Sean Tucker On Returning In 2022/Play calling | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Sean Tucker On Returning In 2022/Play calling

They caught wind that our small union, local 1 of 1 was scared that we might get replaced. They then started asking (telling) us to do things outside of our job scope and eventually even working a COVID in processing tent. To summarize, they knew we wouldn’t grieve anything because we were happy just to be there. We gave up any leverage we may have had.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Unlike some other theories I've seen around here lately.

So you agree that the comments from a couple dozen people on this board doesn’t uniquely cripple our program compared to every other one in the country?

That’s not what I said. But way to get it.

That’s not what I said. But way to get it.
You said “It absolutely would make one wonder why do I want to be here with this kind of fan support?”.

Is there a program in the country that had 4 winning seasons in the past *20 years* where there wouldn’t be quite a bit of negativity and diminished fan support?

One could argue that our fan support is pretty OK given the two decades of utter irrelevance that we’ve experienced.

You said “It absolutely would make one wonder why do I want to be here with this kind of fan support?”.

Is there a program in the country that had 4 winning seasons in the past *20 years* where there wouldn’t be quite a bit of negativity and diminished fan support?

One could argue that our fan support is pretty OK given the two decades of utter irrelevance that we’ve experienced.

You might want to try reading it again.

Sean has to do what is best for him, regardless what some people here think. This is a new world in college football.
For running backs there is a very short time for most careers. Need to get the best opportunity for yourself.
He's not going anywhere. Football portal is a lot different from basketball portal

That's not really how the portal works. It's mostly guys who weren't happy with their playing situation and will end up moving down a level, maybe laterally. Sure there will be some guys move up, but I don't see stars like Tucker using the portal. What's the point? These kids go to college to give them the best opportunity to get drafted. You think Tucker would take a chance at his draft stock to play a year at Bama? No chance. People getting all worked up for nothing.

You seem in the know. This makes me take 1 step away from the ledge. I'm not sure I could handle losing Tucker (and others).

You might want to try writing more clearly.

I know I was clear right up front saying this site and other social media. I certainly didn’t say “a couple dozen people on this board”

Soooo, it's the fans fault we suck? Got it.
Fin, I get where you're coming from but I think you're focusing on the wrong thing. Fans can biotche and moan if given reasons, and count me in as being one who has done so, for as long as I've been an Orangeman.
The issue here though is why create, foster, and invite constant negativity over every issue, as though that's always the only option on the table. I'd bet there are "fans" here who do nothing but sit back and wait for things to go bad, so they can chime in and add to the negativity.
Can Tucker transfer out? Sure, that's a possibility as it is w/ every star player at most any school in this portal era. But to fixate on that and wait for it like its preordained, because of course..."we're Syracuse" , is just as I said before, firken pathetic. It's like constantly waiting for another shoe to drop, and living life waiting for the inevitable disappointment and disaster.
The media thrives off of this- its how they make their money: "If it bleeds, it leads", etc. Maybe its an individual thing, but I've watched the chicken-littles proclaim ultimate doom, only to disappear when things don't turn out that way.
It's just annoying to constantly see post after post by Debbie Downer disciples proclaiming the end is near. Just exhausting- and so much so that good, long-term posters would rather be elsewhere. JMHO

Last edited:
My issue is with critiquing the media asking Tucker about the portal. Forgive me but guys entered the portal in season. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask about it prior to end of season.

If I was with the post standard the editor would be mad if I didn’t ask if I had access to Tucker.

The program is in a bad spot because it has interesting assets who will be wasted if we don’t bowl this year. Tucker didn’t get a doak finalist which is criminal. If he left for say Wisconsin or Texas he would be a finalist. That takes money out of his pocket.

These guys are professionals now. I don’t think people have made the correlation yet that they are perpetual free agents. I hate the portal and NIL as a fan because it will trip us up at some point

So let me get this straight, the company started treating the workers badly because they heard the workers were worried about their jobs? Like, if they hadn't heard, they would have continued to treat them well? It gave them the idea to treat them badly? Genuinely confused and fascinated by this.
It's not really outrageous. When one party feels they have leverage over another, they may take advantage of that leverage. I've seen it happen too.

