Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

If we can I think we should take both. No real reason not to.

I would be on board with that, however I believe just one is what JB and crew are thinking, I would be ok with both. I am sure JB will be consulting me on this very soon

We didn’t have many videos of Marek either

No, we did. It was him running the court and dunking on a bunch of European kids. He showed great quickness, relatively speaking, compared to his competition. I thought he was going to be better on the drive this past year, to be honest, but I think he may have been a bit intimidated by the size and athleticism of his competition. It wasn't until late in the year that he really started to assert himself. His shot looks the same as it did in the video clip - very flat.

I would be on board with that, however I believe just one is what JB and crew are thinking, I would be ok with both. I am sure JB will be consulting me on this very soon

Only taking one if they both want to come would be really, really stupid, in my opinion. We lost 2 forwards. We were not deep at any position last year.

We need 2 forwards to replace those who ain't here. Not that hard a decision. We have multiple available scholarships, If we don't take 2 forwards (whoever they may be), and someone gets injured, it will be just par for the course, and no lessons learned by the old man.

I think Golden might help us more next year.. i Think braswell has more upside.. it may not be our choice for both either, maybe if one comes the other doesnt want too

Only taking one if they both want to come would be really, really stupid, in my opinion. We lost 2 forwards. We were not deep at any position last year.

I can't see taking 2 players who are either 2-3* when there are 4 star guys out there that we have been recruiting for awhile, possibly coming the next year. Syracuse can do better than 2* and 3* rated players.

My bad, I had the reply to IthacaMatt and somehow it got included in Ithaca's post. My thought were pertaining to not taking 2 3* level forwards when we have better 4* options in the next class. One makes sense, I like the Virginia kid myself because he can put it on the floor and appears to not be just a catch and shoot type athlete. Love forwards that can slash to the basket and provide shooting from mid range and 3 point range. Having a "lunch pail" type of forward who can do the dirty work, especially on the defensive end would be a nice change...

My bad, I had the reply to IthacaMatt and somehow it got included in Ithaca's post. My thought were pertaining to not taking 2 3* level forwards when we have better 4* options in the next class. One makes sense, I like the Virginia kid myself because he can put it on the floor and appears to not be just a catch and shoot type athlete. Love forwards that can slash to the basket and provide shooting from mid range and 3 point range. Having a "lunch pail" type of forward who can do the dirty work, especially on the defensive end would be a nice change...

Better hope you land the 4* forward then or then you will always be chasing. Just like with Green. Pass on the PGs because we going to sign that 4*. Then the 4* signs some place else. Then left with no depth. Seems like we always talk about how loaded the next years recruiting class is and how we will just fill up then. Then when that recruiting class comes we are doing the same thing. Sitting with a low number of commits and looking to chase next years class. It is the same thing over and over and over again.

I am not talking about just adding someone to add someone. If they staff thinks both players are ACC talent level players then sign them both.

I don't get what this board is seeing in this kid. You don't grab players just to grab them. They have to be able to contribute now and during the length of their scholarship.

We always run into problems like that. When we didn't take any other players because we were going to get Green. If the staff thinks Braswell is a ACC type player they should take him. There still should be 3-4 ships for next year also that is how bad we are struggling with depth.

Those situations aren't that analogous, to be honest. With Green, we were passing up on highly rated players in the SAME class to single-mindedly pursue him.

In this situation, we might be sacrificing Whitney, or Guerrier, or Achiwura -- higher rated players from the following class.

I have nothing against Braswell -- I would love to bring him in. But I believe that Golden is far better suited to helping next year's team. Not sure that Braswell would offer the same ability to contribute year 1. But if we don't land Golden, then we'd better land this kid. Can't go into next year with two forwards.

Last edited:
Those situations aren't that analogous, to be honest. With Green, we were passing up on highly rated players in the SAME class to single-mindedly pursue him.

In this situation, we might be sacrificing Whitney, or Guerrier, or Achiwura -- higher rated players.

I have nothing against Braswell -- I would love to bring him in. But I believe that Green is far better suited to helping next year's team. Not sure that Braswell would offer the same ability to contribute year 1. But if we don't land Green, then we'd better land this kid. Can't go into next year with two forwards.
Golden?

We need 2 forwards to replace those who ain't here. Not that hard a decision. We have multiple available scholarships, If we don't take 2 forwards (whoever they may be), and someone gets injured, it will be just par for the course, and no lessons learned by the old man.

agree. let's hope JB agrees and let's hope both kids want to commit here.

In this situation, we might be sacrificing Whitney, or Guerrier, or Achiwura -- higher rated players from the following class.

I have nothing against Braswell -- I would love to bring him in. But I believe that Golden is far better suited to helping next year's team. Not sure that Braswell would offer the same ability to contribute year 1. But if we don't land Golden, then we'd better land this kid. Can't go into next year with two forwards.

Might be is always a key words. Might be. Or we could be left with nothing again. Like I said they shouldn't add Braswell if they dont think he can play in the ACC. I am not for just adding bodies to add them. So my thinking is if the staff evaluates this kid and says he in an ACC type player and could help the team in the future then I would take that over a "MAYBE" in the future. There will always be another "MAYBE" down the line,

Might be is always a key words. Might be. Or we could be left with nothing again. Like I said they shouldn't add Braswell if they dont think he can play in the ACC. I am not for just adding bodies to add them. So my thinking is if the staff evaluates this kid and says he in an ACC type player and could help the team in the future then I would take that over a "MAYBE" in the future. There will always be another "MAYBE" down the line,

You said earlier that there was no reason not to add him. In actuality, there are many potential reasons why the staff might not want to add him.

Your thinking is just another "MAYBE." He might be an ACC type player, then again maybe he isn't. I'll trust the staff. Kid looks like he has some tools, but I'd rather have Whitney or Gurrier, or both. We need a kid who can contribute next year to bolster forward depth, not a project who might not be ready for a year or two.

For the record, I wouldn't mind seeing us take a flyer on this kid, but I'll understand if we pass -- and recognize that there are numerous reasons why the staff might choose to do so.

Last edited:
I think he has high upside and is ACC caliber . 6’ 10” that is athletic who can play on the wings and block shots (and disrupt passing lanes )? This is a no brainer.

I think he has high upside and is ACC caliber . 6’ 10” that is athletic who can play on the wings and block shots (and disrupt passing lanes )? This is a no brainer.

The more I watch Braswell on tape, the more trouble I have understanding why there are not more offers/interest in this kid. There has to be more to this story. This kid is long and multi-skilled and can shoot. I like Golden too. Given the choice, I would roll the dice on Braswell, IF the other stuff checks out.

The more I watch Braswell on tape, the more trouble I have understanding why there are not more offers/interest in this kid. There has to be more to this story. This kid is long and multi-skilled and can shoot. I like Golden too. Given the choice, I would roll the dice on Braswell, IF the other stuff checks out.
Questions are:
1) what was the caliber of the competition he played against? They looked like midgets in the videos.
2) what is his stamina and overall strength like due to his size and weight (6'9", 190)
3) Did he qualify academically?
4) What type of game did his team play? Was it geared to show his strengths or ??
5) While he is definitely an athlete (jumper), are his mental makeup and physical abilities geared for the college game?

Questions are:
1) what was the caliber of the competition he played against? They looked like midgets in the videos.
2) what is his stamina and overall strength like due to his size and weight (6'9", 190)
4) What type of game did his team play? Was it geared to show his strengths or ??
5) While he is definitely an athlete (jumper), are his mental makeup and physical abilities geared for the college game?

Can’t a lot of those questions be asked of many recruits?

Questions are:

I hear you, all good questions.

This late in the game, you have to look at traits. 6-9, with 7 foot wing span, state high jump leader, can shoot from 3 (even if guarded by "midgets") 3rd highest ranked HS player in SC on 2-4-7 (Zion Williamson is 1st).