Seat Selection Process Announced for 2024 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Seat Selection Process Announced for 2024

I have no dog in this fight, but I think it should be exclusively about tenure...the priority should be how LONG a season ticket holder has been one...and not about how much $ they contribute. I mean, there can be another layer to ensure that people stay roughly within their current tier (someone in the 100s should not be arbitrarily bumped by someone in the 300s), but a 20 year season ticket holder should not be bumped behind someone who is a 1 year STH but who happens to be wealthy.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes and no.

One it should be by section. Then you need to balance tenure, donations, and current row.

Someone shouldn't be able to come into one's section and get the best seat just because they donated more money this season. But for 90% of the Dome this will be a non factor anyway. Some rich person isn't going to go grab the first row of the $99 seats.

At the same time just because someone is 80 years old and has been coming longer than someone 50 years old, that shouldn't take precedent. Plus for SU that 50 year old will have a longer future fandom.

And if someone is sitting in row 17 and another is in row 3, that person in row 17 shouldn't be able to move ahead. Heck they had the chance to move to row 17 at some point did they not?

Not the point. In bball you may not know your section at all when money is due.

Then don't take the risk. Wait until the upgrade process is over and get tickets after. There is no need for a refund.

Then don't take the risk. Wait until the upgrade process is over and get tickets after. There is no need for a refund.

Yea, that’s the ticket.

At the same time just because someone is 80 years old and has been coming longer than someone 50 years old, that shouldn't take precedent. Plus for SU that 50 year old will have a longer future fandom.

Age shouldn’t have anything to do with it. But longevity absolutely should. And SU recognizes that as they are giving bonus points to long time STH/donors. It’s just a matter of how much of a bump.

I think they should have come up with weighted averages. Rank and weight STH length and Donor level.

STH loyalty
44 or more years gets the most points
33-43 next
22-32 next
11-21 next
1-10 next
0.0 points for new STHs
Maybe 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

4 year avg giving level
Director gets the most points
HoF next
National Champ next
ACC champ next
All American next
All Conference next
Captain next
Varsity next
Teammate least
Maybe 9 down to 1

So if you give $10k this year for the first time, that only puts you at All American and not National Champ.

Based on the above total points, is how you pick your seat.

However if you want to move to a different section level, you go to the back of the line in that section level. So current A level is ahead of B in the A section, but current B is ahead of A in the B section. Same goes for C, D, regular seats, and discount seats.

Upper A has priority in Lower A over Lower B, but Lower A has priority over Upper A in Lower A. And Upper A has priority over Lower A in Upper A.

Also you have to take into account one's Row. So if you are in the 1st third you get to chose those rows before someone in the 2nd third. But the 2nd third gets priority in those rows over someone in the 1st third. Same for the last third.

Age shouldn’t have anything to do with it. But longevity absolutely should. And SU recognizes that as they are giving bonus points to long time STH/donors. It’s just a matter of how much of a bump.

Someone who has been around longer should get rewarded for their loyalty. My point was it shouldn't be THE deciding factor.

Is there really a difference between a STH for 35 years and one for 25 years? Especially since in most cases the one for 35 years will have been there longer simply because they were an adult 35 years ago when the 25 year person was likely not an adult yet.

It is a tough thing to decide.. In many cases they people in the seats are not even the original ones who bought the tickets but the acct has the same name on them.

And how many people donate beyond their ticket money ? Not everyone does and I suspect its the majority that dont.

If you go the donor site it says 30.5k donors I Wonder how many are in each level?

It probably goes like a few thousand All conference and above and 25k or so Orange teammate and then a 3-4-5 K in that Varsity/Captain level.

Last edited:
It is a tough thing to decide.. In many cases they people in the seats are not even the original ones who bought the tickets but the acct has the same name on them.

And how many people donate beyond their ticket money ? Not everyone does and I suspect its the majority that dont.

If you go the donor site it says 30.5k donors I Wonder how many are in each level?

It probably goes like a few hundred All conference and above and 25k or so Orange teammate and then a 3-4-5 K in that Varsity/Captain level.
I would expect them to lose a large number of season ticket holders for next year.

I guess if they lose 4000 in the lower bowl and 4000 people give up they break even down there with moving people? But do we really think they lose that many people because someone has to move a row or 2?

Most of the issues are lower bowl and some in the middle upper deck but even that wasnt close to selling out

and isnt donor rank amongst all sports? I mean anyone with 3-4 bball seasons is gonna spend a ton more than many fball people with 3-4 tickets.

Eliminating anymore seats for basketball would be even worse than it already is

Agreed.

Also bear in mind that while basketball capacity might technically be reduced to 31,000, for practical purposes it's being reduced further. Long range view seats in 335 are one thing when you can pivot your hips 45 degrees toward the court on a backless bench. Within the constraints of a back and armrests, forget about it.

I feel a little bit like I’m being extorted. “Nice seats ya got there, lady. Too bad if something were to happen to them.”

Write the check, or the dog gets it.

cover.jpg

Agreed.

Also bear in mind that while basketball capacity might technically be reduced to 31,000, for practical purposes it's being reduced further. Long range view seats in 335 are one thing when you can pivot your hips 45 degrees toward the court on a backless bench. Within the constraints of a back and armrests, forget about it.
bball will be interesting.. On one hand you want a better set now you better have season tickets. On the other hand does it make it a bette value to see with less inventory?

The long range seats were never good. The new video boards help some to see whats going on. but you will be losing 1/3 of the seats or whatever in the pull outs and that lower area.
You can bump up the rates on the lower stuff lose a bunch of people and not lose much money.
upstairs who knows.

I guess if they lose 4000 in the lower bowl and 4000 people give up they break even down there with moving people? But do we really think they lose that many people because someone has to move a row or 2?

Most of the issues are lower bowl and some in the middle upper deck but even that wasnt close to selling out

and isnt donor rank amongst all sports? I mean anyone with 3-4 bball seasons is gonna spend a ton more than many fball people with 3-4 tickets.

People will need to move more than a row or two. There are going to be 4,000 fewer seats down there. In theory, if everyone kept season Tix, 4,000 people will no longer be down stairs. They’ll be in the 200’s and 300’s and displacing bballbeadle to long range view. ;)

I’m not too concerned because I have a sold donor rank(not a humble brag), but it appears the university is using this exercise as an opportunity to raise more money so I get the frustration.

People will need to move more than a row or two. There are going to be 4,000 fewer seats down there. In theory, if everyone kept season Tix, 4,000 people will no longer be down stairs. They’ll be in the 200’s and 300’s and displacing bballbeadle to long range view. ;)
or they move all the kids to the upper deck..

I just wonder how many tickets are available down low anyway.. there were a ton not sold as full season tickets.. Do we know if the special game packs included any of those seats?

just ball parking it for BC there are 600-1000 blue dots in the lower deck. so between that and say 10% giving up you would have made up a bunch of the 4k..

They must have a guess at how many will give up seats.

And you can easily take the student section and move those kids up stairs that like over 1500 seats that wont be part of the lost STH percentage.

That’s true if all the seats are currently sold. They are not. Basketball is much more problematic. They can mitigate that somewhat by increasing the distance from the court to the movable sections. that opens up additional end court seats.

That’s true if all the seats are currently sold. They are not. Basketball is much more problematic. They can mitigate that somewhat by increasing the distance from the court to the movable sections. that opens up additional end court seats.

Yea and I keep forgetting the 4,000 fewer seats downstairs is for football and I’m talking bball so I assume it’s in the 2500 range.

What about the cushions? I see chairs with backs and cupholders but has there been word on those?
I was told by my rep that though the lower bowl stadium seating will have cushions, upper deck stadium seating will not. No option to upgrade either like we can currently.

This is a concern for me as I have an odd pinched nerve that really only shows up when I sit in certain chairs. My rep told me I can bring in a cushion for my seat each game which is a pain but better than nothing.

I pretty much expect for the new seating to be a lot less comfortable than my current upgraded orange seat back, but at the same time I realize my situation is both unique and odd.

Yea and I keep forgetting the 4,000 fewer seats downstairs is for football and I’m talking bball so I assume it’s in the 2500 range.
and almost every one of the 2500 is sold. That is the one that keeps me up at night!

and almost every one of the 2500 is sold. That is the one that keeps me up at night!
Yeppers. Those 2500 or so gotta move up and those displaced will move up and over etc etc.

I always wondered why they dont rig up some more seats in the pull out area.. go higher behind with more seating. look at the way the golf does it and thats just using scaffolding.. you could do something much more rigid pretty easily using pre-made cubes attached and create a good chunk of high priced seats..

the goal wont be to have 15k of good seats and 15k of bad seats.,. lets try to create more good seats.

I always wondered why they dont rig up some more seats in the pull out area.. go higher behind with more seating. look at the way the golf does it and thats just using scaffolding.. you could do something much more rigid pretty easily using pre-made cubes attached and create a good chunk of high priced seats..

the goal wont be to have 15k of good seats and 15k of bad seats.,. lets try to create more good seats.

The more complicated you make the scaffolding the harder it is to convert set-ups. If you have a 7 PM BB game on Saturday, and a Nooner for LAX on Sunday, you're in a time crunch.

The fold away section still have to fit in its' little cubbyhole during Football and LAX.

The more complicated you make the scaffolding the harder it is to convert set-ups. If you have a 7 PM BB game on Saturday, and a Nooner for LAX on Sunday, you're in a time crunch.

The fold away section still have to fit in its' little cubbyhole during Football and LAX.
yup but thats why i say dont use scaffolding. go with premade cubes .. look at how they stack containers on a ship 10+ high.. get some cubes made of a material that is light enough to go inside but stacks up quickly. When you use them 20+ times a yr the price gets better. this isnt a one off gold tournament build. think legos.. And the higher up the less weight they need to hold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom