Class of 2025 - SG Kiyan Anthony (NY) Offered | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 SG Kiyan Anthony (NY) Offered

You clearly know how all this works. How did you go about your recruiting process? I bet you were in the the gym 24/7. Probably had a cot on the sideline so you wouldn't get distracted or waste any time prepping for the show. You really need to start a consulting service to help these kids out. You know, to give them the best shot at success.
whatever man

i never said i have all the answers

i have been watching Cuse for close to 40 years...but I guess that only matters if I actually played for the team.

regardless, back on topic...

Hopefully Kiyan can find the right team for him...(and hopefully that is the Cuse)

EYBL thankfully does a good job of tracking stats nowadays (at least for the main teams/players like Kiyan). Across his 23 EYBL games this summer, I have him down for the following numbers:

Per Game:
  • 20.3 points
  • 3.9 rebounds
  • 1.9 assists to 1.2 turnovers
  • 0.3 blocks and 0.7 steals
  • ~28 minutes per game
Per 40 Minutes:
  • 28.8 points
  • 5.5 rebounds
  • 2.6 assists to 1.7 turnovers
  • 0.4 blocks and 0.9 steals
Shooting Percentages:
  • 39.3% FG%
  • 29.7% 3PT%
  • 45.3% 2PT%
  • 73.9% FT%
  • 51.2% TS%
All in all, the kid is scoring at a pretty ridiculous rate. The actual percentages are pretty bad across the board, and the median game is worse than those percentages suggest as he absolutely embarrassed the worst team in the league. Having said that, shooting percentages are generally pretty bad at this age; while I love my stats and believe they carry a lot of weight as kids are entering college/playing in college, it's probably more important to focus on the film at Kiyan's age and just watch the things he's doing/is capable of doing rather than getting hung up too much on numbers. His team is also a respectable 11-12 with Kiyan being the leading scorer on his team by a comfortable margin, so percentages be damned, it's working for them for the most part.

I'd also add that anyone that's watched him in a game from a year or two ago vs. his recent games can see he's improved a ton over that span. If he continues his current trajectory, he could be really special.

EYBL thankfully does a good job of tracking stats nowadays (at least for the main teams/players like Kiyan). Across his 23 EYBL games this summer, I have him down for the following numbers:

Per Game:
  • 20.3 points
  • 3.9 rebounds
  • 1.9 assists to 1.2 turnovers
  • 0.3 blocks and 0.7 steals
  • ~28 minutes per game
Per 40 Minutes:
  • 28.8 points
  • 5.5 rebounds
  • 2.6 assists to 1.7 turnovers
  • 0.4 blocks and 0.9 steals
Shooting Percentages:
  • 39.3% FG%
  • 29.7% 3PT%
  • 45.3% 2PT%
  • 73.9% FT%
  • 51.2% TS%
All in all, the kid is scoring at a pretty ridiculous rate. The actual percentages are pretty bad across the board, and the median game is worse than those percentages suggest as he absolutely embarrassed the worst team in the league. Having said that, shooting percentages are generally pretty bad at this age; while I love my stats and believe they carry a lot of weight as kids are entering college/playing in college, it's probably more important to focus on the film at Kiyan's age and just watch the things he's doing/is capable of doing rather than getting hung up too much on numbers. His team is also a respectable 11-12 with Kiyan being the leading scorer on his team by a comfortable margin, so percentages be damned, it's working for them for the most part.

I'd also add that anyone that's watched him in a game from a year or two ago vs. his recent games can see he's improved a ton over that span. If he continues his current trajectory, he could be really special.
His shooting percentages are down because EYBL counts when you get fouled as a shot attempt

If I’m Melo there’s no way I give any NIL to Kiyan tho lol

Yeah, that’d be moronic.

Give a family member $, that they then have to declare and pay tax on??

Yeah, that’d be moronic.

Give a family member $, that they then have to declare and pay tax on??
That’s not how gifts and taxes work. Melo could give Kiyan $13,610,000.00 this year without any Federal income taxes due from anyone. (Assuming no previous reported gifts, which would reduce that amount.)

Also, it could be a tax advantageous for the family for Melo to pay Kiyan money from one of his ventures, and let Kiyan pay income tax at his personal rate, rather than Melo pay the taxes at his rate. That’s for Melo’s tax folks to work out, which I am sure that they have.

Hope the staff got to Kiyan about committing early as a means to intriguing other high-profile recruits as well as the "Melo fund"
If you see Sadie White’s statement, and who he is talking to, he talks about bringing Kiyan home and bringing SU back.
I took those comments to sound like Aceden (sp?) and Kiyan are in.

That’s not how gifts and taxes work. Melo could give Kiyan $13,610,000.00 this year without any Federal income taxes due from anyone. (Assuming no previous reported gifts, which would reduce that amount.)

Also, it could be a tax advantageous for the family for Melo to pay Kiyan money from one of his ventures, and let Kiyan pay income tax at his personal rate, rather than Melo pay the taxes at his rate. That’s for Melo’s tax folks to work out, which I am sure that they have.

Dude - I know how gifts work.

NIL is NOT a gift.
It is taxable, as income.

Which is why it would be MORONIC for Melo to do NIL for his son, which is fully taxable -
when he can gift him basically whatever he wants, tax-free.

Only if Melo dies. You are quoting the inheritance tax, not the gift tax.

The person giving a gift pays full tax at ordinary income for every dollar over $18k in gifts. Melo could use the lifetime exclusion, but when he does die, the inheritance exclusion from taxes is also reduced by any gifts he gives.

Actually donating it to NIL, getting a deduction and then having his kid pay tax at his full (lower) ordinary income rate would actually be a net positive, assuming Melo shows any income at all these days. Most very rich people don't make any money (wink wink) that is taxable as income.

Most rich parents just pay all their kids bills and buy them things without directly transferring funds. Not that super rich people pay taxes anyway. Lol

Last edited:
Dude - I know how gifts work.

NIL is NOT a gift.
It is taxable, as income.

Which is why it would be MORONIC for Melo to do NIL for his son, which is fully taxable -
when he can gift him basically whatever he wants, tax-free.
The quote I responded to was “give a family member money”. It didn’t say “pay” a family member money. Those are two different things.

I also covered what the poster may have meant, when I wrote that there could actuall be tax advantages to Melo if in fact he paid Kiyan NIL from one of his many ventures.

Only if Melo dies. You are quoting the inheritance tax, not the gift tax.

The person giving a gift pays full tax at ordinary income for every dollar over $18k in gifts. Melo could use the lifetime exclusion, but when he does die, the inheritance exclusion from taxes is also reduced by any gifts he gives.

Actually donating it to NIL, getting a deduction and then having his kid pay tax at his full (lower) ordinary income rate would actually be a net positive, assuming Melo shows any income at all these days. Most very rich people don't make any money (wink wink) that is taxable as income.

Most rich parents just pay all their kids bills and buy them things without directly transferring funds. Not that super rich people pay taxes anyway. Lol

Yep, this. Its kind of a no brainer.

Kiyan’s commitment video will be as dramatic as Melo’s retirement video.
I'd like to give Kiyan his first official crystal ball.

Attachments

• 712ACjvHDtL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    712ACjvHDtL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 24