Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it’s not about being a starter; it’s about playing time, so the players develop better. It’s too bad we can’t have a line shift where we bring in young players with a shot blocker and let them run the opponent’s hard!

How many FF have been made by coaches employing this tactic? How many by coaches leaning on 7-8 playing a majority of the minutes?

How many FF have been made by coaches employing this tactic? How many by coaches leaning on 7-8 playing a majority of the minutes?
Dean Smith did, with his famous "Blue Team". And he went to a lot of FF's. But lots of folks think his teams, which were more talented than just about anybody, underperformed. To win his 2 NC's he needed a Freddy Brown pass and a Chris Webber TO. Oh, and Michael Jordan.

Last edited:
Adam is a Kentucky guy; so take his output with that in mind!

Still trying to figure out his comments about us not recruiting someone that plays his position... and it's interesting he sees himself as guard.

“The skillset I can bring to college is I can handle the ball and I can shoot off the dribble with ease,” he said. “My three-point shot is by far my best quality. I can jump out the gym so I can play point guard and shooting guard.”

Zagsblog
I personally see college coaches slotting him as a 3...but nonetheless having versatile playmakers and guys that can play multiple positions allows coach’s to have more flexibility with lineups and rotations and is a huge ++ for any team, especially for us as we’ve had problems with depth in recent years.

He mentioned he is the only kid we are recruiting hard at his position.. curious what that position is. We have a 2 and a 3 committed...

I get the depth argument and it would be awesome if the approach was for him to be a guy off the bench getting minutes his frosh year playing multiple positions. Or maybe staff isn't so sure on Lands sticking? Just a comment that throws you off a bit
Maybe we're recruiting him as a hybrid 6/7?

Dean Smith did, with his famous "Blue Team". And he went to a lot of FF's. But lots of folks think his teams, which we more talented than just about anybody, underperformed. To win his 2 NC's he needed a Freddy Brown pass and a Chris Webber TO. Oh, and Michael Jordan.
His last couple final four teams moved away from that though.

1995 they had all 5 starters averaging over 30 mpg.

1997 they had 6 guys averaging 28 mpg+. The 7th man played 8 mpg. And that’s it.

When you look at who those starters were, it makes sense.

1994-95 UNC Tar Heels Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
1996-97 UNC Tar Heels Roster and Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Point forward? Though id imagine Kamari fits that better
I would imagine that Kamari will/could play 2-4 and that the coaches see Bunch more as a 3 and Kamari as a 4? Or maybe even a 2? That makes Bunch the only 3 we’re recruiting... thats the only thing that makes sense to me, I guess it depends on where the coaches see Kamari though.

A lot of versatility with these kids we’re targeting, they all could play a number of positions and so it might just come down to whoever is playing the best will see the most minutes.

I would imagine that Kamari will/could play 2-4 and that the coaches see Bunch maybe as more of a 3 and Kamari as a 4? Or maybe even a 2? That would make Bunch the only 3 we’re recruiting... thats the only thing that makes to me, I guess it depends on where the coaches see Kamari though.

A lot of versatility with these kids we’re targeting, they all could play a number of positions and so it might just come down to whoever is playing the best will see the most minutes.

JB may be stubborn as they get but sometimes he does surprise. No doubt he saw what Baylor did and the you play 3 positions approach certainly isn't a bad idea.. especially if it is with 6-6 guys and up.

JB may be stubborn as they get but sometimes he does surprise. No doubt he saw what Baylor did and the you play 3 positions approach certainly isn't a bad idea.. especially if it is with 6-6 guys and up.
I agree with this, but with one caveat: The Baylor Bears were able to thrive on the offensive AND defensive ends because of their length (check), quickness (much less so) and strength (swing and miss).

We have to get a little stronger to best compete, especially on the boards.

Last edited:
I agree with this, but with one caveat: Thr Baylor Beats were able to thrive on the offensive AND defensive ends because of their length (check), quickness (much less so) and strength (swing and miss).

We have to get a little stronger to beat compete, especially on the boards.

Yes- I'm looking at the team we are after which would definitely check off the athleticism box if we finish it out.

I personally see college coaches slotting him as a 3...but nonetheless having versatile playmakers and guys that can play multiple positions allows coach’s to have more flexibility with lineups and rotations and is a huge ++ for any team, especially for us as we’ve had problems with depth in recent years.
JB was a forerunner in recruiting guys with versatility who could play multiple positions.

He sees the direction the NBA is going with a big surrounded by shooters. If possible, the big also needs to be able to spread the floor.

not a fan of the waist band... Nike always finds a way to mess it up smh.

Hmm, what do these basketball shorts need to finish the look? I know! A leather spiked belt! That will make an Orange seem tough!

He and Lands are in the same class, as is Taylor. Plus among 2 of the 3 guards we still seem to be in the hunt for, they play the 2 guard, too, and we're looking to convert them into PGs.

That's too many guys for the same position, like last year we had 4 centers, and wound up playing Marek there for most of the time. That's not how to build an effective roster.

The problem wasn't having four centers on the roster, it was having four centers that (for whatever reason) JB couldn't/wouldn't give any playing time.

If Bunch, Lands, Taylor and Starling/Copeland/Westry can all defend, rebound, drive, pass and shoot well for their size, I don't see a problem, I see a dominant group that can do everything.

Each one of those guys is a potential mismatch being taller or more skilled than typical (especially if the final piece is Copeland) for their position. It's like having 4 Dolezaj on the court at once, but they'll take the open 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom