Seniors returning | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Seniors returning

There will be two interesting sets of developments to pay attention to this offseason. The first is which seniors opt to return. I would expect many of the guys on the two deep to explore returning, as most of them do not have NFL prospects today. Those not on the two-deep may get "the talk," or opt to leave on their own. Ditto guys who might be battling chronic injuries, who could opt to hang 'em up for that reason.

The second development will be fueled by the one-time ability to transfer and be immediately eligible. There's always unexpected attrition every year for a variety of reasons, but the ability to leave and play right away introduces a new wild card factor into the dynamic.

Punchline: I don't think we can look at the roster and predict today what the # of returning players will be. There are a lot of unprecedented circumstances underlying how things will shake out. I expect that we as a fanbase will be pleasantly pleased by some decisions, and caught off-guard by others.

So do we know of anyone coming back at this point, or definitely out?

The biggest thing is making sure we don’t cut a single sport. That’s more important imo then letting athletes come back as much as I want some

If he already knows the line would be suspect, wouldn’t DB say Elmore wouldn’t stick at OL? I think his comment on Elmore to FB means he expects to have a full line again, allowing Rhino to play a more versatile position in the offense given his size/skill/interests.
I like Elmore but he has not been versatile about catching balls or running for decent gains at 290. He has always mostly been used as a blocker even before his switch to the line. If your looking for a te there is better catching options in benson, Maher, hacket or mang. Lutz and jj would be better options coming out of the backfield for a pass. The only reason you keep Elmore as a fb is that you do not have confidence in your front 5 to hold their blocks.

You think the SU athletics dept pays the SU Bursars office full list price for tuition.
No. But it comes out of their budget that goes to the University. To the AD, it's real.

Not sure why you are arguing facts.

This offseason is a golden opportunity for us to take on some traditional "sit out a year" underclassman transfers and not impact the roster overall, since we can have 5th/6th years stay on an additional year due to Covid and do some roster clean up in the process.

This year was brutal overall, but we have an opportunity for a dramatic turnaround next season if this offseason is managed properly.

No, I am not confused. That is not how things work in the real world. Athletic departments play the university tuition for players on scholarship. At full price. There are no discounts.

If you want to argue that universities should not charge full tuition to athletic departments for athletic scholarships, go for it. I have no interest in pursuing that.
You are right this is how it is done for bookkeeping purposes in normal times, however these are not normal times and the other poster is correct that actual costs to the university are quite different from what they charge the athletic department. Because these edicts for additional eligibilty come from the NCAA and thus indirectly from college presidents, the presidents will necessarily have to make adjustments to normal procedures. They through the NCAA are the ones who have granted added eligibility, not ADs or athletic departments.

Last edited:
I understand that but the SUAD pays full price for the scholarships it awards. The price is the price. The cost is irrelevant, at least as far as SUAD is concerned.

I see some can't understand this concept, and that is okay.

Carry on and never mind. ;)

To be fair you aren't explaining it very well. I don't know what you're talking about

Tommy's not going anywhere. I got a random chance to hang out with him for an extended period of time, I didn't talk to him about football because I respect him enough to not beat him over the head with questions he's probably been asked a million times. However, I did get a decent feel for who he is as a human and he doesn't come across as the type of guy who takes his ball and goes home because things didn't go his way. He seems confident in himself.

It's funny because I also got a random chance to hang out with Dungey for an extended period of time, once, as well. Tommy and Eric are two completely different humans but are, at the same time, very similar. Tommy's got a quiet confidence, where as Dungey was a "I'm gonna go back flip off that rock, into the water" type of confidence but both aren't quitters. For that reason, I think Tommy comes back for both of his remaining years of eligibility.

We have pieces to fill in at returner and wide receiver next year. I anticipate wideout may be a position we seek immediate upgrade for anyways via transfer portal. Nothing else needs to be really said about this one.

fortunately the majority of this team’s remaining talent would be coming back next year anyways aside from possibly Iffy.

Iffy is a draftable player now, but also has a chance working himself into day 1 next year

You think the SU athletics dept pays the SU Bursars office full list price for tuition.
Of course not; it’s an internal accounting entry. The full tuition scholarship is charged to the football team expense account. I bet all ACC tv revenues are credited to the football revenue accounts too. Colleges use a fund accounting method

Did I read on this board that all ACC payouts to Syracuse go into the General Fund? Could swear someone with knowledge on this subject said that here.

You are right this is how it is done for bookkeeping purposes in normal times, however these are not normal times and the other poster is correct that actual costs to the university are quite different from what they charge the athletic department. Because these edicts for additional eligibilty come from the NCAA and thus indirectly from college presidents, the presidents will necessarily have to make adjustments to normal procedures. They through the NCAA are the ones who have granted added eligibility, not ADs or athletic departments.

please make Bear come back:)

Did I read on this board that all ACC payouts to Syracuse go into the General Fund? Could swear someone with knowledge on this subject said that here.

I think that's how it used to be set up but since ADJW arrived I think it's changed

We need some transfers and a lot of luck for that to happen.

Transfer portal is more important the. Ever, and they have to hit it in many key positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom