Class of 2025 - SF Shon Abaev (FL) Offered | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SF Shon Abaev (FL) Offered

If we are going to pay up and it makes sense for Donnie to stay two years then that’s different but that’s major speculation too.

If Donnie's not ready to go pro, but let's say he does 12 points and 5 rebounds, with all the talent around him at SU, a featured role the next year, and pretty good prospects, do you leave for just a bag? Do you go to Auburn or Alabama or Texas A&M where you have to start all over?

As long as we are "in the game" money-wise, I really like what Fran said on that Inside the Orange series on the ACC Network - "You're not going to hold me hostage on NIL. This program is about more than that. We will be competitive, but it's up to you to see the value, and take advantage of the opportunity we will put in front of you."

He's talking LIFE, just like one of our grads said to Quadir Copeland (Devo, I think). "Dude, you're leaving the family." That's not talk. Cuse fans will help you in your career, and take you forward in life, if you stay long enough to become part of the family. No one will ever discredit Joe Girard, Jesse Edwards or Maliq Brown for leaving.

That's fine. They are part of the family. They did their time and made some memories for us here. Copeland had one season and then was gone. Buh-bye.

Isn't Saddiq White only 6-8 200? And isn't Donnie Freeman a bit bigger than that now? (Yes, a year ago he was the same size ...)

Most one-and-done's are really two-and-done's, when you get down to it, unless they are Top 10 players coming out of HS.

Donnie's probably 210-215 by now, and his upper body is getting jacked.

White seems to me to have the size of a 3 coming in, and we were looking at 2 other three's (Jemison and Abaev) and Anthony at the 2G.

That's too many similar players, IMO.

If Bell doesn't go pro, he has one more year of eligibility after this upcoming year. (Do you honestly see anybody drafting him right now, even with a season where he shoots 47% again?)

We will still have Petar Majstorovic as a piece at the 4/5, and he will only be a sophomore. So that's some minutes at the 4. What if Freeman is a two-and-done?

Chance Westry will only be a junior next year and is not likely to be fully recovered by this season, so figure on him for another year.

Moore will only be a sophomore and Starling will still have another year of eligibility.

We don't need too many more wings, IMO. We need to replace a couple big men, and add a PG.

Jemison doesn't have Cuse in his final 3.

Jemison doesn't have Cuse in his final 3.

Yes, I know, but my point was that we were chasing about 3 of the same kind of player, and a Top 15 guy at essentially the same position already committed a couple months ago.

Are we really expecting to stockpile highly ranked recruits at the same position? Because the recruits are paying attention to who is already on your roster.

Sadiq is here as a 4. He doesn't shoot it well enough to play the 3. His game is 15 feet and in at this point.

If we are going to pay up and it makes sense for Donnie to stay two years then that’s different but that’s major speculation too.

That's why they play the games. How many one-and-done's took 2 or even 3 years to get drafted?
I can think of a lot of them. After that, it comes down to fit. Many transfers (even in the portal era) don't catch fire with their new team.

Sadiq is here as a 4. He doesn't shoot it well enough to play the 3. His game is 15 feet and in at this point.

So was Jerami Grant.

And so was Donnie Freeman, until he started hitting the 3s consistently.

If Donnie's not ready to go pro, but let's say he does 12 points and 5 rebounds, with all the talent around him at SU, a featured role the next year, and pretty good prospects, do you leave for just a bag? Do you go to Auburn or Alabama or Texas A&M where you have to start all over?

As long as we are "in the game" money-wise, I really like what Fran said on that Inside the Orange series on the ACC Network - "You're not going to hold me hostage on NIL. This program is about more than that. We will be competitive, but it's up to you to see the value, and take advantage of the opportunity we will put in front of you."

He's talking LIFE, just like one of our grads said to Quadir Copeland (Devo, I think). "Dude, you're leaving the family." That's not talk. Cuse fans will help you in your career, and take you forward in life, if you stay long enough to become part of the family. No one will ever discredit Joe Girard, Jesse Edwards or Maliq Brown for leaving.

That's fine. They are part of the family. They did their time and made some memories for us here. Copeland had one season and then was gone. Buh-bye.
I get your overall point but Maliq and Cope were in the same class. Just not sure I extend the same graciousness to him that I would the other two.

I get your overall point but Maliq and Cope were in the same class. Just not sure I extend the same graciousness to him that I would the other two.

Well, they both stayed for two years, too, right? All I'm saying is that not every one and done is actually draftable after their freshman year. In fact, other than the Top 10, I would say that most frosh are not draftable. They need another year to mature.

He went to a conference rival after only two years. I thank him for his time here and I hope he gets passed by on Dukes depth chart and sees he erred. As for Cope, I loved him and I could see a Scoop like progression if he stayed here.

Could he play the 3 if we had alongside him an athletic 4 man w/ an outside shot? Hard to find I know.. but I'd like that kind of lineup for defense / rebounding

I am a little worried about the portal with no covid seniors. Going to be even more of a bloodbath for transfer recruits with a reduction of talent pool.

Honestly it probably won’t look that different. Just will push timelines up to leave smaller schools for some kids. Essentially guys like Jyare and Carlos( even though Jyare is technically 5th year because of the redshirt season at Providence but still will only play 4).

I am a little worried about the portal with no covid seniors. Going to be even more of a bloodbath for transfer recruits with a reduction of talent pool.
This is why it was so important to bring in a GM asap - having a dedicated role to 'prepare' for the portal is so crucial if the staff goes that route with roster development going forward.

You bring up a good point; it's easy to say 'we'll go portal' when dozens of teams have the same plan, and knowingly larger war chests.

He went to a conference rival after only two years. I thank him for his time here and I hope he gets passed by on Dukes depth chart and sees he erred. As for Cope, I loved him and I could see a Scoop like progression if he stayed here.
Maliq Brown is going to be the poster child for "Never Transfer to Duke."

He was going to be a centerpiece here, was developing into a star here. At Duke, he's going to get half as many minutes to start the year, and as his highly rated teammates acclimate, Brown is going to suffer a lot of DNPs late in the season.

He's destroyed his career.

He's not part of the Syracuse family if he thinks he can be in the Duke brotherhood.

Maybe if he transfers back after his year on the bench.

Maliq Brown is going to be the poster child for "Never Transfer to Duke."

He was going to be a centerpiece here, was developing into a star here. At Duke, he's going to get half as many minutes to start the year, and as his highly rated teammates acclimate, Brown is going to suffer a lot of DNPs late in the season.

He's destroyed his career.

He's not part of the Syracuse family if he thinks he can be in the Duke brotherhood.

Maybe if he transfers back after his year on the bench.

This is certainly a possibility but we just don’t know enough, even if it’s a reasonable potential outcome.

Scheyer really has had two other transfers similar to Maliq or Gillis and that was Theo John and Ryan Young( both brought in under K). Young played a bigger role than John and didn’t take as much of a step down in his role.
John took on a smaller role after being an 8/5 guy for Marquette.

With the lack of impact portal guys and reliance on freshmen and returning guys since the portal era began, it’s hard to say how things will play out with Duke bringing in 3 transfers that have been big impact guys at their previous programs.

That’s why Red is still focusing strongly on freshman recruiting.

This is certainly a possibility but we just don’t know enough, even if it’s a reasonable potential outcome.

Scheyer really has had two other transfers similar to Maliq or Gillis and that was Theo John and Ryan Young( both brought in under K). Young played a bigger role than John and didn’t take as much of a step down in his role.
John took on a smaller role after being an 8/5 guy for Marquette.

With the lack of impact portal guys and reliance on freshmen and returning guys since the portal era began, it’s hard to say how things will play out with Duke bringing in 3 transfers that have been big impact guys at their previous programs.
I think Maliq will get ample minutes being that he defends well, and with a legitimate center, he won't have to play out of position. He passes the ball well and isn't a clog or a negative presence offensively. I will miss him on our team but to be honest, he should do very well with the enemy.

I think Maliq will get ample minutes being that he defends well, and with a legitimate center, he won't have to play out of position. He passes the ball well and isn't a clog or a negative presence offensively. I will miss him on our team but to be honest, he should do very well with the enemy.
This all makes sense until you look at their roster.

Did the staff get news on Abaev that led us to Red accepting a commitment from a much lower rated SF?

Or is it thought that they can play together, or Abaev is so much better that he won't be impacted by a lower rated player at the same position?

Edit: crossposted from Womack thread.

I don’t think the ship has sailed, but the kid LOVES the recruiting process (clearly from how many visits he has taken). Dash mentioned it in another thread- the kid was bout ready to commit and they had full court press on and he didn’t commit. Cuse isn’t out of it but there’s a lot of people involved now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom