Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Rave reviews...

bucket

So we have a legit 4-forward rotation of Brissett, Marek, Hughes, and Braswell to go along with Chukibe and Battle/Howard/Carey (and Buddy?)? So now we're looking at a 9.5-player rotation? I thought the limit was 8 ;)

So we have a legit 4-forward rotation of Brissett, Marek, Hughes, and Braswell to go along with Chukibe and Battle/Howard/Carey (and Buddy?)? So now we're looking at a 9.5-player rotation? I thought the limit was 8 ;)

2000 team went very deep - 9.5 players. and we went 9 deep only two years ago, until DuJuan Coleman hurt himself again and couldn't really finish up the season.

Ideally, all of them play until December, and then he figures out the rotation for ACC season. That's what he USED to do, anyway.

Shooting even better than anticipated, very aggressive . He will play this year

don't see him playing come acc time unless we move Dolezaj to the 5.

I still think Bras will play some ... assuming he can stretch the floor and jump out of the gym ... both of which have been reported. No doubt, he's thin and the guy ahead of him - Hughes - is is built and will have a green light on offense from JB. Hughes will be the first forward backup (with Tyus at SG). But you never know, there may be injuries or games when we need extra size to protect the rim. So not sure this is a complete wet blanket. Let's see how things play out. Great depth "problem" to have.

Last edited:
I still think Bras will play ... assuming he can stretch the floor and jump out of the gym ... both of which have been reported. No doubt, Hughes is is built and will have a green light on offense from JB ... reasons he will probably be the first forward backup. All the same, there may be games when we can't afford to give up rebounds or we need three front line players with enough size to protect the rim. So not sure this is a complete wet blanket. Let's see how things play out.

You know who else could stretch the floor, and jump out of the gym?
Southerland.

How much run did he get his first year?

Dirty South

I've heard that he's a helluva weakside shot blocker, on account of the third arm that protrudes from his left shoulder.

Keep it here.
So you’re saying that if he cracks the rotation we are going 8.5 deep?

Have heard he's very good, but will still likely need a year to bulk up. He's still the 4th forward in a system that plays 3.

Same. Here's what I've heard:
  • Staff is impressed with his skill / versatility -- he's a better player than the staff expected at this stage of his developmental curve. The staff thinks he is a diamond in the rough / darkhorse recruit who is substantially better than his "ranking," and that he has much more upside than they originally envisioned.
  • The biggest thing holding him back short-term is his physical development. He's legit 6-8 but only 175 pounds. Verbatim quote: "He makes Damone look buff."
  • Staff doesn't see him as a rotation guy this year -- let me explain. Skilled enough to contribute? Sure. Will he crack rotation? Same as Jake above -- he's 4th in a 3 player rotation. Unless Marek / OB / Hughes get injured, then he probably wouldn't play much beyond the non-conference. If an injury occurs -- he'll crack the lineup as a reserve. But at this size, it will be tough for him against ACC caliber competition.
  • The plan is to redshirt him, to maximize his development and give him a year to catch up in terms of physical maturity.
  • A good parallel to think of is BJ Johnson -- who had all the skill / potential of a great system fit, but who was so skinny coming in that it wasn't really a legit consideration to play him in the ACC. BJ should have redshirted, and that would have given him an advantage in subsequent years. Barring an injury, there's no need to rush a guy out there who just isn't physically ready to compete at this stage.
Again, not a knock on his skill / potential. He can shoot, he can pass, he can rebound and block shots. Hopefully, we won't need him to fill a "gap" in the rotation this year, and he can spend the year putting on a much-needed freshman 15. Long term -- sky's the limit. This year? We've got guys who can fill in at forward. Not that this is the plan, but the staff also knows they could slide a physically strong Battle to the back line if need be [with Carey / Frank / Buddy manning the backcourt] -- that would be a preferred option over Braswell at this point, for this year.

Last edited: