Class of 2018 - SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland | Page 73 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG Eric Ayala (DE/IMG) to Maryland

Just to be fair to CuseLifer, he believes that Dolezaj be the best forward but that there is a good chance that they bring him in off the bench.

Whether either or both are true I'm just fairly happy that we may have some quality depth at the position and players that have good versatility to play multiple positions

I hear you, I am referring to accumulative stuff like:

Never has there been a recruit more under sold by the SU fans than this kid. 80% chance he is one and done . And I'm low balling it. Kid will play the most minutes at forward for us by a good amount. Add in the fact TT will probably be in foul trouble alot, and Marek could certainly be our 2nd leading scorer.

Marek is one and done. ...Anyone who thinks OB or Moyer will have a better year or more playing time than Marek are going to be incorrect... barring injury or the coaches being way off on what they think.

OB is nice but not even our best SF. That title belongs to Marek.

To be fair, I am not discounting the possibility that CuseLifer11 could be dead on with these predictions. I wonder more about the absolute certainty. If this kid is as good as CuseLifer11 thinks, we all win. I am just not sure that Marek is physically ready enough at this time to produce at this level.

Probably true, but so what? It's not like this is a legal proceeding where conflict of interests has to be disclosed, ya know? I was super disappointed in Franks performance last year but I hope like crazy he can turn it around and be great his last two years. No problem at all with someone putting out some positivity about him.

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with the poster having a connection. However, it would call into question his objectivity when evaluating the player.

I wasn't saying there's anything wrong with the poster having a connection. However, it would call into question his objectivity when evaluating the player.

I get it. Just seemed a little harsh on him when I read it.

I hear you, I am referring to accumulative stuff like:

To be fair, I am not discounting the possibility that CuseLifer11 could be dead on with these predictions. I wonder more about the absolute certainty. If this kid is as good as CuseLifer11 thinks, we all win. I am just not sure that Marek is physically ready enough at this time to produce at this level.
Oh I totally understand people questioning his method of doubling down with certainty. I have no idea what the outcome will be and don't try to pretend to. I was just giving him a tiny bit of defense in that he did state that there's a good possibility of him not starting, although he still believes he'll be the best forward regardless.

And while I do temper my expectations on the Dolezaj front due lack of knowledge, it would be great if it turns out to be true because I expect Brissett to be a stud. So if Dolezaj is actually better, then we'll be looking at something special.

Oh I totally understand people questioning his method of doubling down with certainty. I have no idea what the outcome will be and don't try to pretend to. I was just giving him a tiny bit of defense in that he did state that there's a good possibility of him not starting, although he still believes he'll be the best forward regardless.

And while I do temper my expectations on the Dolezaj front due lack of knowledge, it would be great if it turns out to be true because I expect Brissett to be a stud. So if Dolezaj is actually better, then we'll be looking at something special.
Ayala would like that

Seriously, you have to have a connection to Frank Howard. I doubt you'll disclose what it is but there's no doubt in my mind you have to be friend or family. It's very transparent.

I wonder what his connection is with Marek too.

Actually, you never have to think about him now. You just chose to do so.
Not sure why an "adult" would denigrate an 18 year old person's decision making process when it matters not to the "adult" what the other one decides.

Similarly, why would an adult care about what another adult says in jest on a fan message board.

I really hope Dolezaj is that good but I think we need to temper expectations, he's 6'9 and weighs a hundred seventy pounds, he's going to be pushed around in the acc. He also doesn't seem to be a fluid shooter from what I have seen. Brissett on the other hand already has an NBA build with great athleticism and this last year showed improved shooting. I would be shocked if he doesn't get more minutes then Dolezaj who isn't even on campus yet.

I'm not as worried about his weight. Damone Brown, Hakim Warrick, Preston Shumpert...we've had a lot of guys who didn't have much to them that did just fine here. If he's as athletic as advertised, and his game is ready skillwise then he can contribute. Obviously getting stronger will make him even better but if the kid can play, he can play. We'll see. I remember when they made a big deal about Kevin Durant not being able to bench press 135 pounds or something at the Draft combine, and he went out and got 20 ppg as a rookie.

I'm not as worried about his weight. Damone Brown, Hakim Warrick, Preston Shumpert...we've had a lot of guys who didn't have much to them that did just fine here. If he's as athletic as advertised, and his game is ready skillwise then he can contribute. Obviously getting stronger will make him even better but if the kid can play, he can play. We'll see. I remember when they made a big deal about Kevin Durant not being able to bench press 135 pounds or something at the Draft combine, and he went out and got 20 ppg as a rookie.

Agreed. He has been battling with some grown men. The weight doesn't bother me. We shall see. Some players have that hidden strength, or make up for the lack of weight with their skills, and motor. I think sometimes we overrate the importance of weight. I'll take lean muscle, and athleticism over a slow 6'9 guy, who weighs 220+.

Not sure his true weight. I can see him being just fine at 180-190. Time will tell.

Sorry, Ayala thread. Hmmmmm, I don't know. I got nothing.

Agreed. He has been battling with some grown men. The weight doesn't bother me. We shall see. Some players have that hidden strength, or make up for the lack of weight with their skills, and motor. I think sometimes we overrate the importance of weight. I'll take lean muscle, and athleticism over a slow 6'9 guy, who weighs 220+.

Not sure his true weight. I can see him being just fine at 180-190. Time will tell.

Sorry, Ayala thread. Hmmmmm, I don't know. I got nothing.
MD can't be any thinner than Jonathan Isaac, and he did pretty well that 2nd half against us in the Dome...
Ayala, make a decision, any decision.

I would offer two comments ...

Marek Dolezaj is probably not a candidate for the NBA draft as one-and-done, but who knows; I would not be surprised
if he was a candidate to return to Europe after one year and join a franchise there due to [ homesickness AND/OR wants
to get paid AND/OR other reasons ]. That shouldn't be news.

Eric Ayala, how involved is SU still? It seems that there are far better targets in the 2018 class, not that SU is recruiting
them correctly, and, with both Hughes and Thorpe, there's not much room on the bus this season.

Kev

We've all heard stories about college kids who stayed in school one year too long and hurt their draft stock.

Ayala may be the 1st kid who stayed in HS a year too long. ;)
Not even sure you need the wink emoji here...should have the nail on the head emoji instead(if they make one of course...ha).

So if we get Carey I assume we pass on Ayala completely. If we don't get Carey I think Ayala becomes an option again

Yes, this.

Am I the only one who is thrilled that we're treating Ayala as our fallback option, and it's no longer the other way around?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom