Seniors returning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seniors returning

The actual cost to SU for an extra athlete is room and board plus the incremental cost on the academic side (books etc). You might be confusing price (stated tuition) with the university’s cost. It you have 20 kids in a classroom, there isn’t much cost in adding another student.
This. Plus I can’t see Dino or Wildhack saying to an Athlete, Sorry you’re to expensive to give the extra year the NCAA says you can have.

The actual cost to SU for an extra athlete is room and board plus the incremental cost on the academic side (books etc). You might be confusing price (stated tuition) with the university’s cost. It you have 20 kids in a classroom, there isn’t much cost in adding another student.
Yeah, while I would never suggest cooking the books... there's gotta be way a to cook the books.

With our injury situation the cost of medial care per player must be through the roof.

I like watching Elmore as fullback, I miss our offense from the 90s, but we don’t recruit the position and don’t use the position much except for him. Doesn’t make much sense to bring back a player solely as offensive gimmick.

You know, I wish you were right. I wish all the seniors could magically come back for another year and the cost would magically be nothing. They deserve a reboot. Nobody should have to end their college career like these guys and gals are doing.

But sadly, I am not confused. In the real world, athletic departments are customers for their universities. They are charged for each scholarship that is used and they pay full price for each.

I wish this was not the case.

I would bring everyone back that expresses interest in being back.

After this season, the fans are owed every opportunity to see a winning program on the field next year. So I hope the university bites the bullet and isn't stingy in the offseason.

I like watching Elmore as fullback, I miss our offense from the 90s, but we don’t recruit the position and don’t use the position much except for him. Doesn’t make much sense to bring back a player solely as offensive gimmick.
Was concerned when DB said he was being moved back to FB. Just made me think he already knows the line is going to be suspect next year. If lines improved why do you need an extra constant blocker. Having him as an extra blocker limits offensive ability. I was hoping to see him moved to DT where I feel he would be much more effective.

Was concerned when DB said he was being moved back to FB. Just made me think he already knows the line is going to be suspect next year. If lines improved why do you need an extra constant blocker. Having him as an extra blocker limits offensive ability. I was hoping to see him moved to DT where I feel he would be much more effective.
If he already knows the line would be suspect, wouldn’t DB say Elmore wouldn’t stick at OL? I think his comment on Elmore to FB means he expects to have a full line again, allowing Rhino to play a more versatile position in the offense given his size/skill/interests.

You know, I wish you were right. I wish all the seniors could magically come back for another year and the cost would magically be nothing. They deserve a reboot. Nobody should have to end their college career like these guys and gals are doing.

But sadly, I am not confused. In the real world, athletic departments are customers for their universities. They are charged for each scholarship that is used and they pay full price for each.

Again, you are confusing the imputed internal bookkeeping charge (what the central SU admin charges athletics) with the true costs to SU overall. The only real cost to SU are the additional out of pocket expenses of having an additional athlete on the team, in housing, and in classes.

Again, you are confusing the imputed internal bookkeeping charge (what the central SU admin charges athletics) with the true costs to SU overall. The only real cost to SU are the additional out of pocket expenses of having an additional athlete on the team, in housing, and in classes.
No, I am not confused. That is not how things work in the real world. Athletic departments play the university tuition for players on scholarship. At full price. There are no discounts.

If you want to argue that universities should not charge full tuition to athletic departments for athletic scholarships, go for it. I have no interest in pursuing that.

100%

No, I am not confused. That is not how things work in the real world. Athletic departments play the university tuition for players on scholarship. At full price. There are no discounts.

If you want to argue that universities should not charge full tuition to athletic departments for athletic scholarships, go for it. I have no interest in pursuing that.
Why argue about this. If the coach thinks a certain player or players can help next year then The ad will find the money. The university isn’t a bankrupt Sears store let’s spare the drama. It’s the same with dinos contract. If they want to make a move they will. This is a business and Like any contract it can be negotiated and paid out over years.

I think you are both right in a way. Tom, you are looking at this as the AD being it's own division within SU. So if you were to look at those stand alone financial statements, yes on paper, it looks like the Athletic Department is losing $50k x number of students, but what SoBristol is saying is that the intercompany expense to the AD and the intercompany income to the academic side at the university eliminate in consolidation as each are "wholly owned" by the University. So while the AD may say it's "expensive", I think it would look really bad for SU as a whole to say we can't afford to pay 1 more year for these kids, when in reality the cost is nominal to the University.

I don't understand why Dino thinks switching Elmore back to FB helps his NFL prospects. How many 295 pound fullback/TE's who can't catch or run do you see there? Would think his best NFL chance would be on the LOS.
Elmore’s not an NFL prospect imo on either side of the ball. Anyone, feel free to correct me if there’s reason to believe he is.

I guess the incremental cost of tuition only kicks in substantially if it bumps another student who would be paying for the spot, or requires additional resources (fractional FTE for a TA). Detailed breakdown for an undergrad is here:

This. Plus I can’t see Dino or Wildhack saying to an Athlete, Sorry you’re to expensive to give the extra year the NCAA says you can have.

This is bigger than football, though, and it is certainly going to be a department wide decision across all fall and winter sports. Happened in the Spring at other P5 institutions. You also saw a school that is extremely well endowed like Stanford cut 11 varsity sports in the Spring. And I expect a number of D-1 programs will announce they cannot provide the extra year the NCAA is allowing including some major P5 programs. That being said I am hopeful that we will try to accomodate any senior player who is in good academic standing. I don't, however expect any blanket offer to honor the additional year for underclassmen particularly since the 85 scholarship limit goes back into effect for 2022-23.

Elmore’s not an NFL prospect imo on either side of the ball. Anyone, feel free to correct me if there’s reason to believe he is.

Dead on, hardworking, put it all out there kid

but not a NFL prospect

Well, there is one reason. Money. Those scholarships are expensive. If each cost $50K and we bring back 20 seniors, that comes to $1 million dollars. Where does that money come from? SU, and all the other schools that play football are all in awful financial shape. Even Clemson is cutting sports.

If it would be tough for the football program to pay for some extra scholarships, what about the fall sports that do not normally generate revenue?

Bottom line, I think maybe we bring a couple of players back for football only. If we are lucky. If we do, it will be because donors or the JB Foundation ponied up the money.
I think you're confusing list price vs cost. Tuition is listed at about $50K. True cost of tuition to the university to provide a free education is probably less than half that.

I really like Elmore. I love how he is hard nosed, does anything the coaching staff asks. But FB is a dieing position in the NFL. Everyone is now looking for a athletic Hback which Elmore isn’t. Everyone is trying to find the next Kyle Juszczyk, 6’1” 230 who runs a 4.6-4.7. Elmore is not close to that type of an athlete. His best position for the next level would be C, OG, or NT.

I don't think he is either, but at least there are plenty of OL and DL. How many FB's are there?

I think you're confusing list price vs cost. Tuition is listed at about $50K. True cost of tuition to the university to provide a free education is probably less than half that.
I understand that but the SUAD pays full price for the scholarships it awards. The price is the price. The cost is irrelevant, at least as far as SUAD is concerned.

I see some can't understand this concept, and that is okay.

Carry on and never mind. ;)

This is bigger than football, though, and it is certainly going to be a department wide decision across all fall and winter sports. Happened in the Spring at other P5 institutions. You also saw a school that is extremely well endowed like Stanford cut 11 varsity sports in the Spring. And I expect a number of D-1 programs will announce they cannot provide the extra year the NCAA is allowing including some major P5 programs. That being said I am hopeful that we will try to accomodate any senior player who is in good academic standing. I don't, however expect any blanket offer to honor the additional year for underclassmen particularly since the 85 scholarship limit goes back into effect for 2022-23.

Agree. Heck Roy is footing the bill for the UNC spring athletes, not the school itself.

I understand that but the SUAD pays full price for the scholarships it awards. The price is the price. The cost is irrelevant, at least as far as SUAD is concerned.

I see some can't understand this concept, and that is okay.

Carry on and never mind. ;)
You think the SU athletics dept pays the SU Bursars office full list price for tuition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom