Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 62 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

6-6 at the top of the zone, crazy creative, maybe a little wild, but he would be unbeatable with Taylor at the top of the zone.
I think between Copeland, Taylor or JJ (or Chance) up top, throw in some Lands, the ball would rarely get to the paint/post. Now imagine if one of them picked up and hounded the lead guard full court, then dropped into rotation with the other guard moving over to pick up the lead guard. I would use Copeland and JJ (or Chance) for that with Taylor/Lands rotating over. Can you imagine how worn down team's guards would be in second half?

Oh yeah, throw in a few half court traps on them now and then too.

I think between Copeland, Taylor or JJ (or Chance) up top, throw in some Lands, the ball would rarely get to the paint/post. Now imagine if one of them picked up and hounded the lead guard full court, then dropped into rotation with the other guard moving over to pick up the lead guard. I would use Copeland and JJ (or Chance) for that with Taylor/Lands rotating over. Can you imagine how worn down team's guards would be in second half?

Oh yeah, throw in a few half court traps on them now and then too.
With a backcourt of JGIII, Symir, Taylor, Copeland and Starling, we could most definitely use pressure and press more. I hope that is the message to JJ.

6-6 at the top of the zone, crazy creative, maybe a little wild, but he would be unbeatable with Taylor at the top of the zone.
In today's game it's as important if not more so to be long/tall at the top of the zone as the wings.

In today's game it's as important if not more so to be long/tall at the top of the zone as the wings.

But they need more lateral quickness at the top. You can't just throw forwards up top unless they can really move side to side.

Also... good footspeed, active movement and active hands.
I’ve always felt that the number one thing that separates a great zone defender from a good zone defender is instincts. The best zone defenders see the traps before they happen and jump on them as soon as they present themselves. Great zone defenders also understand the vision that a trapped player has and the likely “outs” he may try to utilize. It’s really fun to watch when the 5 guys on the court have the size, athleticism, skill and intelligence to execute the zone to make it a weapon.

I’ve always felt that the number one thing that separates a great zone defender from a good zone defender is instincts. The best zone defenders see the traps before they happen and jump on them as soon as they present themselves. Great zone defenders also understand the vision that a trapped player has and the likely “outs” he may try to utilize. It’s really fun to watch when the 5 guys on the court have the size, athleticism, skill and intelligence to execute the zone to make it a weapon.
I have also always thought that when we had great zone teams, our 3 has really good size and is excellent on the boards. And for my pal, Orange79, I wonder if Chance can be that?

That's why the 2003 team was so good, outside of Gerry we had size and quickness. Gerry worked hard, Billy had good hands, Pace caused problems. Duany at 6-6, then the 4 guys in the frontcourt hammered you.

After a season watching Andy Rautins playing zone, you could see when he was going to get a steal from the weakside before the trap even formed. If we have that defense again with the offense our guys can bring, we'll be title favorites.

It's beautiful to watch, zone looks like it alive.

I would agree with what you said about great defenders and instincts 100%. I would add, along with instincts... Great defenders do not let the offensive player dictate... They attack what the offensive player does (like you said), force them where they want them to go, give them what they don't want, disrupt their vision, make them have to mentally focus on them and beating their D. That mindset, aggressiveness and with the physical tools, really wears on a most offensive players.

I have also always thought that when we had great zone teams, our 3 has really good size and is excellent on the boards. And for my pal, Orange79, I wonder if Chance can be that?
Yep, our tall, long and athletic 3s get to play clean up from bad passes and shots.

Copeland and JJ.. Would love Chance as well but I think the other two are more important. It's seems like Chance has a lot more stuff going on regarding his future, and that might be where his head is at if he comes here. I see both Copeland as JJ being here more than one year, so they may focus on their game if they come.
Honest question - if Copeland commits, why would JJ want to commit with a pg and two sg already committed?

Honest question - if Copeland commits, why would JJ want to commit with a pg and two sg already committed?

He wouldn’t.

unless… he was so sure of his abilities, that he was confident he’d beat out QC for PT.

But - I doubt that’s what happens.

We’re gonna get one of: Quadir, JJ, Chance.

And it’ll come down to who verbals first.
(my $ is on Quadir)

He wouldn’t.

unless… he was so sure of his abilities, that he was confident he’d beat out QC for PT.

But - I doubt that’s what happens.

We’re gonna get one of: Quadir, JJ, Chance.

And it’ll come down to who verbals first.
(my $ is on Quadir)
I can see all three of them ranked in the top 30 a year from now.

I’m not completely sold on us getting two of three of Q/JJ/Chance either, but I also don’t think Kamari is going to play much SG here at all, leaving the potential open for another guard.

To me with his size and athleticism, Kamari looks like a forward in our system, but also at the next level. So I know I guess he sees himself as a 2 and maybe the staff told him he could play some 2 here, but as soon as he steps foot on campus I don’t see him playing anywhere but on the back side of the zone, unless they’re injuries to the guards.

I’m not completely sold on us getting two of three of Q/JJ/Chance either, but I also don’t think Kamari is going to play much SG here at all, leaving the potential open for another guard.

To me with his size and athleticism, Kamari looks like a forward in our system, but also at the next level. So I know I guess he sees himself as a 2 and maybe the staff told him he could play some 2 here, but as soon as he steps foot on campus I don’t see him playing anywhere but on the back side of the zone, unless they’re injuries to the guards.

I’m sure he’s been sold on the Eli role, where he plays a 3 on D, but is a playmaker and point-forward on O.

I'm not getting to caught up wit the pg/sg labels in this situation because of the size and skill sets of JJ, Copeland and Taylor, I think you can call it a G/G/G/F/C... lineup if you like, it's only on paper. I see Cope as a 1 that can play 2 (maybe some defensive 3) and the same with JJ (Maybe some 3 in a small ball lineup). I see Taylor as a 2 that can play 3, Lands a 3 that can play 2 (although with all the other height you could let him move to the 4 in a small ball lineup).

I don't know if Copeland would play the 1 ahead of JJ to be honest, nor Taylor ahead of him at 2 (some hella competition right there), but JJ will play... he's a swiss army knife and will make others play better when he's in, wherever he's at.

I think minutes will not be as plentiful year 1 for one or all of them, but year 2 your talking about a stud guard rotation with a Copeland, JJ and Taylor. Other then small nuances in there games, you literally lose nothing with whomever is in.

We talk a lot about the Dion and MCW roles, one of these guys will have a legitimate shot of using those roles as models.

I could be wrong on all of this though...

I’m sure he’s been sold on the Eli role, where he plays a 3 on D, but is a playmaker and point-forward on O.

Agree, this seems ideal for Kamari, and for SU. I think that role actually suits Taylor pretty well as well. The two of them should be pretty interchangeable at the 2/3 for us. Excited to have the wings sorted. Now we need that guard and a multi-talented forward / big to make this a special class.

Westry is the biggest talent (right now). But Copeland may be the better fit. He seems like he would adopt better to a time sharing situation with JGIII during his freshman year and continue to develop before starting the next season. Someone rated as high as Westry likely expects to start and be one and done.

I think the recent visits one after another may be due to the portal and the coaches want things to shape up sooner rather than later.

Perhaps there is some sort of a soft deadline communicated to the recruits, that we would like the class of 2020 to come together by this date. The portal deadline is early July, they want to have all the pieces soon, as there may be players in the portal they are looking at who may want a 2+ year commitment that may affect how many spots they have for 2022?

I'm not getting to caught up wit the pg/sg labels in this situation because of the size and skill sets of JJ, Copeland and Taylor, I think you can call it a G/G/G/F/C... lineup if you like, it's only on paper. I see Cope as a 1 that can play 2 (maybe some defensive 3) and the same with JJ (Maybe some 3 in a small ball lineup). I see Taylor as a 2 that can play 3, Lands a 3 that can play 2 (although with all the other height you could let him move to the 4 in a small ball lineup).

I don't know if Copeland would play the 1 ahead of JJ to be honest, nor Taylor ahead of him at 2 (some hella competition right there), but JJ will play... he's a swiss army knife and will make others play better when he's in, wherever he's at.

I think minutes will not be as plentiful year 1 for one or all of them, but year 2 your talking about a stud guard rotation with a Copeland, JJ and Taylor. Other then small nuances in there games, you literally lose nothing with whomever is in.

We talk a lot about the Dion and MCW roles, one of these guys will have a legitimate shot of using those roles as models.

I could be wrong on all of this though...
See Billy, Pace, McNeil off the 2003 team lots of minutes in different situations. That game at Georgetown, they won in OT because even with Sweeney, they bullied Georgetown on the boards. Billy got a number of rebounds in that game.

Anyone else concerned that Chance didn’t post an Insta with a #notcomitted after his LSU visit?