Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Putnam Science head coach Tom Espinosa said Ayala has received both the grades and test scores to be eligible next season.

Wow, lots of fascinating stuff in that article. It's probably the most indepth I've heard from a player about their thought process and concerns. Much of it is contradictory and that is not a complete surprise for a young kid making such a big decision with so many variables.

Or next...

Why do you say that? I didn't get that in any way shape or form. I know you lay awake at night in fear of Oregon, but he clearly articulated that he wasn't all that interested in Johnny-come-lately schools. He also said GMac has been his boy for over 3 years and calls him every day. I know you probably think that just means Gerry messed up his contact lists in his phone and actually has Ayala's number listed under "OTB" but even if that's the case, he at least has to talk to him each day to say "wrong number."

If he stays in 18 best believe hell become priorities for Zona, Kansas, Lville maybe even UK and as he stated that means a lot to him

Why do you say that? I didn't get that in any way shape or form. I know you lay awake at night in fear of Oregon, but he clearly articulated that he wasn't all that interested in Johnny-come-lately schools. He also said GMac has been his boy for over 3 years and calls him every day. I know you probably think that just means Gerry messed up his contact lists in his phone and actually has Ayala's number listed under "OTB" but even if that's the case, he at least has to talk to him each day to say "wrong number."

I know I'm being pessimistic but that NIT part really resonated with me. The GMac part is really positive but if he ends up classifying in 2018 and Syracuse goes to the NIT again (highly probable) then I think it would be a slim chance Ayala comes here.

I know I'm being pessimistic but that NIT part really resonated with me. The GMac part is really positive but if he ends up classifying in 2018 and Syracuse goes to the NIT again (highly probable) then I think it would be a slim chance Ayala comes here.

I get it, but one of the years he is talking about was a ban so that is easy to dismiss. Last year was a down year, no doubt about it, but there is no way a kid could look at Syracuse and not see tremendous value that strongly outweighs missing the NCAA Tourney last year.

Putnam Science head coach Tom Espinosa said Ayala has received both the grades and test scores to be eligible next season.
603ee7c7f7b5248e00e6e40e9cba27e4.gif

Biggest wory that stuck out to me was the uncertainty around JB's tenure. Tough to tell a kid a guy will still be your coach and fully engaged when he's 75-76 years old. And that number is only going to get higher with each recruiting class that goes by. Nothing personal against JB it's just life. People get older and age regardless of profession let alone one as demanding as being a head coach for a program like Syracuse basketball.

I know he said that his conversation with JB stays between those two but it couldn't have been too comforting if he still sounds pretty concerned about it. Huge low hanging fruit for coaches to use when recruiting against us.

Yeah the kid seemed honest but hard to get a clear read one way or the other. Hope this doesn't turn into Quade where he explodes over the summer and gets everyone all over him.

I would assume JB/GMac would be very candid with him - he'd be the guy in year 2. Battle will be gone, who knows about Frank, H.Washington is more of a bench piece. He'd get major minutes at the 2 in his 2nd year and would still get 20+ mpg this year.

Biggest wory that stuck out to me was the uncertainty around JB's tenure. Tough to tell a kid a guy will still be your coach and fully engaged when he's 75-76 years old. And that number is only going to get higher with each recruiting class that goes by. Nothing personal against JB it's just life. People get older and age regardless of profession let alone one as demanding as being a head coach for a program like Syracuse basketball.

I know he said that his conversation with JB stays between those two but it couldn't have been too comforting if he still sounds pretty concerned about it. Huge low hangin fruit for coaches to use when recruiting against us.

JB probably gave him his usual line about having always coached year-to-year.

If he stays in 18 best believe hell become priorities for Zona, Kansas, Lville maybe even UK and as he stated that means a lot to him

If he stays in 2018 we will have other options. It's a two way street. We need him in 2017 and he needs us if he wants to be a significant contributor in 2017.

If he comes to Cuse in 2017 we will then proceed to fill other priorities in the 2018 class.

Trust the Process

I know he said that his conversation with JB stays between those two but it couldn't have been too comforting if he still sounds pretty concerned about it. Huge low hangin fruit for coaches to use when recruiting against us.
I think when you're looking to decide on a school, you have to look at every single factor, positive and negative.

Coaches get fired every year. And to be honest, if JB leaves after Ayala's sophomore year, he could transfer without sitting out a year most likely.

If he stays in 2018 we will have other options. It's a two way street. We need him in 2017 and he needs us if he wants to be a significant contributor in 2017.

If he comes to Cuse in 2017 we will then proceed to fill other priorities in the 2018 class.

Trust the Process

Agreed...just means we would have to go the grad transfer route again this year

Trust the Process
Don't see the downside in 2017 for him = unless he doesn't think he's physically ready.

Our roster is a tournament team. Add in Ayala and Tucker and it is a no doubt tournament team. We aren't BC.

Agreed...just means we would have to go the grad transfer route again this year
Or if JB was truthful about his opinon on Frank...he might be comfortable with Battle, Frank and Washington. Which would be frightening

Or next...

The point about wanting to be physically ready makes sense. The statement about wanting to be a high priority and enjoying the recruitment process of teams competing for him is also understandable. He also said he holds no grudge against Oregon for their late entry. I believe that if he reclassified he's ours. I agree with your point that if he doesn't, the elite recruiters will be all over him next year. I'm getting to the point where I just want guys that really want to be here i e. Moyer Thompson Washington Sidbe Oshae Battle and who ever else bleeds Orange. If we end up NIT bound so be it but at least we go down as a family. Tired of getting played by recruits

The point about wanting to be physically ready makes sense. The statement about wanting to be a high priority and enjoying the recruitment process of teams competing for him is also understandable. He also said he holds no grudge against Oregon for their late entry. I believe that if he reclassified he's ours. I agree with your point that if he doesn't, the elite recruiters will be all over him next year. I'm getting to the point where I just want guys that really want to be here i e. Moyer Thompson Washington Sidbe Oshae Battle and who ever else bleeds Orange. If we end up NIT bound so be it but at least we go down as a family. Tired of getting played by recruits
Recruits owe us nothing. If he wants to sit around and wait for a UK offer, he has every right.

I think when you're looking to decide on a school, you have to look at every single factor, positive and negative.

Coaches get fired every year. And to be honest, if JB leaves after Ayala's sophomore year, he could transfer without sitting out a year most likely.

Agree completely that you have to look at all the factors. I think in that evaluation though there will be options where the coaching situation is more stable which can be a big factor in the decision.

And yea he could transfer but ideally I think the preferable approach would be that when he commits to a program it's going to be a situation where he feels it's a full commitment not one where he has an eye on the door just in case.

Need to stop putting this kid on a pedestal. I don't see the respect we deserve coming from his end. NIT comments are ridiculous. He has a chance to play for the 2nd winningest coach EVER at one of the top 7-8 programs of all time. Returning to putnam isn't going to develop him like playing in the acc and practicing against tyus battle everyday.

Need to stop putting this kid on a pedestal. I don't see the respect we deserve coming from his end. NIT comments are ridiculous. He has a chance to play for the 2nd winningest coach EVER at one of the top 7-8 programs of all time. Returning to putnam isn't going to develop him like playing in the acc and practicing against tyus battle everyday.
We've missed the NCAA's twice in the last 3 years and we were lucky to get in last year. He wants to get into the NCAA Tournament, why is that not valid?

You're right returning to PSA won't develop him like 'Cuse would in 2017. But if he's more focused on Kansas, UK, etc who want him for 2018, he would wait.

We've missed the NCAA's twice in the last 3 years and we were lucky to get in last year. He wants to get into the NCAA Tournament, why is that not valid?

You're right returning to PSA won't develop him like 'Cuse would in 2017. But if he's more focused on Kansas, UK, etc who want him for 2018, he would wait.

Because it seems some fans are unable to understand that each kid should be looking after thier own best interest and not the team they root for's best interest.

Trust the Process

I agree with this...i think he's a major priority for us right now for this class...if he doesn't come in 17 then it probably doesn't matter if we get him in 18 or not..i know that sounds kind of crappy but there is too much talent in the 18 class and our immediate need for him is this year. I would like to think if he does reclass that he's ours and his relationship with Gerry definitely sounds good which is nice to hear but he really doesn't sound too sure of anything unless he is and he's just playing the game...either way he sounds like he's going to be patient and take his time but sweet mother of God if he's looking to take his officials etc then let's get this show on the road and figure it out so we aren't left standing there with our hands in our pockets so to speak...exactly why I hope our staff is recruiting other guards for this class (which seems like we haven't been)

how?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom