Seniors returning | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Seniors returning

This is an interesting dilemma for these guys.
If they are pros, then go.
If not, will another year get them to the NFL? If not, is there a course of study they want to continue?
If none of that, do they want to play just to play? Is it worth the pounding that the body takes to stick in college for a 5th or 6th year.
Another year in the college bubble may be safer, but does FB make it less so?
Associated, but not the same thing, the best we can figure out is that my son, who redshirted last year, will have 4 more years of eligibility after this year.

He already knows he likey doesn't want to go to school for 6 straight years.

Last edited:
This is an interesting dilemma for these guys.
If they are pros, then go.
If not, will another year get them to the NFL? If not, is there a course of study they want to continue?
If none of tht, do they want to play just to play? Is it worth the pounding that the body takes to stick in college for a 5th or 6th year.
Associated, but not the same thing, the best we can figure out is that my son, who redshirted last year, will have 4 more years of eligibility after this year.
He already knows he likey doesn't want to go to school for 6 straight years.

Job market. The AD needs to find grad internship/work study slots to place kids in. Win/win.

You know, I wish you were right. I wish all the seniors could magically come back for another year and the cost would magically be nothing. They deserve a reboot. Nobody should have to end their college career like these guys and gals are doing.

But sadly, I am not confused. In the real world, athletic departments are customers for their universities. They are charged for each scholarship that is used and they pay full price for each.

I wish this was not the case.
I wonder if the NCAA and/or conferences will kick in some money.
This could also impact athlete housing.

Your comment speaks more about you than anyone sitting out because of COVID concerns.

I think Dawson had the best friend with some physical disabilities. For all anyone knew back then, Covid exposure could have severe consequences long term

Also, for some, it's FB, then...FB, then... FB.

Humanity and empathy are way down here, but even lower, if they interfere with FB.

You can't have a credit bearing unpaid internship, I find that hard to believe
You definitely can. At least you could, as of a couple of years ago. Eric Dungey for example had one at Wells Fargo recently. I would be stunned if the NCAA somehow changed this recently. I have heard nothing about it.

Syracuse QB Eric Dungey has signed with Bus Cook & Don Weatherell at BC Sports ... his degree from the Whitman School of Management, and he completed an internship at Wells Fargo last summer.

I thought I'd start a thread focused on which Seniors have either expressed interest in returning next season or have confirmed to the media that they will be returning. We can keep this thread updated if we learn a player will or won't be returning.

Aaron Hackett

Hard to believe he was a senior already. Same with Szmyt. Time flies.

Players returning in my opinion
Hackett
Jonathan
Iffy

players leaving in my opinion
Servase
N Johnson
Black
Williams

players transferring in my opinion
S johnson
E hendricks
Pierre
TD
Thompson-bishop
Richards

player I hope leaves
Taj

Surprised you want Taj to leave. He's our best receiver.
You think he's the attitude problem and not DeVito in their relationship, I'm guessing.

I think Iffy leaves.

I hope not. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet, and we could use a guy with his experience back there.

I don't think he is either, but at least there are plenty of OL and DL. How many FB's are there?

Personally, I'm with SWC on this one. I think we would be better suited to lining up with 2 RBs and not Elmore, who telegraphs where the ball is going when he's in there at FB.

When you have a big back and a scatback type (like I had hoped Adams and Jawahr Jordan would have been this year ...), you are harder to defend.

You don't need 4 or 5 guys as split or slot receivers on so many plays, especially when we (a) can't run the ball, and (b) can't pass protect.

You need an extra blocker around the QB, and some question regarding who might carry the ball if it's a running play. The defense not knowing what play's coming is a big element missing from Dino's offense.

We are SO predictable.

This offseason is a golden opportunity for us to take on some traditional "sit out a year" underclassman transfers and not impact the roster overall, since we can have 5th/6th years stay on an additional year due to Covid and do some roster clean up in the process.

This year was brutal overall, but we have an opportunity for a dramatic turnaround next season if this offseason is managed properly.

Great observation.

Transfer market could offer a unique angle of opportunity. The power programs are gonna keep recruiting over all the kids there. A lot of productive kids who aren’t superstars will be displaced. They’ll mostly all be upgrades for us. Hopefully that’s the angle we’re pursuing.

Most (all) of these kids will regret trying to rush through college. I remember my now wife tearing up as we drove away for the final time from Syracuse knowing that part of our life was over. I was so geared up for the next phase of my life that I never really smelled the roses when I left in early May.

I would hope for most of these guys, if the opportunity arose, to consider graduate school, expand their knowledge base, meet new people on campus, and try and play a sport (if they can) that they will no longer be able to play once they leave Syracuse.

If there is a guaranteed NFL contract awaiting, and they graduated, certainly leave and begin your career. For the others, enjoy the bubble that is college even if it's in a literal bubble right now. You never ever get those years back again.

Most (all) of these kids will regret trying to rush through college. I remember my now wife tearing up as we drove away for the final time from Syracuse knowing that part of our life was over. I was so geared up for the next phase of my life that I never really smelled the roses when I left in early May.

I would hope for most of these guys, if the opportunity arose, to consider graduate school, expand their knowledge base, meet new people on campus, and try and play a sport (if they can) that they will no longer be able to play once they leave Syracuse.

If there is a guaranteed NFL contract awaiting, and they graduated, certainly leave and begin your career. For the others, enjoy the bubble that is college even if it's in a literal bubble right now. You never ever get those years back again.
Hope the guys want to end their time here with a normal year, as Big men on a full campus, with fans in the seats, and some more wins. Once you leave, you can't get that back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom