Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 72 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

I see it although it's hard because of the age of the two players being so far apart. The both kind of have an old man game in the sense that they both aren't elite blow by guys but find a crafty way to score and seem to use their bodies well to shield defenders. It's a tough decision for me to decide what I would prefer. 3-4 years of Ayala or 1 year of Thorpe with the possibility of landing Carey. I would lean towards the second because I have a good feeling about Carey for some reason. I could be off on my comparison because I don't remember watching Thorpe before college and I haven't seen much video in general on him so it's just a limited video watch general opinion.
Having seen Ayala in person, I would say he'll really have to work hard to improve on his outside shot over the next several years to even come close to being the shooter Thorpe is.

Sometimes kid just don't know what to do. A local kid has been offered a spot with the NJ Red Bulls residential academy. From there he can write his ticket to college, but he would miss his senior year of HS. Last I knew, he was still undecided.
Update: the kid turned down the Red Bulls. My son would jump at the chance. Different strokes.

Can't wait for this kid to squeeze out whatever turd of a decision he makes, so I never have to think about him again.
Yeah...it's almost like his decision is to reclass to 2017 and end up somewhere that is obviously not his first choice, or stay in 2018, and wait/hope for whatever school he seems to be waiting for to offer him.

Yeah...it's almost like his decision is to reclass to 2017 and end up somewhere that is obviously not his first choice, or stay in 2018, and wait/hope for whatever school he seems to be waiting for to offer him.
I'm also tired of his bs. I wish him well but he overplayed his hand. Luckily for him, he's a quicker decision maker on the court.

My understanding is that his AAU coach has considerable influence with him and is in his ear not to reclassify to 2017. Suggestion being that the coach is encouraging him to wait for blue blood offers and he is selfishly keeping him in 2018 so the coach can have Ayala for another AAU year.
Rumor + innuendo + unreqiuted interest + unwelcomed outcome rationalization + internet = truth in today's world

I have nothing against EA. I'm happy he didn't jump to come here. Geno is what we needed. Still, I hope we are involved with Eric for 2018.

If we lose out on Carey, then everyone will come crawling back hoping for EA. Duke is doubtful. Luther, who knows, but doubtful. So, if Carey unfortunately decides elsewhere, then I sure do hope we still have a shot with EA.

Like I've said a million times. I love HW, so I'm not as worried as some, but we do need a guard. Praying that it's Carey, but I'm not gonna toss EA to the curb like he's some bum.

Unfortunately, he's rumored to have a lot of voices in his head. Who knows. I'd welcome him to the Cuse in the 2018 class, gladly.

I have nothing against EA. I'm happy he didn't jump to come here. Geno is what we needed. Still, I hope we are involved with Eric for 2018.

If we lose out on Carey, then everyone will come crawling back hoping for EA. Duke is doubtful. Luther, who knows, but doubtful. So, if Carey unfortunately decides elsewhere, then I sure do hope we still have a shot with EA.

Like I've said a million times. I love HW, so I'm not as worried as some, but we do need a guard. Praying that it's Carey, but I'm not gonna toss EA to the curb like he's some bum.

Unfortunately, he's rumored to have a lot of voices in his head. Who knows. I'd welcome him to the Cuse in the 2018 class, gladly.
People make next year out to be a year we must get a top OF. Far from true. Howard will be a senior and will be one of the top pg in the conference . A sophomore Washington will be a perfect backup. Can't stress enough how different FH is going to be to people this year. Totally new player and healthy.

People make next year out to be a year we must get a top OF. Far from true. Howard will be a senior and will be one of the top pg in the conference . A sophomore Washington will be a perfect backup. Can't stress enough how different FH is going to be to people this year. Totally new player and healthy.
What's up, Frank?

Kidding - but all jokes aside, I'm all for giving FH one more chance. But I hope you can see why people are tad pessimistic. We will find out very quickly into the season how Frank will be. If he struggles again this year, we are in big trouble next year without a PG. I like HW as a backup, but I can't see how we could rely on a senior FH who struggled his first 3 years - vvery rarely do guys have an explosive senior year while struggling so much their first 3 years. Can it happen? Sure. Should we ignore the PG position in hopes that it does (if FH struggles)? No.

Thanks, Frank's mom. Hope you are right, but for me, I gotta see it to believe it. I think the abdomin was an issue, to be sure, but IMO, his head and heart are bigger issues. Surgery doesn't fix those.
Again, as an SU fan, I hope Frank proves me wrong.

There's really nothing to support that other than the fact that he plays for Syracuse and you want him to.

Agree with that assessment. I'll add that I listened to Francis's recent pod and he made a very important observation: We need Carey because we need an explosive, athletic guard that has an ability to attack the basket and get buckets when we need them combined with the ability to hit outside shots to keep defenses from sagging off...basically someone to replace Tyus, who will likely be going pro. Frank Howard Washington isn't that type of player and based on Francis's assessment Elijah Hughes may not be that guy either. I'm less worried about who can play PG in 2018-19--hopefully Howard or Washington can fill that role (along with Carey)--and more worried about who's going to be that attacking guard who can get to the rim easily and score when we need buckets. It sounds like Carey is that guy and will be able to play both guard spots.

I agree with you. It's not a well liked view here obviously, but I think we are fine at PG.

That said, I want Carey because he is an elite recruit at the perfect timing. HW will have a year in, and Frank will be a senior, like you said.

Carey is perfect to transition things along, as I see him as a two year player, tops. Frank will be gone, and then HW runs the show his last two years. While also contributing some at the 2 in years one, and two, I believe. His shooting is great, and solid length to slide over for a few minutes.

It works for everyone, if everyone buys in. I'm expecting big things from Frank, so I'm on your side, but he just has to play his role whatever that may be.

I agree with you. It's not a well liked view here obviously, but I think we are fine at PG.

That said, I want Carey because he is an elite recruit at the perfect timing. HW will have a year in, and Frank will be a senior, like you said.

Carey is perfect to transition things along, as I see him as a two year player, tops. Frank will be gone, and then HW runs the show his last two years. While also contributing some at the 2 in years one, and two, I believe. His shooting is great, and solid length to slide over for a few minutes.

It works for everyone, if everyone buys in. I'm expecting big things from Frank, so I'm on your side, but he just has to play his role whatever that may be.
Yeah PG will be totally fine next year. No one we sign and I mean no one is going to play much with a senior FH here. We habe many fans who love to trash Frank and I get It, but it's going to be a different guy this yr. He will win us games. I think we are much weaker at SG than PG right now for 2019

Can't wait for this kid to squeeze out whatever turd of a decision he makes, so I never have to think about him again.
Actually, you never have to think about him now. You just chose to do so.
Not sure why an "adult" would denigrate an 18 year old person's decision making process when it matters not to the "adult" what the other one decides.

Yeah PG will be totally fine next year. No one we sign and I mean no one is going to play much with a senior FH here. We habe many fans who love to trash Frank and I get It, but it's going to be a different guy this yr. He will win us games. I think we are much weaker at SG than PG right now for 2019

Seriously, you have to have a connection to Frank Howard. I doubt you'll disclose what it is but there's no doubt in my mind you have to be friend or family. It's very transparent.

Last edited:

Just to be clear, because I love your stuff:

1. No one we have now, or will sign going forward, is going to play much at PG Frank's senior year

2. Marek Dolezaj will be the best Forward on the team, including Brissett, and start from Day 1

Seriously, you have to have a connection to Frank Howard. I doubt you'll disclose what it is but there's no doubt in my mind you have to be friend or family. It's very transparent.

Probably true, but so what? It's not like this is a legal proceeding where conflict of interests has to be disclosed, ya know? I was super disappointed in Franks performance last year but I hope like crazy he can turn it around and be great his last two years. No problem at all with someone putting out some positivity about him.

Just to be clear, because I love your stuff:

1. No one we have now, or will sign going forward, is going to play much at PG Frank's senior year

2. Marek Dolezaj will be the best Forward on the team, including Brissett, and start from Day 1
I really hope Dolezaj is that good but I think we need to temper expectations, he's 6'9 and weighs a hundred seventy pounds, he's going to be pushed around in the acc. He also doesn't seem to be a fluid shooter from what I have seen. Brissett on the other hand already has an NBA build with great athleticism and this last year showed improved shooting. I would be shocked if he doesn't get more minutes then Dolezaj who isn't even on campus yet.

I really hope Dolezaj is that good but I think we need to temper expectations, he's 6'9 and weighs a hundred seventy pounds, he's going to be pushed around in the acc. He also doesn't seem to be a fluid shooter from what I have seen. Brissett on the other hand already has an NBA build with great athleticism and this last year showed improved shooting. I would be shocked if he doesn't get more minutes then Dolezaj who isn't even on campus yet.

Just to be clear, the bulleted points in the my post you quoted are not my opinions. I was highlighting CuseLifer11 predictions.

I have extremely high expectations for Brissett and have been posting this since Feburary (not that I expect anyone to care or remember). I think Brisssett can and will play the 3. I'm not convinced at this point that Dolezaj will see a lot of minutes next year. He is just not ready physically.

Just to be clear, the bulleted points in the my post you quoted are not my opinions. I was highlighting CuseLifer11 predictions.

I have extremely high expectations for Brissett and have been posting this since Feburary (not that I expect anyone to care or remember). I think Brisssett can and will play the 3. I'm not convinced at this point that Dolezaj will see a lot of minutes next year. He is just not ready physically.
Just to be fair to CuseLifer, he believes that Dolezaj be the best forward but that there is a good chance that they bring him in off the bench.

Whether either or both are true I'm just fairly happy that we may have some quality depth at the position and players that have good versatility to play multiple positions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom