Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Dude, we just lost 2 guys. We have 3 open scholarships. It's not a choice. We could use BOTH. Badly. This would actually be a really complimentary fit. Golden is the 4/5 combo inside guy with some beef. Braswell is more like a spindly SF with rangy arms, like a Reggie Miller (G'Town, not Indiana) who seems kind of bouncy, but not that polished or smooth offensively.

That would give us cover in the front court, if we got both. Hell, we would STILL have room for another 7 foot project at center.

Personally, I don't think we need Quade Green as a transfer. I just don't see it. We've got a lot of guards already, and we're going to tie up ANOTHER scholarship on a transfer while we're trying to get back? I just don't see it.
I didn't say we shouldn't be expressing interest. In fact I said I haven't seen enough tape to render an opinion. I agree we need depth. What I said was I wouldn't take him at the expense of losing Golden or Quade (if he agrees to transfer). Big difference... merely opinion, that's all.

Dude, we just lost 2 guys. We have 3 open scholarships. It's not a choice. We could use BOTH. Badly. This would actually be a really complimentary fit. Golden is the 4/5 combo inside guy with some beef. Braswell is more like a spindly SF with rangy arms, like a Reggie Miller (G'Town, not Indiana) who seems kind of bouncy, but not that polished or smooth offensively.

That would give us cover in the front court, if we got both. Hell, we would STILL have room for another 7 foot project at center.

Personally, I don't think we need Quade Green as a transfer. I just don't see it. We've got a lot of guards already, and we're going to tie up ANOTHER scholarship on a transfer while we're trying to get back? I just don't see it.

To amplify your first point we have 13 and theoretically 14 scholarships that we can use next year. We are talking about extending offers to forwards that would provide depth on a very depleted depth chart. They aren't likely to be relied on heavily next year and will need to develop over their freshman and sophomore years to be big contributors down the road. This is exactly what 90% of the board was howling for all season when we had zero depth on the team. These guys will come in provide background depth and either develop or not. If they don't develop they will yield to the next round of recruits and either be stashed on the bench their entire careers ala a Matt Gorman or transfer ala any number of examples over the years.

On the second point, we really aren't that deep at guard. I personally believe that all of these guys that we are discussing are better than HW. Next season we lose FH, TB (if he returns) and based on other discussions JC sounds as though he may be in a one and done mindset. Quade is a high quality Philly tough guard. Sign us up every day of the week and twice on Sunday. He'll sit this season and use the last scholarship we give out 12, 13 or 14. Next season he will contribute. If his play doesn't allow him to crack the lineup (which seems ridiculous to me) he won't get minutes and either be satisfied with that situation or leave.

That is how we need to be managing the back half of the roster. We need players to fill in for unexpected losses through attrition whether it be early departure or injury and to have guys ready to go if we don't land the recruits that we want.

IM, we have plenty of scholarship space right now, as you indicated.
2018-19 (12 available):
7 likely returning players (Frank, HW, Hughes, Oshae, Marek, Sidibe, PC)
1 scholarship recruit (Carey)
Buddy B (not on scholarship, if space needed)

That's 8 accounted for with either 3 or 4 available.

If Tyus returns, great. If Golden pledges, great. That's still 1 or 2 open slots.

You wouldn't take a 5-star PG???? Give me Quade over a project forward, for sure. Adding experienced high end talent would be hard to turn down. College hoops is all about scoring and guard play, you make it work here.

Hit the 2019 class hard when you'll have another ship back with a ton of spacing opening up (Frank, likely Oshae, PC).

Braswell should be a backup option to Golden, IMO, if that falls through. If Tyus does leave, the push for Braswell could also intensify as the space will most certainly be there.

We have 12 scholarships for next year.
We have 10 guys with Battle.

Howard
Washington
Brissett
Dolezaj
Chukwu
Carey
Boeheim
Sidibe
Hughes
Battle
If we get Golden that is 11.
This guy would be 12
We could get Green and then just give JB a raise and not use a scholarship on Buddy.

This would be a full roster and an A+ offseason by the staff.

We have 12 scholarships for next year.
We have 10 guys with Battle.

Howard
Washington
Brissett
Dolezaj
Chukwu
Carey
Boeheim
Sidibe
Hughes
Battle
If we get Golden that is 11.
This guy would be 12
We could get Green and then just give JB a raise and not use a scholarship on Buddy.

This would be a full roster and an A+ offseason by the staff.
Completely agree. Not sure why there is an either/or discussion here. We have room to get some depth that can actually develope. Something that the scholarship restrictions have taken from us and has killed us the last few years. Next year we get that last scholarship back, Battle for sure if not this year, Chukwu, Howard, and maybe OB. Plenty for the 2019 class we want and have had some guys grow into rolls over the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Completely agree. Not sure why there is an either/or discussion here. We have room to get some depth that can actually develope. Something that the scholarship restrictions have taken from is and killed us the last few years. Next year we get that last scholarship back, Battle for sure if not this year, Chukwu, Howard, and maybe OB. Plenty for the 2019 class we want and have had some guys grow into rolls over the upcoming season.
Exactly getting more depth this year puts less pressure on a big class next year.
Golden and Braswell would get a year in the system and require one less HS recruit.
We would need just a Center and shooting forward. As Goodine is the guard and if we get Quade we don’t need another guard.

Braswell is a huge recruit as he would take a ton of pressure off 2019 recruiting.

Being him in! If he’s a good player there isn’t a reason not to do so. 2019 we are going to need players with experience. Getting Golden and Braswell after losing Bazley and Moyer would be amazing. Depth for this year and experience in 2019 for an expected larger freshman class. Don’t see them scaring away any big time recruit.

I love 53% from 3. Aren't we suppose to be in to see him today?

We have to run down the Bazeley thing before we go and try to woo Braswell??
There is no Brazley thing... at least as far as syracuse. He's picking which way he wants to turn pro... G league or Europe etc. This kid has zero interest in attending classes while playing basketball.

There is no Brazley thing... at least as far as syracuse. He's picking which way he wants to turn pro... G league or Europe etc. This kid has zero interest in attending classes while playing basketball.
He can go to N. Carolina and have his cake and eat it to.

With JB at Putnam visiting with Akok, who is seeing Braswell? AA or Griff?

This dude just keeps growing in height by the day!
Is he 6'10 now? That's great to see him at 6'11. 7 footers have huge potential. He'd be a very tall forward at 7'1. His three point shooting would be awesome as a 7'2 wing. Would 7'3 be the tallest Syracuse basketball player ever?

Last edited: