Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, a few things...

1 - he's clearly a Syracuse hoops MEGA-fan.
2 - he decided (just because) to donate $1 MILLION to local charities, simply because a Syracuse-adjacent hoops team won the TBT.
3 - he took over an established family business, so I'm not sure how "hard earned" his $ is, and clearly a few hundred K here and there is play money for him, like one of us finding a $20 in our pocket while doing laundry.
I'd gladly give $20 to get a kid to commit to Cuse hoops, but I don't think that'll move the needle. ;)
Also who knows how liquid someone is. Net worth is meaningless in this context

Kind of gives Bill Self away there eh? We can talk Wade, Pearl, etc all we want but for my money Bill Self is hands down the dirtiest and slimiest dude in the game. There is NO ONE I root against more than him. Not just for his team to lose but for a basketball hoop to land on his head when he walks out of the gym. I’d take 10 John Caliparis vs 1 Bill Self. Rant over.
His cousin goes to Kansas

Kind of gives Bill Self away there eh? We can talk Wade, Pearl, etc all we want but for my money Bill Self is hands down the dirtiest and slimiest dude in the game. There is NO ONE I root against more than him. Not just for his team to lose but for a basketball hoop to land on his head when he walks out of the gym. I’d take 10 John Caliparis vs 1 Bill Self. Rant over.
Translation Bill Selfs check cleared.

have fun playing in a crappy league

He's liquid enough to donate a million bucks, off the cuff.

I'd call that fairly liquid.
Maybe although we have little insight into how that’s being done either. Maybe he has a foundation. Maybe it comes out of the change container in his car. Either way trying to proxy how much a person can afford to dedicate to boosting recruits is difficult.

I'm sure all the big programs are coordinating an NIL program with their boosters and local businesses. Yes, the money cannot come from school and it won't. But there is likely a very coordinated effort to put together a plan for specific recruits and the coaching staffs make this known to the recruit. I don't think SU is there yet so our response to these queries by recruits and their handlers may be viewed as insufficient. We'll get there eventually (will have to to compete). I'm guessing Duke and UNC are far ahead of us in this new world.

I always got the vibe that weitsman is a JB fan, not really a cuse fan. Will be interesting to see what he does in a few years.

Ditto. In fact, the first memory that pops into my head when I hear his name is not anything he did while wearing a Cuse uni. It was that highlight clip of him in high school that was posted in his recruiting thread where he ran like 2/3 of the court on 2 dribbles before dunking it.
That 3 going down in Elam Ending would have been quite a memory.

Charity is a tax write off.
He is doing a good thing but it’s giving money to charity over the US government.
We have no clue if he is willing to buy recruits with NIL. Nor do we want the SU AD dependent on him doing that.
Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't any NIL monies spent be a valid business tax deduction? You're essentially paying a student-athlete to promote/advertise your business. I don't spend a ton on advertising my business, but what I do spend, I deduct every last bit of it. Right down to even the costs of getting business cards for my employees. Obviously, Weitzman wouldn't be paying these kids personally, it would be his scrap company cutting the checks. Tax write-off either way...

Unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't any NIL monies spent be a valid business tax deduction? You're essentially paying a student-athlete to promote/advertise your business. I don't spend a ton on advertising my business, but what I do spend, I deduct every last bit of it. Right down to even the costs of getting business cards for my employees. Obviously, Weitzman wouldn't be paying these kids personally, it would be his scrap company cutting the checks. Tax write-off either way...

I mean no matter your business model it would just likely be an advertising expense assuming that is the deal he would negotiate. That would essentially be the only way to do it and have a fully documented trail and agreement for those funds that also would run through SU compliance.

For what we are talking about it would likely work so that the paperwork of doing ad work for his business is pre drafted and approved to make it easier for any student athlete once enrolled.

Another point though is having a number of these is the way to go. Thus the SA isn't funneled just to AW because even he is going to have a budget and limits. Buddy definitely paved the way for showing how to do it on a small scale but for the big fish you need multiple options. This is where I think this whole thing could really get messy and confusing.

Kansas I get.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Louisville steps in too.

So long as the LSU and Auburn’s of the league dont land him.

I don't see much difference between Kansas, Louisville, LSU and Auburn.
Kansas and Louisville are relevant. Kansas is a blue blood and yes UL’s been dirty but they’re a top 10 program with big time NIL opportunities in basketball.

Lands also spoke early towards waiting for a Cards offer before committing to Cuse.

Auburn and LSU are like Seton Hall but bigger pockets.

Kansas and Louisville are relevant. Kansas is a blue blood and yes UL’s been dirty but they’re a top 10 program with big time NIL opportunities in basketball.

Lands also spoke early towards waiting for a Cards offer before committing to Cuse.

Auburn and LSU are like Seton Hall but bigger pockets.
Kansas is largely Kansas because of doing things like LSU and Auburn. They’ve just been doing it longer and have been allowed to do it without penalty.

Kansas is largely Kansas because of doing things like LSU and Auburn. They’ve just been doing it longer and have been allowed to do it without penalty.
I don’t disagree but Kansas is most definitely in a different class program wise than LSU and Auburn.

L$U has been top 5 in recruiting since Wade ha$ gone there. He know$ what he’$ doing.
Not arguing there. Im speaking more to producing draft picks and hanging banners. LSU’s not in the conversation aside from the $

I believe that with the concept of NIL there will be more and more hestitation to commit to one college until the recruits have done due diligence to see what they can get out of a school.

Remember this is no longer the simple college commitment, it is now a business and the business is how much one can get out of a college.

Regarding Lands, if he continues to be ranked in the top 20, he will have the option of going to college, playing in the Overtime Elite league or playing overseas. It will be his decision or that of his managing team.

Anyway, until a recruit signs the commitment paper (which he never has), shows up to practice and is on the team when they play the first game of the season, I am/will not probably going to root for any recruit to play at Syracuse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors