB was a career reserve.

As much as I love Battle, he's not John Wallace, especially a senior Wallace.

Do we think this will be an NIT team? Or is it worse than that?

We can still make the tournament, that's not off base at all. The schedule is pretty softball as far as schedules go and we could slide right in without a problem.

Who knows, this team could click really well by then and we can do some damage. Personally I think we'll have a lot of trouble early on with some tough losses and maybe a What loss early on.

We can still make the tournament, that's not off base at all. The schedule is pretty softball as far as schedules go and we could slide right in without a problem.

Who knows, this team could click really well by then and we can do some damage. Personally I think we'll have a lot of trouble early on with some tough losses and maybe a What loss early on.
What I love about this team is exactly what we all keep talking about, and that’s the mystery too it. On paper they may not look good but who knows. I’d expect NIT, bubble, but with the schedule, improved D, and of course JB magic could they sneak into the tourney? Absolutely. I think it’s gping to be a very fun season.

What I love about this team is exactly what we all keep talking about, and that’s the mystery too it. On paper they may not look good but who knows. I’d expect NIT, bubble, but with the schedule, improved D, and of course JB magic could they sneak into the tourney? Absolutely. I think it’s gping to be a very fun season.

I think it will be fun too. I loved last years team, still watched every game and it was still a lot of fun. I think we have a bunch of program guys who will get early shots in their career which will be fun to watch them grow.

I think it will be fun too. I loved last years team, still watched every game and it was still a lot of fun. I think we have a bunch of program guys who will get early shots in their career which will be fun to watch them grow.
c'mon now, pre-January last year was anything but fun ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom