Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

Did he actually watch him play or just read a bunch of stat lines?
What stat lines miss are the basketball plays that don't create stats. Like the pick that got a shooter open or the hockey assist that leads to a basket or the defensive position that leads to a bad pass or steal or the block out that leads to someone else getting a rebound etc. I have no idea what Taylor will bring but it appears he does a little bit of everything in a 6'5" 200 lb body. Lace em up!

What stat lines miss are the basketball plays that don't create stats. Like the pick that got a shooter open or the hockey assist that leads to a basket or the defensive position that leads to a bad pass or steal or the block out that leads to someone else getting a rebound etc. I have no idea what Taylor will bring but it appears he does a little bit of everything in a 6'5" 200 lb body. Lace em up!
Well you know, a guy can create more turnovers because his team stinks and he’s getting doubled all the time. Last I checked that doesn’t show up in a stat line. But what do I know?

I see Taylor as a spark off the bench. If he's hitting the 3's he plays more and if he's not he plays less. Some players seem to need to "warm up" and have to be in the game for a while and keep firing up 3's to get in a flow, I have a feeling Taylor may be a player like that but hoping I'm wrong.

I feel good about this team. I like that we have a lot of upperclassmen (seniors and juniors), and we appear to be a balanced team where roles are defined, players can play within themselves and not asked to play out of position (less turnovers, better shot selection). This is a much better team for Freeman and Moore to step into than last year's team.

From his tape, I was impressed with his shooting -- both squaring up from behind the three point arc, and when he gets into the lane and shoots floaters off the dribble.

Would be surprised if he isn't a decent contributor on that basis, as a second unit player.
I agree. The bottom line is, we are getting a full roster and nobody knows how it will shake out. This guy brings experience and guard skills.

From his tape, I was impressed with his shooting -- both squaring up from behind the three point arc, and when he gets into the lane and shoots floaters off the dribble.

Would be surprised if he isn't a decent contributor on that basis, as a second unit player.
Agreed. He’s not going to be asked to do as much here as he did for Georgia State. We just need him to play defense and shoot. I think Red has done a great job creating competition for minutes at the guard spot. Admittedly I am still somewhat concerned about the PG position, but we have plenty of options off the ball.

Last edited:
IMG_7972.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep in mind he was the best player on Georgia State last year and the usually the focus of the defense, so I wouldn't necessarily read too much into his numbers against BYU.

He had a friend/relative/acquaintance (not sure their relationship) who sat in courtside seats most games and had some serious style. Almost always in pink high tops, sometimes with a full pink sweatsuit, but always some bold fashion choices. He'd usually run on the court and bump chests with Lucas after wins, which is why I assumed they knew each other. If he comes along, you'll be getting a bonus fashion-wise.

Agree with the comment about making decisions based on stats in a vacuum. People who have played sports and understand them know that you can't just look at stats and understand how good or bad a player is. Particularly in basketball, where there aren't many players and so much depends on so many factors.

Anyway, I watch the highlight film for Lucas. There are some things you can always safely take away from film. What does his shooting form look like? How quick is his release? Does he move well? Can he shoot off the dribble?

I like his form. He holds the ball up high. Shoots with the same form consistently. It actually looks very much like the way Kiyan Anthony shoots. To me, he looks like a good athlete and yes, he looks comfortable shooting off the dribble as well.

I think his release is very quick. Given his height, his high release and how quickly he gets his shot off, I think he will not have problems getting outside shots off in conference play.

In the film, he takes a lot of what I will call long range (i.e. 24-25 foot) jumpers. On the surface, that is disturbing. We probably don't want that. But we know he was the leading scorer on Georgia State. We know Georgia State was not a good team. They had a losing record in conference play and a losing record overall. I bet he was often put in the position of 'making something happen' when the shot clock got down to under 5 and a lot of his long range shots were driven by that. Only way to tell for sure is to watch whole games, which I am not going to do.

His FG percentage isn't great either and I suspect him forcing shots late in the shot clock played a role here as well. He took 415 shots playing 953 minutes last season, which means he was taking a lot of shots every game. He won't have that role for us. That hopefully should mean a lot of bad shots he took last year won't be taken this coming season.

I know there are people who like Kyle Cuffe a lot and I understand it. He seems like a really good person and a great teammate. It makes him easy to like and root for and I am hoping he ends up having a really good career for Syracuse.

But he looked really raw in his limited time last year. Forced some shots, struggled to get open, struggled to shoot, struggled on defense sometimes. It was a tough year and I get it, he hasn't played much for a while. It is tough when you are an undersized shooting guard and your shot isn't falling.

I think the coaching staff felt that they had to add insurance at shooting guard in case Cuffe continues to struggle to score and in case Moore, a true frosh, struggles to play well his first year of college ball. Most freshman struggle some making the big adjustment to college ball. We have had a lot of good shooters come through the program but not many have bene able to produce at a high level immediately. GMac did but not many others.

So I like this move. Coach Autry is building up a roster with a bunch of options. If a player struggles or gets hurt, there is going to be another player ready to step in. Last year, we didn't have quality depth and when we had a couple players not performed as expected/get hurt, it really hurt the performance of the team.

I think the overall depth of the team is much improved. And if we can add a C/PF type as well, I am feeling pretty good about things. I think this roster will be our best roster in a number of years. I am not sure it will be good enough to make the NCAA tournament but I will be disappointed if we are not at least very much in the mix for an NCAA bid come early March.

I mostly like the roster makeup, even though it has question marks. Very few teams don't.

My biggest question is that while we'll have attackers who can suck in defenses and draw fouls, we may not have scorers who can consistently finish at the rim. That's where I'm most excited to see how Freeman's addition impacts the team, because no one else really has that skill (Lampkin mainly operates below the rim and who knows how much McLeod will be able to contribute).

I mostly like the roster makeup, even though it has question marks. Very few teams don't.

My biggest question is that while we'll have attackers who can suck in defenses and draw fouls, we may not have scorers who can consistently finish at the rim. That's where I'm most excited to see how Freeman's addition impacts the team, because no one else really has that skill (Lampkin mainly operates below the rim and who knows how much McLeod will be able to contribute).
That's suppose to be JJ.

Agree with the comment about making decisions based on stats in a vacuum. People who have played sports and understand them know that you can't just look at stats and understand how good or bad a player is. Particularly in basketball, where there aren't many players and so much depends on so many factors.

Anyway, I watch the highlight film for Lucas. There are some things you can always safely take away from film. What does his shooting form look like? How quick is his release? Does he move well? Can he shoot off the dribble?

I like his form. He holds the ball up high. Shoots with the same form consistently. It actually looks very much like the way Kiyan Anthony shoots. To me, he looks like a good athlete and yes, he looks comfortable shooting off the dribble as well.

I think his release is very quick. Given his height, his high release and how quickly he gets his shot off, I think he will not have problems getting outside shots off in conference play.

In the film, he takes a lot of what I will call long range (i.e. 24-25 foot) jumpers. On the surface, that is disturbing. We probably don't want that. But we know he was the leading scorer on Georgia State. We know Georgia State was not a good team. They had a losing record in conference play and a losing record overall. I bet he was often put in the position of 'making something happen' when the shot clock got down to under 5 and a lot of his long range shots were driven by that. Only way to tell for sure is to watch whole games, which I am not going to do.

His FG percentage isn't great either and I suspect him forcing shots late in the shot clock played a role here as well. He took 415 shots playing 953 minutes last season, which means he was taking a lot of shots every game. He won't have that role for us. That hopefully should mean a lot of bad shots he took last year won't be taken this coming season.

I know there are people who like Kyle Cuffe a lot and I understand it. He seems like a really good person and a great teammate. It makes him easy to like and root for and I am hoping he ends up having a really good career for Syracuse.

But he looked really raw in his limited time last year. Forced some shots, struggled to get open, struggled to shoot, struggled on defense sometimes. It was a tough year and I get it, he hasn't played much for a while. It is tough when you are an undersized shooting guard and your shot isn't falling.

I think the coaching staff felt that they had to add insurance at shooting guard in case Cuffe continues to struggle to score and in case Moore, a true frosh, struggles to play well his first year of college ball. Most freshman struggle some making the big adjustment to college ball. We have had a lot of good shooters come through the program but not many have bene able to produce at a high level immediately. GMac did but not many others.

So I like this move. Coach Autry is building up a roster with a bunch of options. If a player struggles or gets hurt, there is going to be another player ready to step in. Last year, we didn't have quality depth and when we had a couple players not performed as expected/get hurt, it really hurt the performance of the team.

I think the overall depth of the team is much improved. And if we can add a C/PF type as well, I am feeling pretty good about things. I think this roster will be our best roster in a number of years. I am not sure it will be good enough to make the NCAA tournament but I will be disappointed if we are not at least very much in the mix for an NCAA bid come early March.

Good stuff- to me experience and having an older team is critical to making the tourney. Helps you get out of the gate well. Pair that with a freshman like Donnie who will grow into his talent and you can pair early season stability and wins with a higher ceiling given having such a dynamic player- maybe Moore fits this role to a lesser extent too. I like where things are headed and think this will be a tourney team. Next year we bring in some major young talent and a sexier on paper roster hopefully too. That Marist kid is really intriguing and could be a great add to then be a key piece as a senior big man next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom