Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Its hard to have more than one guy average 18+ a season in college. I think TT would be capable of it but as you point out there is only 1 ball. IMO Battle will average around 18 and we will have a three or four double figure scorers after that who are also able to go for 18/20 on a given night.
I think there's a possibility that we see an O/D switch .. from TT to Sidibe/Chukwu ... this year. T's D is weak, either in the middle or on the wing. However, your point about his offense is undeniable. We need his scoring. Sure, in a perfect world, I'd like to see him at PF. But with the offensive limitations of Sidibe and Chukwu, TT's going to have to log substantial minutes in the middle. I'm just hoping that he doesn't give up more points than he scores while he's in there. Switching in Sidibe/Chukwu on D might prevent TT from getting in the flow. But it will also bring in a better defender, and would limit TT's silly fouls.

I love all the optimism I'm hearing from everyone re: TT, but I'm not sure he's going to get enough touches to get 18ppg, especially with almost all of his baskets being 2 pointers (vs. 3s), and a pretty low FT%. He'll definitely see more minutes than last year, and would presumably share the offensive focus with Battle and possibly Thorpe, so his numbers will be higher across the board. But I think of someone who's averaging 18 points a game as someone who's the *main* focal point of the offense, and playing north of 34 mpg...not sure either will be the case for TT this year. I don't think it's unattainable for him, but would probably expect him to be more like 14ppg.

Overall though, I share your relatively rosy outlook on this year's team. Going to be a lot of fun to watch!
TT shot 65% from the FT line. For a freshman big, that's basically unheard of at Syracuse. That should only improve, too.

TT shot 65% from the FT line. For a freshman big, that's basically unheard of at Syracuse. That should only improve, too.
Sid could play the four on D

Call me Polyanna. Taurean is a talent. He wants to win . He's enthusiastic and unafraid on the court. He is the number 1 cheerleader on the bench along with Moyer. He knows he's weak defensively. He had a year in the system. He , like any competitor, wants to prove his critics wrong. He's NBA stock to many. He recognizes defense has been his weakness. He will be a totally different player defensively out of need and determination. My humble prediction based on zero facts.

Call me Polyanna. Taurean is a talent. He wants to win . He's enthusiastic and unafraid on the court. He is the number 1 cheerleader on the bench along with Moyer. He knows he's weak defensively. He had a year in the system. He , like any competitor, wants to prove his critics wrong. He's NBA stock to many. He recognizes defense has been his weakness. He will be a totally different player defensively out of need and determination. My humble prediction based on zero facts.
Agree 100 percent

I'd also expect him to improve defensively as a function of having a year of experience under his belt, along with additional physical maturity. Really, nowhere to go but up in the regard. The question is, how much improvement will he show.

I hope you prove to be correct on this, but if there is just a single thing I learned from last season, it's to not count your chickens before they're hatched. This upcoming season could certainly turn out better than last season (it wouldn't take much!), but chemistry and lack of experience are big hurdles to overcome in order to realize that.
How is making predictions counting chickens before they're hatched? He's a fan and likes the roster and wants to get excited for the season ahead. We all know there are no guarantees, the team will be young, and there are lots of question marks. I think you'll see a wide array of predictions for next year but they are only predictions. No one is assuming anything.

I think he is a bit slow and mechanical with some of his moves, which doesn't really translate to the next level.
However, it maybe they they are works in progress and will get better over time.
It may be that they are as good as they get.
It may be that I am all wet.

Kind of refreshing in this age of get to the league ASAP to see a kid enjoy his youth and take his time becoming an adult but this one has really baffled me. I'm not strictly talking about Cuse but a kid with the skills and academics to play high D1 ball, a chance to practice every day against similarly skilled players and receive coaching from some of the best basketball minds in the world vs. wait a year and see what transpires seems counter to virtually every other story we read lately.
Screams "I don't want to leave my girlfriend" to me.

I've been wrong before but I'm happy with how it turned out as it relates to this coming season.
giphy.gif

I can't believe Rovals has another article up on Ayala with basically the same thing that's already been out there before. I guess someone didn't clue them in that Thorpe committed today so he's SOL this year for SU and I personally do not think he will ever suit up in a Syracuse uniform thanks to his AAU Coach's -

too bad the wrong people got in his ear this past spring - maybe he'll still come in 18 but tend to doubt it - oh well
So what have you heard they were telling him?

I can't believe Rovals has another article up on Ayala with basically the same thing that's already been out there before. I guess someone didn't clue them in that Thorpe committed today so he's SOL this year for SU and I personally do not think he will ever suit up in a Syracuse uniform thanks to his AAU Coach's -
There's been a lot of talk on here about people getting in Ayala's ear, and that's it's not his high school coach. So the We R1 guys don't like Syracuse or JB and have been telling him he can get a better offer? Is that how I'm to read the situation?

There's been a lot of talk on here about people getting in Ayala's ear, and that's it's not his high school coach. So the We R1 guys don't like Syracuse or JB and have been telling him he can get a better offer? Is that how I'm to read the situation?
No, it's his AAU coach's. His HS coach has been great through the whole thing based on what I've read.

No, it's his AAU coach's. His HS coach has been great through the whole thing based on what I've read.
That's what I said. Isn't his AAU team WER1?

We previously had a good relationship with WER1 didn't we? Has that been damaged before this or now?

Who do you guys think built and maintained all our good relationships with AAU programs? Do you think they are all happy about how things went down? That is going to play into things with some recruits for a while.

Who do you guys think built and maintained all our good relationships with AAU programs? Do you think they are all happy about how things went down? That is going to play into things with some recruits for a while.

Excellent point. Some amount of repairing things will need to be done.

true- but Red has extensive AAU ties, too - I don't think all our good relationships just came crashing down

Are you suggesting that Syracuse U just did something wrong by moving on from Ayala? The AAU guys know the game. Ayala held Syracuse up and Syracuse had to make a move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom