Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

In our rush to designate Oshea and Marek as next year's 38 minute a night guys, you need to remember that both are incomplete players.

Brissett doesn't finish that well though contact at the rim, although he is good at drawing fouls. When he's not the 3rd option next year, it will be interesting to see if he gets called for charges more often, which may lead to more foul trouble than last year.

As for Marek, he's promising, but he only played well for about a month. He's probably going to go through some growing pains next year, too. He doesn't have much outside shot yet. He's mostly the guy who makes hustle plays and is showing some midrange game. But remember, he was the 4th option last year.

Since Brissett was better as a shooter from straight-on looks, and since Marek I don't believe made a 3 all season, I think we're going to see Braswell for 10 minutes a game.

It's really unlikely that Battle will be back, especially with 5 other guards on the roster. But since one of those guards (HWashington) is coming off an ACL, he might not play until January, or maybe will redshirt if he doesn't make enough progress in recovery. So I see Hughes, Carey, Frank and Buddy as a zone buster.

Likewise, if we get the center prospect, Osunniyi, I think he's going to see 10 minutes a game. I feel like one of Chukwu or Sidibe is going to have times this year when they are physically limited. It will be nice to have guys playing in the proper positions this year.

Major focus this summer for Brissett is on finishing at the basket, should be major improvement

MCW was a MacDonalds AA, no way a sleeper.

Very early commit to us too. We had him as early as we now have Goodine. Most top guys aren't going that route and picking a school early.

I sort of don't want to add another player so we can have schollies and PT open for the top guys who commit in April just a couple months before they show up on campus. We don't get burgers boys that way we tend to get them early like MCW but no reason that can't change.

Very little is known about R Braswell

Part of Griff's recruiting was speaking with several other coaches (besides Robert's), the feedback - the kid is so athletic, can fly, jump over tall buildings and has a sweet JShot. In fact, one of the coaches compared his shot (not his game) to Kevin Durant. NOT HIS GAME OR POTENTIAL, but his stroke and footwork during his shot.
He has tremendous court vision and has the feel for the game.

He was in Germany until his SOPH year in HS, he missed (lucky for us) the years of early hype on social platforms

Great bounce back by Allen, impressive

Great, Great find, no risk, awesome bounce back by the staff, he will play this year, kid can shoot lights out and he is our 2nd best shot blocker day 1.

WE HAVE SHOOTERS and SCORERS THIS YEAR - - What a difference

and.....

Hopefully Gerry can close Osun

and......

Thank you to Ms Braswell for her service to our country! Deep Respect !!

Robert, just want to say thank you and congratulations on selecting Syracuse. Your perception is correct as we are a true family for life. Think you’re very talented and have a high ceiling and you have great coaches to get you there. Welcome brother. Let’s get to cutting down the nets next year

Since he is a state champion high jumper at 6’ 10” and he is 6’ 6” I wonder what his vertical is?

Watching his highlight tapes his jumping ability does not stand out amongst the others. Could he dunk jumping near the free throw line?

I'm really excited to see Braswell in Orange. From the limited amount of video I've seen he looks very athletic and coordinated, quick off the floor and has good court awareness. I also think he has pretty good shooting form from 3, which is unusual for a guy his size. The release is a little slow but he squares up well and has really good follow through. Hopefully he and Carey can form a potent pick and pop tandem up top.

Since he is a state champion high jumper at 6’ 10” and he is 6’ 6” I wonder what his vertical is?

Watching his highlight tapes his jumping ability does not stand out amongst the others. Could he dunk jumping near the free throw line?
He will be the first player to execute the Fosbury Flop dunk. No can defend.

it's not just the vert; he can get up so quickly that he can teabag himself!

Major focus this summer for Brissett is on finishing at the basket, should be major improvement
I think a lot of it is mental for him. He always tried avoiding contacting or maneuvering around it, instead of fighting through it. That's where he'll make his biggest leap if he's going to be a better finisher.

I believe he can dunk on 13 foot hoops, no? Maybe 14 foot hoops if the wind is right.

I believe he can dunk on 13 foot hoops, no? Maybe 14 foot hoops if the wind is right.
Seriously though. Was just wondering if he had an incredible vertical over 40 or something less and just great technique

Seriously though. Was just wondering if he had an incredible vertical over 40 or something less and just great technique
Without any real knowledge of this, I would imagine he has a very good vertical, but also his height, length and technique probably make him the great high jumper he is.

Really like this kid. He can do almost anything on the court and his stroke is just phenomenal. I really think he’s going to be something here.

Really like this kid. He can do almost anything on the court and his stroke is just phenomenal. I really think he’s going to be something here.
think he's a low risk/high potential signee, but i don't have high expectations. if he's a rotation player by his junior year, that will be a big win. anything more than that will be awesome but unexpected.

earlier in the thread i said on the low end bj johnson (gets frustrated with the careful development & bails after a couple seasons) and on the high end james southerland (key rotation piece on a 30+ win title contender). most likely something between that.

I have high expectations as well. His ceiling might be Ramona Flowers territory, but his current weight - 175 and 6'9 +/- - is a concern. Without much strength or bulk he'll get pushed around inside. What'll save him, IMO, is his leaping ability. AND he can shoot and dribble. So with that skill set I'm cautiously hopeful that this kid will be able to space the floor, give us some solid minutes and even start flashing in his first year.

Last edited:
I have high expectations as well. His ceiling might be Ramona Flowers, but it's his current weight - 175 and 6'9 +/- - that is a concern. Without much strength or bulk he'll get pushed around inside. What'll save him, IMO, is that his leaping ability (like OB's) is off the charts. He's a quick riser ... also a RB'ing skill. AND he can shoot and dribble. So I'm cautiously hopeful that this kid will give us some solid minutes and even start flashing in his first year.
Get him on a nutritious supervised diet and into an S & C program, and you address the problem.

Get him on a nutritious supervised diet and into an S & C program, and you address the problem.

Just like they did with Marek...oh wait whoops haha. Hopefully Marek comes back with 10 good lbs on him with the full offseason to train unlike Lydon's freshman10 that he gained.