Setup of the New ACC | Syracusefan.com

Setup of the New ACC

rjkarl

Walk On
This is a hot topic in the ACC world.

As it stands right now there looks to be two divisions -North and South. The problem is who is the seventh team in the North?

Six are set - Cuse, Pitt, BC, MD, UVA and VT. The seventh will come from Wake, NC State or Clemson. The only reason Clemson may be #7 is the desire to keep te four NC schools together. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling that if the ACC stays at fourteen, Wake will be odd man out.

I think the internal setup problems will the prime factor in wanting to expand to sixteen teams. The talk regarding sixteen teams has centered around two eight team football divisions and four pods of four teams each for basketball.

In football, you'd play each team in your division and two or three teams out of the division in a rotating manner.

In basketball, you'd play your pod home and home and everyone else once a year with homecourt laternating every other year. You guys would get Duke, Carowhina, etc., every other year at the Carrier Dome.

This is a hot topic in the ACC world.

As it stands right now there looks to be two divisions -North and South. The problem is who is the seventh team in the North?

Six are set - Cuse, Pitt, BC, MD, UVA and VT. The seventh will come from Wake, NC State or Clemson. The only reason Clemson may be #7 is the desire to keep te four NC schools together. Unfortunately, I have a sinking feeling that if the ACC stays at fourteen, Wake will be odd man out.

I think the internal setup problems will the prime factor in wanting to expand to sixteen teams. The talk regarding sixteen teams has centered around two eight team football divisions and four pods of four teams each for basketball.

In football, you'd play each team in your division and two or three teams out of the division in a rotating manner.

In basketball, you'd play your pod home and home and everyone else once a year with homecourt laternating every other year. You guys would get Duke, Carowhina, etc., every other year at the Carrier Dome.
Has there been any discussion of Miami in the North?

From a historical standpoint, it makes a lot of sense.

I haven't heard anything about that.

There is clearly a serious hesitancy about Rutgers and that place in Storrs.

Has there been any discussion of Miami in the North?

From a historical standpoint, it makes a lot of sense.

From a cultural standpoint also. Miami is the most "Northern" city of those ACC schools

From a cultural standpoint also. Miami is the most "Northern" city of those ACC schools
And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, Miami has to get on a plane to get to *any* conference game, including FSU.

I think Miami in a "north" division for football makes a lot of sense. Hoops, at 14-teams, stays in a single grouping, with scheduling similar to what the ACC has done since they went to 12.

I don't think there will be divisions for basketball. We will have made-for-tv games like the Big East.

VT does not want to be with ex BE teams they are against this alignment as well, very much against. Basketball wise I think you should just go to one 14 team division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom