Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

Screenshot_20240604-202445_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20240604-202506_Instagram.jpg

If this kid is anything more than a 5-10 mpg guy, then we are probably in trouble. Just being honest.

I think there will be some battling going on in practice as the way I see it, we have some competitive and hungry kids coming in, needing to prove themselves in order to play.

Taylor, Westry, Moore, JJ, Cuffe, Carlos. Even if one of them gets time at forward, one or two of these guys will stand out.
c23a3757-45f5-46b8-b30e-2a094dd78174_text.gif

Just being honest,,, how would you know? None of us would. I expect the guys we have will be the most important guys on the team. But who knows?
Hope he surprises. Just not all that impressed.

He probably doesn't move the needle but how would we know at this point? We offered for a reason. Maybe insurance. Maybe the coaches think he is better than his profile. I just don't know one way or the other.

I’m glad we added another backcourt player. I hope we find a front court kid next that could play the 4/5.

I think there are going to be several games where he plays a pivotal role
Doubt it. From Juice on line editor Jim Stechschulte:

“The Panthers did not get to face high-major opponents often, as BYU was the lone team of that caliber on their slate. Taylor had a middling effort against the Cougars, posting ten points (4-of-9 shooting, including 2-of-5 3’s), three assists, and two rebounds. In fact, Taylor’s best game against a better-quality opponent was likely when he went 8-of-14 overall and 4-of-5 from long range in a 22-point effort against Troy, who finished third in the Sun Belt and #132 in KenPom.

Aside from his shooting capabilities, Taylor did not display any outsized skills at Georgia State. He posted pedestrian rebounding and assist rates, but did have solid ball security, posting a low turnover rate (13.4) for a player with a high (24.8) usage rate. Taylor also did not make outsized marks on defense and his 78.7 percent mark from the foul line was offset by a very low free throw rate, as he only got to the line 61 times last season.

Taylor amassed a fair amount of experience at Georgia State, but doing so against that lower level of competition likely does not make him a major contributor for the Orange. While a competent shooter, especially in a spot-up role (68.8 percent of his 3-pointers last season were assisted), Taylor has not shown a particularly diverse offensive game, underlined by a lack of assists (56 in 31 games last season) and that lack of trips to the foul line.“

chemistry is important. wanna avoid any in-fighting and "disgruntlement" at all costs

but ...that kinda thing should be able to be screened for in the recruitment phase...right?

as long as the coaches are upfront with the players while building the roster that the strategy will be to get as much talent as possible onboard and let it sort itself out in the season, it should be all good...

players should come in to the situation knowing the deal...and if they do, they have to be cool with it

as much as there are a lot of players who would avoid a loaded roster...i think there are also a lot of players who genuinely do want to win and will be glad to go to a loaded roster by choice...bc that will mean the team will likely be a winner

...and those are the kinda guys you want anyway
Any player unwilling to compete is not a player I would want on the team. I want grinders who play like this will be their last game.

All of our off-ball perimeter players for 2024-25 including the transfers posted pretty low turnover rates last season. Of course they have other skills too, but that's what jumps out the most when you look at who Red moved on from, who he kept and who he brought in. We’ll see how it translates for the up-transfers, but it’s nice to see some rationale.

And while Carlos was turnover-prone at the point at least he made up for it with gaudy assist numbers.

He probably doesn't move the needle but how would we know at this point? We offered for a reason. Maybe insurance. Maybe the coaches think he is better than his profile. I just don't know one way or the other.

I think there will be some battling going on in practice as the way I see it, we have some competitive and hungry kids coming in, needing to prove themselves in order to play.

Taylor, Westry, Moore, JJ, Cuffe, Carlos. Even if one of them gets time at forward, one or two of these guys will stand out.
c23a3757-45f5-46b8-b30e-2a094dd78174_text.gif

No room for anyone to relax. Nobody is too important not to have to play defense or pass the ball.

All of our off-ball perimeter players for 2024-25 including the transfers posted pretty low turnover rates last season. Of course they have other skills too, but that's what jumps out the most when you look at who Red moved on from, who he kept and who he brought in. We’ll see how it translates for the up-transfers, but it’s nice to see some rationale.

And while Carlos was turnover-prone at the point at least he made up for it with gaudy assist numbers.

Carlos had 2.4 to 1 A:T ratio. The top assist man in the country - Kolek of Marquette, had a 2.6 to 1 ratio.

Again much different in terms of stage but I wouldn’t say Carlos was at all turnover prone.

Carlos had 2.4 to 1 A:T ratio. The top assist man in the country - Kolek of Marquette, had a 2.6 to 1 ratio.

Again much different in terms of stage but I wouldn’t say Carlos was at all turnover prone.
He had a 21.8% TO rate last season. Not terrible but also not that sharp. For context, Judah had a 16.0% TO rate last season.

He had a 21.8% TO rate last season. Not terrible but also not that sharp. For context, Judah had a 16.0% TO rate last season.

I’d look at the A:T way before TO rate. Kolek was at 18 pct for example- also higher than Judah.

Doubt it. From Juice on line editor Jim Stechschulte:

“The Panthers did not get to face high-major opponents often, as BYU was the lone team of that caliber on their slate. Taylor had a middling effort against the Cougars, posting ten points (4-of-9 shooting, including 2-of-5 3’s), three assists, and two rebounds. In fact, Taylor’s best game against a better-quality opponent was likely when he went 8-of-14 overall and 4-of-5 from long range in a 22-point effort against Troy, who finished third in the Sun Belt and #132 in KenPom.

Aside from his shooting capabilities, Taylor did not display any outsized skills at Georgia State. He posted pedestrian rebounding and assist rates, but did have solid ball security, posting a low turnover rate (13.4) for a player with a high (24.8) usage rate. Taylor also did not make outsized marks on defense and his 78.7 percent mark from the foul line was offset by a very low free throw rate, as he only got to the line 61 times last season.

Taylor amassed a fair amount of experience at Georgia State, but doing so against that lower level of competition likely does not make him a major contributor for the Orange. While a competent shooter, especially in a spot-up role (68.8 percent of his 3-pointers last season were assisted), Taylor has not shown a particularly diverse offensive game, underlined by a lack of assists (56 in 31 games last season) and that lack of trips to the foul line.“
Did he actually watch him play or just read a bunch of stat lines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom