Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny is not less than no 2 option. Come on guys
Okay. If it's such a silly notion, wanna wager who takes more shots, Joe or Benny?
: )

We are in agreement in assuming Buddy is no. 1, right? Between Joe, Swider, and Benny... it's hard for me to see a Frosh stepping in and being Robin to Buddy's Batman. But, i hope he's that good.

Okay. If it's such a silly notion, wanna wager who takes more shots, Joe or Benny?

We are in agreement in assuming Buddy is no. 1, right? Between Joe, Swider, and Benny... it's hard for me to see a Frosh stepping in and being Robin to Buddy's Batman. But, i hope he's that good.
I'm already prepared to be upset about JG3 averaging more FGAs per game than Benny.

Number of shots taken is not exactly the same as which option you are

Number of shots taken is not exactly the same as which option you are
Granted. The original point, though, was about how he might stack stats enough to impress scouts.

I really hope Benny takes more shots than the PG.
If Benny is as good as Quincy Guerrier stats last year I will be stoked.
I don’t expect it because I see otherwise I expect Benny will play the 3rd most forward minutes. Not what I want but I what I expect.

I really hope Benny takes more shots than the PG.
If Benny is as good as Quincy Guerrier stats last year I will be stoked.
I don’t expect it because I see otherwise I expect Benny will play the 3rd most forward minutes. Not what I want but I what I expect.
Depending on how they do, I think it will be pretty even

I don’t disagree but Kansas is most definitely in a different class program wise than LSU and Auburn.
Let’s talk about class. If Lands had stayed committed to Syracuse and heaven forbid, he would get injured in his senior year of High School, Syracuse would as they have shown in the past still honor his commitment and give him a scholarship. Surprising, Syracuse can show loyalty to a high school recruit but at least one can not honor his word.

Hey, Lands is a 18 yr old, highly recruited and has not signed any commitment papers. So, I guess it is okay when a recruit changes his mind but it is hell to play if the school gives up on a recruit that committed. Sounds a little uneven.

By the way, Lands does not owe Syracuse anything and Syracuse does not owe him anything either.

Last edited:
usa_today_13956838.0.jpg

Buddy is gone. There’s other high level players we are after that can make up for the Lands loss.
When was the last time a Boeheim left the program when the option to stay was still open?

Apologize up front for looking back in time. I’m old.

I remember when recruits wanted to come to a college/university just for a chance to play and earn a free college education by competing in a sport. The opportunity to play professional was there after college although limited. Smart players went to classes because they realized education was important for a future career outside of basketball. The games were more exciting, the college rivalries added to the excitement and it was enjoyable to watch.

At some point, money and greed changed the game. Players wanted to capitalize on their talent and early successes. Professional teams and even collegiate teams were willing to pay for their services even if the players‘ play had not fully matured. No one could fault the players for leaving early for pay because there was always the chance of incurring an injury in college that could be career threatening or career ending.

Now we have high school players looking on capitalizing on their possible value for playing at a college. In recent years I have questioned when a high school player like Dior Johnson, Chance Westry and even Kamari Lands have switched high schools on almost a yearly basis. Surely, it is for maximizing basketball potential but you have to wonder if it is more that they can’t cut it in high school. If so, how can they make it college to stay eligible?

I highlighted those three players but there are many more like them. Dior Johnson committed to Syracuse and then Syracuse stated that they were not committed to Dior. What brought that on? Heard stories where a 16 year recruit would call his college recruiters at 3AM to bs. Can you imagine coaching these kids at any level? By the time, they graduate (or leave) high school, they have had 3-4 high school coaches and they probably are uncoachable because they believe that they are the “talent”. Hey, i know that there were always headcases at Syracuse like Mike Jones, Mark Konecny and even Paul Harris. Some leave early and some stay until asked to leave.

Good luck to the colleges that eventually sign these traveling recruits and to the year maybe two that they play there.

I know that time changes and the game evolves (so do the players and coaches). I miss the sollege games of the 60s (when I first listened to them on a transistor radio), the 70s (when I was in college and first in the workplace) and 80s the 90s where the Big East rivalries were so prominent (Pearl, Shem, DC, Rony, Stevie, and so on and so forth).

I remember when recruits wanted to come to a college/university just for a chance to play and earn a free college education by competing in a sport. The opportunity to play professional was there after college although limited. Smart players went to classes because they realized education was important for a future career outside of basketball. The games were more exciting, the college rivalries added to the excitement and it was enjoyable to watch.

At some point, money and greed changed the game. Players wanted to capitalize on their talent and early successes. Professional teams and even collegiate teams were willing to pay for their services even if the players‘ play had not fully matured. No one could fault the players for leaving early for pay because there was always the chance of incurring an injury in college that could be career threatening or career ending.

Now we have high school players looking on capitalizing on their possible value for playing at a college. In recent years I have questioned when a high school player like Dior Johnson, Chance Westry and even Kamari Lands have switched high schools on almost a yearly basis. Surely, it is for maximizing basketball potential but you have to wonder if it is more that they can’t cut it in high school. If so, how can they make it college to stay eligible?

I highlighted those three players but there are many more like them. Dior Johnson committed to Syracuse and then Syracuse stated that they were not committed to Dior. What brought that on? Heard stories where a 16 year recruit would call his college recruiters at 3AM to bs. Can you imagine coaching these kids at any level? By the time, they graduate (or leave) high school, they have had 3-4 high school coaches and they probably are uncoachable because they believe that they are the “talent”. Hey, i know that there were always headcases at Syracuse like Mike Jones, Mark Konecny and even Paul Harris. Some leave early and some stay until asked to leave.

Good luck to the colleges that eventually sign these traveling recruits and to the year maybe two that they play there.

I know that time changes and the game evolves (so do the players and coaches). I miss the sollege games of the 60s (when I first listened to them on a transistor radio), the 70s (when I was in college and first in the workplace) and 80s the 90s where the Big East rivalries were so prominent (Pearl, Shem, DC, Rony, Stevie, and so on and so forth).

Good stuff. I have posted a few times about how this is changing the game and you do a much better job explaining it than I did ( albeit I can't speak directly to watching games that far back as being born in the early 80s).

Top players want to play early or go elsewhere to play early. They want to get paid. The uniform they put on has far less to do with anything but how they can get to that money. The next tier below also wants playing time and dreams of jumping to that top tier if they don't already feel they belong. After that you still have the kids who are grateful to play college ball and yet that same nostalgia is still not the same.

Now, whether we just made the inner workings more mainstream which certainly has merit, doesn't matter. Look at it this way- social media has brought the mentalities that have existed forever to be exposed ( for the worse mostly) but because of that it has changed how we approach things and interact with one another. It also has diluted our commitment to things. Its the same here. It may not have changed 1/10 as much as the actions and opinions state it has but that is the point. We operate in a world of hype of public sentiment vs operational reality today.

I'm with you in spirit. But, even at our 'advanced ages,' we have to recognize that the world—not just college athletics—is a vastly different place. We have people earning millions of dollars on youtube and tiktok, as children/teens. People making hundreds of thousands of dollars a month on OnlyFans... We have rappers in instagram photos on private jets... and we have the G-League and whatever the heck Overtime Elite is (i thought that was a TBT team...). The uneducated are getting paid. Bigly. College just may not ever represent what it once did—an entryway to a career.

It's not fair to call it "greed." I'm fully with you, on the thought that a college scholarship is a valuable commodity, and that the opportunity to build a 'brand' and a draft worthiness is a valuable benefit of attending college. But, there are other avenues now, and the kids are like water—they'll usually take the path of least resistance. Kids in general—not just basketball players.

The old system just isn't going to work, and the most successful schools will have to adapt and learn to exploit the way things are now. Unfortunately, with our coach being (much) older than even we are, i'm not sure it's in the cards for us to react appropriately. I mean, i'm 53, and i'm now working for a tech startup, and every day i say aloud to myself, "I just don't have the energy to get invested in how things are done these days." The New World just doesn't interest me—actually, i outright dislike it—and the inertia isn't pointed in the direction of learning new stuff. At least, not this kind of stuff. I just want to be better at what i've always done in the past. JB has 20 more years of that than i do, plus a hell of a lot more physical miles. We can only hope that the staff we have—who will eventually succeed JB, probably—does have that energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom