Season w/Thorpe and Thompson | Syracusefan.com

Season w/Thorpe and Thompson

l'orange

Scout Team
I know it's all speculation but I'm curious what everyone thinks, how different would this season have been if Thorpe and Thompson stayed?

Maybe the difference of a win or two. Maybe less.

Marek, Moyer, Bourama gained valuable experience this year. Trial by fire. We will be better for it.

I didnt like Taurean’s defense or approach on offense. Long term we’re better off. I didnt see enough of Thorpe to be able to touch on that. We certainly could’ve used a backup pg.

Thorpe may or may not have have swung a single game. But I think Thompson really, really changes the dynamic at the 4 where we got absolutely nothing offensively and wasn't like his defense was that unlike what we got there any way. I think you can immediately move Bona, ND and FSU over to wins and go from there.

If TT committed to playing defense, we would have been better because of the added threat on offense. We could've really used his scoring ability.

Who knows -- but what I DO know is that both of these players really screwed the program over, as a function of how their departures occurred. We could have used both of these this year, regardless of their limitations.

That the team got to 20 wins without them speaks to what a good coaching job overall JB has done, overcoming lots of obstacles to get there.

Thorpe may or may not have have swung a single game. But I think Thompson really, really changes the dynamic at the 4 where we got absolutely nothing offensively and wasn't like his defense was that unlike what we got there any way. I think you can immediately move Bona, ND and FSU over to wins and go from there.

Thorpe to me is a big game changer. He is an offensive threat and we dont have enough of them.

Who knows -- but what I DO know is that both of these players really screwed the program over, as a function of how their departures occurred. We could have used both of these this year, regardless of their limitations.

That the team got to 20 wins without them speaks to what a good coaching job overall JB has done, overcoming lots of obstacles to get there.

Standing Ovation.

Are you sure JB did a good job? According to some posters coaching is our problem. Because, we have such a deep and talented roster.. ;)

Thorpe to me is a big game changer. He is an offensive threat and we dont have enough of them.

Yeah, we don’t know how Thorpe would have panned out but we do know there isn’t a single player on our roster who scares the opposition from the perimeter.

I know it's all speculation but I'm curious what everyone thinks, how different would this season have been if Thorpe and Thompson stayed?
I think Thorpe would have made more of a difference. I would have given us more flexibility and we could have gone with him and FH in the back court with TB at the 3. Then we would have had 4 guys that can score out there. I think TT was so bad defensively it would have been close to a wash.

Let's be honest, having seen Thorpe play against lesser teams, he wouldve added little-to-no value to the ACC win total. He never really wowed me. His play wasn't demanding mins on the floor. His quick cameo v MD (the first real opp.) is a telling sign of what his ACC mins woulda been. He'd be giving the guards a few min rest. He wasn't gonna spread out the defense and open lanes for easy scores. Thompson was the unknown. Maybe a game like ND or one of the WF/GT games wouldve swung our way w/ TT in there... but for any offensive boost we'd gain, we'd lose it with his defense.

Lydon +5 the prefect fit for what we needed, including backup center
TT +3
GT +0.5

There were so many TT threads that states he sucks on D, is a turnstyle in the middle of the zone and isn't a winner. Most here hated his game...and now he would have changed the dynamic of the team? I personally liked him but this seems to be some revisionist history.

Thompson's future
Man I love this board but you are right. There is so much revisionist history. A few months ago most people were also saying the sanctions didn't have a big impact on us. Now it's mostly the opposite.

Let's be honest, having seen Thorpe play against lesser teams, he wouldve added little-to-no value to the ACC win total. He never really wowed me. His play wasn't demanding mins on the floor. His quick cameo v MD (the first real opp.) is a telling sign of what his ACC mins woulda been. He'd be giving the guards a few min rest. He wasn't gonna spread out the defense and open lanes for easy scores. Thompson was the unknown. Maybe a game like ND or one of the WF/GT games wouldve swung our way w/ TT in there... but for any offensive boost we'd gain, we'd lose it with his defense.
He had a bad ankle for the MD game. He not got totally healthy. He would have helped when he got right.

We seem to be drawn to headcases or headcases are drawn to us. I'm not certain those two make us better. And besides team chemistry issues, maybe the guys that stayed don't step up in the same way if Thorpe and Thompson are around.

And why doesn’t that factor into our resume? I see about at least five more wins with those guys in he lineup?

People are drawing on the butterfly effect concept I mentioned in another thread that folks cant seem to fathom there. Sure chemistry could be effected, but I'm honestly not sure how much worse the passing(or lack thereof) could have been. I see a lot of mentions of the future also, but for this season it's hard to see the team not doing better with them available. Boeheim could have still Boeheimed them if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom