Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Braswell on the team is the difference between being on probation and being finished with probation.

The odds are high that he will be a 3-4 yr player. He is thin, but skilled. He has lots to work on, but when you are on probation, you don't have enough scholarships that you can afford to take a player like this and develop him.
Now that probation is essentially over, you can afford to take the talent and develop him. These are the kinds of players that smooth out ups and downs in the program. If he is patient enough, I predict that he will be a high impact player as a senior, and possibly as a junior as well. He could be a starter, or key 6th man, depending on the recruits that come in. Despite what many of you say, JB is an elite developer of players. Amongst the best in the business. They improve because of him, not despite him. As long as they listen to him.

As I have said countless times on this board, losing the ability to offer scholarships to these types of players is what probation is designed to do. The loss of opportunity to them is the primary impact. This leaves the program with a razor thin margin to maintain relevancy. If you miss on just 1-2 kids, your program will slide. These kids give you the ability to miss (as all coaches will) sometimes.

This is what has happened to SU. Despite the common theme amongst a certain group of people on the board. You need perfection to stay elite, and no one is perfect. But hey, you keep up the theme that JB has lost it. You keep up the theme that the assistants suck.

SU is unfettered again, they will be back, and now be able to do some damage to the ACC.
And also a player that could transfer because of lack of playing time , but he has a skill set where he can thrive hear eventually.

It's clear that fellow fans getting a bit over excited truly gets under some folks nerves. Let's put it this way. We had all of two true forwards to play with before yesterday. Now we have 3. Whether we needed 3 or could roll with an undersized guy all year is yet to be seen. It's a damn good and exciting thing to know , given our track record with injuries of late and other issues that we added some quality depth. That is worth being excited for. We argue way too much over how excited we should be on here...

It's clear that fellow fans getting a bit over excited truly gets under some folks nerves. Let's put it this way. We had all of two true forwards to play with before yesterday. Now we have 3. Whether we needed 3 or could roll with an undersized guy all year is yet to be seen. It's a damn good and exciting thing to know , given our track record with injuries of late and other issues that we added some quality depth. That is worth being excited for. We argue way too much over how excited we should be on here...

Exactly! I'm just glad that if Marek and Oshae both get in foul trouble, which isn't out of the realm of possibility if they both end up starting, that we'll have a big forward better than the average poster on this board to put into the lineup.

I like the pickup. Given the circumstances, needs and how everything played out i defiantly give the staff credit. He's a skilled developmental player who will take some time adjusting to the level of play and the system but, as others have stated, 3-4 yr players are very important for this program. He played at a lower level of HS ball and given how little he played in the post and with his slight frame (link provided below) he will have quite the learning curve a head of him in the ACC. But I like that he feels that he sees the floor well and is a skilled player with perimeter range. Is love to see him on campus this summer.

Exactly! I'm just glad that if Marek and Oshae both get in foul trouble, which isn't out of the realm of possibility if they both end up starting, that we'll have a big forward better than the average poster on this board to put into the lineup.

I will say the last part of your post is an intriguing experiment lol...

The only thing i chuckle about is the South campus comments... Have they significantly upgraded the South campus apartments in the past 12 years? They were awesome for the independence but badly needed an upgrade last I remember...

The way I look at it we took the floor against Duke with a forward rotation of Brissett, Dolezaj, and Moyer - two true freshmaen and a redshirt who was challenged by injuries. At this point, coming off a sweet 16 appearance we go into the season with our two starters a year older with the only question being the magnitude of their improvement, a third rotation piece of either Braswell or Hughes if Braswell is not ready to contribute. We will be better at forward next year than we were during 2017-18.

Hughes is the real wild card here. If Battle returns (unlikely) we are clearly much better at guard with a Battle - Howard - Carey rotation and Washington and Buddy as insurance. Hughes can almost be a super utility guy.

Still want a third center to protect against Chukwu / Sidibe health and foul trouble issues. Don't want to see Marek play another minute at 5 but we do have that "break glass in an emergency" option. Osun really rounds out an almost ideal roster.

The only thing i chuckle about is the South campus comments... Have they significantly upgraded the South campus apartments in the past 12 years? They were awesome for the independence but badly needed an upgrade last I remember...

They're in the process of planning to tear them down to move all students to dorms on main (more money because of the meal plans and amenities). Besides the electric stoves and radiators, they were fine for what they were IMO.

Regarding the commitment, I'm hoping he can contribute at least 10 minutes per game. He's a project.

I love this pick up as I’ve previously said. If Marek or Brissett gets in foul trouble, the other one will play the 4 and Hughes will be at the 3. But like you said, if they both get in foul trouble, Bras will go to the 4 with Hughes at the 3. Nice insurance especially since we lost Matt.

They live in UV, not in the South Campus apartments

Agree. We can fuss over his skill set and comparisons this summer (Lydon, Southy, Grant, etc..). Right now, the most important thing about this recruit is the depth he provides and the rotation flexibility. Without Braswell, we were staring at another swap-out situation with Hughes and whichever forward picked up fouls or got nicked up. Bras takes that pressure off. Hughes can still drop down, but he doesn't have to. With rebounding and possessions being so important, it's a big relief to bring in a kid who's got forward size AND pogo-sticks for legs.

Those of you questioning his explosiveness should watch some youtube high-jumping vids. If getting your entire body over a bar 6'10" high is not explosion, I don't know what is. He has a very good handle, another trait you don't see with forwards (including Grant and Southy). Is he at Bazely's level (probable starter and likely NBA 1st rounder after one-year)? No. But we don't need him to be. This season, the world is his oyster .. with two starters in front of him but minutes available depending on how quickly he develops. I love this kid's upside and the depth he provides can't be overstated. Good family, no ego/handler circus, etc.. Great pickup at a critical, improbable time.

Last edited:
I stand by the fact that rober Braswell is a better shooter the grant

If you put him in the NBA right now he would not shoot 30% from three. end of argument.

Neither would the freshman Grant.

I believe that is the comparison Pearl was making.
I'd have some serious doubts about Freshman Grant even hitting the rim from 3. The fact that he's has come such a long way as a basketball player, versus a super athletic freshman is very impressive!

I'd have some serious doubts about Freshman Grant even hitting the rim from 3. The fact that he's has come such a long way as a basketball player, versus a super athletic freshman is very impressive!

He was a 40% shooter from 3 that year!!!! Just ignore that he only made 6.

He was a 40% shooter from 3 that year!!!! Just ignore that he only made 6.
It's cool...my eyes are bad and that fine print is just way tooo small!!!

Quick Thread Derailment:

Hey CuseLegacy,
What's a guy gotta do to upgrade from Walk On status? Although SU is my dream school I can't afford to keep paying my own way here and may have to transfer out to a D2 or G5 board where I can get a full ride and Starter status immediately.

Respect My Whining

Loyal but Growing Poorer in Reno,
CA Monk

Quick Thread Derailment:

Hey CuseLegacy,
What's a guy gotta do to upgrade from Walk On status? Although SU is my dream school I can't afford to keep paying my own way here and may have to transfer out to a D2 or G5 board where I can get a full ride and Starter status immediately.

Respect My Whining

Loyal but Growing Poorer in Reno,
CA Monk

You need 250 posts to get promoted.

You need 250 posts to get promoted.
As Steve Martin would say, "Aaah, so it's a numbers game." Well that's too easy. Anyone could post all day and pad their numbers. I won't, but one could. I thought "Likes" played into it somehow. Looks like I'll be able to afford it after all and can quit my night job at Heid's.

Oh yeah, back to matters at hand, this Braswell kid is a great pick up so late in the game. Anything we get out of him this year will be a bonus. I have no doubt the bball brain trust will develop this raw skywalker. I think this is a case where being in the rugged ACC helped in recruiting.

Players we haven't seen play are often compared to players we have seen until they get hear and we can watch them close-up against college competition. I can't remember two SU players whose skill set and game were identical. There are always difference that make them individuals.

What can we expect from Robert Braswell next year?
I'm pretty excited about this pick up! Sounds like we might have found a real under the radar gem in this kid. But I don't know too much about him, other than he played in Germany where he developed guard skills and he didn't really play on the AAU circuit. What is realistic to expect from him this coming year? Is he going to be able to contribute productive minutes right away backing up our lone 2 forwards, or is Elijah Hughes going to get most of those minutes when Brisset and Dolezaj get breathers?