Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

What can we expect from Robert Braswell next year?
I'm pretty excited about this pick up! Sounds like we might have found a real under the radar gem in this kid. But I don't know too much about him, other than he played in Germany where he developed guard skills and he didn't really play on the AAU circuit. What is realistic to expect from him this coming year? Is he going to be able to contribute productive minutes right away backing up our lone 2 forwards, or is Elijah Hughes going to get most of those minutes when Brisset and Dolezaj get breathers?
While I'm also very happy about this recruit, I don't expect a whole lot from him during his rookie season. I think he'll develop well in our program, and likely turn out to be a very good 4-year program player. Maybe even great in his junior and - more likely - senior seasons. He flew under the radar not because he lacks talent, but because he just wasn't in places that gave him much visibility the last couple of years.

His time in Germany under European coaches both hurt and helped him. I think it makes him a much more well-rounded player, but he's absolutely not prepared to play any kind of dominating, post up basketball.

All in all a positive, and very interesting, SU player in the long term.

What can we expect from Robert Braswell next year?
I'm pretty excited about this pick up! Sounds like we might have found a real under the radar gem in this kid. But I don't know too much about him, other than he played in Germany where he developed guard skills and he didn't really play on the AAU circuit. What is realistic to expect from him this coming year? Is he going to be able to contribute productive minutes right away backing up our lone 2 forwards, or is Elijah Hughes going to get most of those minutes when Brisset and Dolezaj get breathers?

If Hughes doesn’t start at the 2, he’ll be the first player off the bench excluding centers. This team has a lot of flexibility with several players capable of playing 2 positions. Hughes could come in for Frank with Carey moving to the 1 and Hughes playing the 2. He could come in for Carey at the 2. He could come in for Brissett at the 3. And lastly he could come in for Dolezaj with Brissett sliding to the 4 and Hughes playing the 3.

If Hughes doesn’t start at the 2, he’ll be the first player off the bench excluding centers. This team has a lot of flexibility with several players capable of playing 2 positions. Hughes could come in for Frank with Carey moving to the 1 and Hughes playing the 2. He could come in for Carey at the 2. He could come in for Brissett at the 3. And lastly he could come in for Dolezaj with Brissett sliding to the 4 and Hughes playing the 3.

Agreed. Frank, Carey, Hughes, Brissett, and Dolezaj are all capable of playing two positions. We should have lots of lineup flexibility because of this.

are you trying to sell this kid, or what?

yeah, he was good in the big xii . . . but it took syracuse to make him look top 4 pick good
How do you know. If he had stayed at Iowa State for 2 years (transfer year plus playing year) he could have been better.

Last edited:
The Bazely comparisons are foolish but I like how the staff acted quickly to find a talented player who can fill Moyer’s void sooner than later. Would not be surprised if this kid comes in better for us than how Moyer was this past season. Obviously the bar is set very low regarding Moyer’s ability and that scenario but this kid is intriguing and has skill.

Disclaimer: I dont really want to see marek play the 5 for us.

BUT what do you guys think of a small ball lineup of Frank, Carey, Hughes, brissett and marek on the court at the same time? Would be our best offensive weapons on the court together but we would be lacking seriously in other areas. What are the chances we see this lineup? Just curious what others thought

BUT what do you guys think of a small ball lineup of Frank, Carey, Hughes, brissett and marek on the court at the same time? Would be our best offensive weapons on the court together but we would be lacking seriously in other areas. What are the chances we see this lineup? Just curious what others thought

It’s not an impossible scenario. But if Sidibe is 100%, he can provide some offense.

2018-05-14_1503.png

Don't care what anyone else thinks, I think this looks pretty impressive.

How do you know. If he had stayed at Iowa's State for 2 years (transfer year plus playing year) he could have been better.
i don't have to imagine what might have been because i can point to what actually was

in any case its a moot point now. he chose wisely.

Exactly! I'm just glad that if Marek and Oshae both get in foul trouble, which isn't out of the realm of possibility if they both end up starting, that we'll have a big forward better than the average poster on this board to put into the lineup.

In our rush to designate Oshea and Marek as next year's 38 minute a night guys, you need to remember that both are incomplete players.

Brissett doesn't finish that well though contact at the rim, although he is good at drawing fouls. When he's not the 3rd option next year, it will be interesting to see if he gets called for charges more often, which may lead to more foul trouble than last year.

As for Marek, he's promising, but he only played well for about a month. He's probably going to go through some growing pains next year, too. He doesn't have much outside shot yet. He's mostly the guy who makes hustle plays and is showing some midrange game. But remember, he was the 4th option last year.

Since Brissett was better as a shooter from straight-on looks, and since Marek I don't believe made a 3 all season, I think we're going to see Braswell for 10 minutes a game.

It's really unlikely that Battle will be back, especially with 5 other guards on the roster. But since one of those guards (HWashington) is coming off an ACL, he might not play until January, or maybe will redshirt if he doesn't make enough progress in recovery. So I see Hughes, Carey, Frank and Buddy as a zone buster.

Likewise, if we get the center prospect, Osunniyi, I think he's going to see 10 minutes a game. I feel like one of Chukwu or Sidibe is going to have times this year when they are physically limited. It will be nice to have guys playing in the proper positions this year.

In our rush to designate Oshea and Marek as next year's 38 minute a night guys, you need to remember that both are incomplete players.

Brissett doesn't finish that well though contact at the rim, although he is good at drawing fouls. When he's not the 3rd option next year, it will be interesting to see if he gets called for charges more often, which may lead to more foul trouble than last year.

As for Marek, he's promising, but he only played well for about a month. He's probably going to go through some growing pains next year, too. He doesn't have much outside shot yet. He's mostly the guy who makes hustle plays and is showing some midrange game. But remember, he was the 4th option last year.

Since Brissett was better as a shooter from straight-on looks, and since Marek I don't believe made a 3 all season, I think we're going to see Braswell for 10 minutes a game.

It's really unlikely that Battle will be back, especially with 5 other guards on the roster. But since one of those guards (HWashington) is coming off an ACL, he might not play until January, or maybe will redshirt if he doesn't make enough progress in recovery. So I see Hughes, Carey, Frank and Buddy as a zone buster.

Likewise, if we get the center prospect, Osunniyi, I think he's going to see 10 minutes a game. I feel like one of Chukwu or Sidibe is going to have times this year when they are physically limited. It will be nice to have guys playing in the proper positions this year.
Marek made a big 3 in the NCAA tournament

exactly the kid I like to see come in, RAW, lot of athleticism, length and can have time to improve and grow into the game, we won't hear rumors of him jumping to the NBA in two years and if we do, it means that he has improved immensely at Syracuse. Even if we strike gold here, he looks to be a minimum of a 3 year player and most likely a 4 year guy. Great pick up. Looks like he can already shoot as well. Have to get a blend of elite talent and program guys. Great pick up considering the game they were dealt.

I have no idea how good the kid can be whatsoever but the framework is there and doesn't sound like a kid that grew up on the AAU circuit from age 11.

While I'm also very happy about this recruit, I don't expect a whole lot from him during his rookie season. I think he'll develop well in our program, and likely turn out to be a very good 4-year program player. Maybe even great in his junior and - more likely - senior seasons. He flew under the radar not because he lacks talent, but because he just wasn't in places that gave him much visibility the last couple of years.

His time in Germany under European coaches both hurt and helped him. I think it makes him a much more well-rounded player, but he's absolutely not prepared to play any kind of dominating, post up basketball.

All in all a positive, and very interesting, SU player in the long term.

I’d much prefer a big with Euro-skills - post up skills can be taught and applied more quickly. Passing and shooting for a guy his size might not be developed in college otherwise.

I’d much prefer a big with Euro-skills - post up skills can be taught and applied more quickly. Passing and shooting for a guy his size might not be developed in college otherwise.

Agree 100%, a kid that can play multiple positions with his size is great, and will need time to develop, GOD FORBID. Get athletes let them grow into the game, also get kids with HIGH Hoops IQ that may max their talents out through 4-5 years in college but that is great too. Not everyone of our best players has to be an NBA first rounder. Balance

I’d be careful to get to caught up on the 53% from 3. It was on 17 attempts and he made 9. Not sure if that’s a large enough sample size.

the fact that he only took 17 tells you all you need to know. who only shoots 17 threes?

We will see teams with no player taller than 6-5 and we might even want to go smaller than that (Hughes at 4 Buddy at 3) maybe not for long stretches but if we want to press to throw them off so they can't comfortably launch long 3s over our zone. Its an option.

Not to mention both our centers have had injury issues so far in there Syracuse careers. If Marek plays all 4 years theres a good chance at some point he plays a fair bit of 5 like Lydon did his second year. I'm cool with it.

the fact that he only took 17 tells you all you need to know. who only shoots 17 threes?
I'm not sure those are complete stats. If you got that total from the same site I did, it said 17 attempts in 12 games. But his HS team went 24-3.

I'm not sure those are complete stats. If you got that total from the same site I did, it said 17 attempts in 12 games. But his HS team went 24-3.

The numbers you were looking at were probably from EYBL.