I agree. This stinks that this is the state of CFB

IMO the portal becomes mostly a non-issue in 2-3 years. Covid will actually help that because so many players are able to play an extra year, so there’s less spots to fill at each school. Then add in that right now, players are hopping to the portal too quickly. A significant amount of players aren’t going to find a place to play or they will need to severely lower their expectations. With that, they lose out on a high quality scholarship to go play at a much lower level and still are risking maybe not seeing the field.

Players don’t know that yet or it’s just becoming obvious, the downside of the portal. But within 2-3 years I think what we’ll see is players aren’t going to automatically jump to the portal as it feels now. You’ll lose some players here and there in the same way you miss out on a recruit you think is a lock. But worrying about a mass exodus (even with a coaching change) and your best player(s) leaving I think will mellow out soon.

IMO the portal becomes mostly a non-issue in 2-3 years. Covid will actually help that because so many players are able to play an extra year, so there’s less spots to fill at each school. Then add in that right now, players are hopping to the portal too quickly. A significant amount of players aren’t going to find a place to play or they will need to severely lower their expectations. With that, they lose out on a high quality scholarship to go play at a much lower level and still are risking maybe not seeing the field.

Players don’t know that yet or it’s just becoming obvious, the downside of the portal. But within 2-3 years I think what we’ll see is players aren’t going to automatically jump to the portal as it feels now. You’ll lose some players here and there in the same way you miss out on a recruit you think is a lock. But worrying about a mass exodus (even with a coaching change) and your best player(s) leaving I think will mellow out soon.
Maybe. I don't think young guys think that logically. Prior to the one and done rule, how many hign school kids kept jumping straight to the NBA draft only to go undrafted despite the same thing happening the year before? People often don't do a good job of learning from predecessors' mistakes.

Maybe. I don't think young guys think that logically. Prior to the one and done rule, how many hign school kids kept jumping straight to the NBA draft only to go undrafted despite the same thing happening the year before? People often don't do a good job of learning from predecessors' mistakes.

Big difference between the NBA example and the portal is the NBA HS players who choose that path are often being led to believe they will get drafted and sign a big contract. The people around them pushing for them to skip college and a degree are looking out for their own financial interests.

Also the amount of players stuck in the portal going nowhere right now is significantly greater than the amount of HS players trying to jump to the NBA. In a couple years when CFB players see that a large % of players that go to the portal don’t get the intended result, I think the % entering will decrease.

A lot of posters overstate the value to Tucker's draft status by going to a "better" program. You see every year where players establish their draft position in the workouts and post season all-star games. The NFL already knows he is a great runner (regardless of Doak or the Heisman). The RB position in the NFL is currently not valued as in times past and the majority thought process seems to be picking a RB in the first round is a mistake, given the structure of today's offenses. Things that he needs to work on for the NFL are pass blocking and pass catching. Those are the things he needs to get better at and can improve right where he is. Right now he is a fantastic runner but an incomplete back. I can't see where going some place else will help more than here.

If I were a running back I’d want to show I can get chunk yardage even behind a porous line. There is no better opportunity than at Syracuse.

I’ve wondered about his pass blocking, seems like he gets split wide on some plays and other plays we go with just the QB in the backfield. Makes me wonder if this is a way to avoid putting him in a situation where he doesn’t have to pass block.

On the other hand he has sprung some very nice blocks sealing the edge for Shredder - I can never tell if that is intentional or not but he has done a great job on those. Better than our wide receivers most days.

I know I was clear right up front saying this site and other social media. I certainly didn’t say “a couple dozen people on this board”
I’ve been clear saying that SU boards and social media are tame compared to newly every other P5 fan base. We could all be a bunch of drooling Polyannas and we’d still have 4 winning seasons in 20 years.

Wow great we haven’t made death threats What a high bar you set.
Many programs have fans who have made death threats. And yet recruits keep lining up to play there. But apparently some vague sense of “negativity” has crippled our program.

To me the concept of the portal is fine but how it was rolled out without a better set of rules in place is the problem. I mean how hard is it to map out potential "use case scenarios " to make sure you are contemplating everything within a world of reasonableness and then frame a compliance/rule structure around it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom