Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 58 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

What does that mean? Nike designed and owns that script 'logo' treatment? Why couldn't we do something similar? A fontographer could 'redraw' it differently but similar enough that fans wouldn't even recognize (or care about) the difference.

And if Nike does own it, why wouldn't they want to make money by marketing+selling it?

How would they own our name, even if it's with their design?
SU has a contract with Nike. I don't know who has what leverage as to what uniforms the Orange will wear. I do know that the basketball team wore those orange tops and blue shorts vs BC. I doubt anyone on the SU bench was happy about that.

So... I just spent a few minutes learning the Australian tax code and employer based retirement plan rules. Not that anybody cares. Without any tax mitigation, Westry would take home $550k after taxes. He can put $137500 into a retirement account with deferred taxes (Australia has a $27500 limit, but lifetime exemptions of $330k over three years.) Which means he can take home ~$475k his first year there. If he spends $175k, he can pay cash to attend Syracuse and still have a very healthy retirement account before most kids get their first non barista job.

It's hard for me to tell anybody they shouldn't go and earn a million dollars if they can. A good salary in Syracuse is $100,000. He could make more money by the time he's 19 years old than your average doctor earns by the time he's 30. Why go to college if you have that offer on the table? This is also why the NIL problem needs to get resolved quickly, or the NCAA will become defunct as a basketball money maker in a decade.

So... I just spent a few minutes learning the Australian tax code and employer based retirement plan rules. Not that anybody cares. Without any tax mitigation, Westry would take home $550k after taxes. He can put $137500 into a retirement account with deferred taxes (Australia has a $27500 limit, but lifetime exemptions of $330k over three years.) Which means he can take home ~$475k his first year there. If he spends $175k, he can pay cash to attend Syracuse and still have a very healthy retirement account before most kids get their first non barista job.

It's hard for me to tell anybody they shouldn't go and earn a million dollars if they can. A good salary in Syracuse is $100,000. He could make more money by the time he's 19 years old than your average doctor earns by the time he's 30. Why go to college if you have that offer on the table? This is also why the NIL problem needs to get resolved quickly, or the NCAA will become defunct as a basketball money maker in a decade.
wow, this is dedication

The article speaks with Westry’s father.

Visiting LSU and Coach Wade next. Oh oh here come the suitcases. Sounds like his father is controlling the process (and decision) and this is going to be a prolonged process into the fall. Don't like the vibes.

Visiting LSU and Coach Wade next. Oh oh here come the suitcases. Sounds like his father is controlling the process (and decision) and this is going to be a prolonged process into the fall. Don't like the vibes.
I want this kid too, but honestly if that NBL offer is legit you’d have to bet on him taking it. Lamelo showed that that route is viable, & I’m not saying Chance is LaMelo but at the very least he walks away a year later w/ a million bucks.

We're gonna get invaded and taken over by Australia?? OK, that's a new one! :p

No, they don't have any guns, mate. Government took 'em all away and threw 'em on the barbie.

He’s been controlling the process since day 1. Chance has wanted to be cuse since this all started but family and camp won’t let him make his own decision

He’s been controlling the process since day 1. Chance has wanted to be cuse since this all started but family and camp won’t let him make his own decision
I hardly think it’s a coincidence that an overseas contract is being floated just before an LSU visit. I think the family is using this for leverage to get a stronger ass offer from Will Wade.

I know I'm a bit biased as a Cuse fan but I think the point still remains. What a shame trying to cash in on your child like that and controlling where they go to college because of your own personal wants

I know I'm a bit biased as a Cuse fan but I think the point still remains. What a shame trying to cash in on your child like that and controlling where they go to college because of your own personal wants
This is very tricky stuff. My nephew is a very talented dancer/musician who had a few scholarship offers from good universities. But my sister and BIL pushed him to take a full ride at Julliard while in HS. The kid fought it tooth and nail, didn’t wanna leave his friends, etc. but they pushed, he went, and years later will tell you it’s the best decision he ever made.
Chance is a basketball savant & if schools are lining up for his services, and his peeps see a bigger picture, who says they’re not right in pushing him in that direction?
How many childhoods have been sacrificed for decisions that benefited a family, vs an individual?
I’m not gonna judge his father for wanting to maximize his son’s options. Lavar Ball pushed his kids and they’re all getting paid to play, with the youngest in line to be a major nba talent for years to come. Ask Serena or Venus if they’d do it over again, just so they could go to the school of their choice. It’s complicated.

This is very tricky stuff. My nephew is a very talented dancer/musician who had a few scholarship offers from good universities. But my sister and BIL pushed him to take a full ride at Julliard while in HS. The kid fought it tooth and nail, didn’t wanna leave his friends, etc. but they pushed, he went, and years later will tell you it’s the best decision he ever made.
Chance is a basketball savant & if schools are lining up for his services, and his peeps see a bigger picture, who says they’re not right in pushing him in that direct. How many childhoods have been sacrificed for decisions that benefited a family, vs an individual?
I’m not gonna judge his father for wanting to maximize his son’s options. Lavar Ball pushed his kids and they’re all getting paid to play, with the youngest in line to be a major nba talent for years to come. Ask Serena or Venus if they’d do it over again, just so they could go to the school of heir choice. It’s complicated.
That's certainly a great point about the other side and I agree for sure to a degree, because something about this doesn't feel like it's what's best for Chance. Think we can agree there's a difference between wanting to go to Syracuse and telling him no because you don't want him to go there and going from public High school to private school that focuses on your talent specifically. I feel at the end of the day, you guide your children (especially at this age), not force them and it feels this recruitment is forced, with respect to a degree

Last edited: