Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Dion Lose his . . . . over not starting? Did CJ?

The goal is to win a championship. Who the F cares if you're not starting if you are playing 32+ minutes and closing games anyway, and the team is doing really well?

White isn't going to transfer somewhere to come off the bench.

I'm not sure I like the idea of using playing time as the criteria of your decision. Given White's status, he should look for a team that gives him the best possible exposure. It depends on what he wants to achieve. If it's playing time he could transfer to some mid-major. If he's looking for opportunity for making a difference in really big games he has to use a different criteria. Maybe SU is the right fit maybe it's not. If he does choose SU and he's really that good then he will get the PT he deserves.

The goal is to win a championship. Who the F cares if you're not starting if you are playing 32+ minutes and closing games anyway, and the team is doing really well?

Tyler Lydon didn't start either, and also averaged > 30 min/game.

Who "starts" is so CYO league.

I'm inclined to agree. But in this case, where Lydon will be one of the best players in the country and contend for all-American and all-ACC honors... he needs to be out there to start.

Well, then he has to show he is one of the best players in the country and win his playing time. I don't understand the play time consideration. If he wants playing time transfer to St Bonaventure or some other mid-major. Heck, transfer to Rutgers.

I'm inclined to agree. But in this case, where Lydon will be one of the best players in the country and contend for all-American and all-ACC honors... he needs to be out there to start.

He will for sure, but lets for argument sake say we had a loaded team, and he came off the bench. He could still win poy playing 34 mins a game coming off the bench.

This coming season: of course.
But last year, I don't think Lydon would have wanted to trade places with Coleman just to be able to say he was a "starter".

Heck, transfer to Rutgers.

image.gif

Just like Dion did.

Just like Dion did.
Dion was not considered one of the best players in the country in college basketball at that time. He projected better as a pro than a collegian.

Plus, look. Dion knew he was better than Triche, froze him out at times, and felt that he should have been the starter. We don't need that again.

Totally agree. No need to get cute here. Lydon is one of the top five players in the ACC and one of the top 15 in the country Play him 35-40, not "just" 30. Play White at the two. I think Gillon would make a perfect sixth man.

I think you just tell the young man that we are just coming off of a Final Four, and that he would solidify the depth of our backcourt of what, with him, should be another Final Four contender. Show him example A, Malachi Richardson, and tell him, that he would also be getting some minutes at the 3, and we expect him to take that scoring role. He would have to earn the starting role, but his height and shooting give him an advantage in that race.

What would be the drawback of at least inquiring? We have two open spots even if we land TT.
Maybe the coaching staff is content with Autry as the fourth guard. He won't get a lot of minutes, but he won't gripe about it either.

Look at the Clippers. They could do better than Austin Rivers, but it's not going to happen so long as Doc is the head coach.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud here, and perhaps there is chemistry concerns with this kid, but he averaged 16.6 ppg in the B10 last year, better than anyone not named G. He's a proven commodity who instantaneously would make us way better. Adrian Autry Jr., will never play for us. This kid gets 30 mins immediately, as a starter or 6th man. But as others have alluded to as well, think this kid may be a bit of a head case.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if we even reached out to him.

After reading some of the articles about him, I tend to agree. Seems to be a lot of me/me/me concerns especially from his father...

Maybe the coaching staff is content with Autry as the fourth guard. He won't get a lot of minutes, but he won't gripe about it either.

Look at the Clippers. They could do better than Austin Rivers, but it's not going to happen so long as Doc is the head coach.

I can't imagine that would be the case [content with Autry as 4th guard]. That doesn't mean we won't roll with what we have, but it is nearly unfathomable to envision Autry [who averaged something like 5 ppg in high school] having to play meaningful minutes against ACC-caliber competition.

I can't imagine that would be the case [content with Autry as 4th guard]. That doesn't mean we won't roll with what we have, but it is nearly unfathomable to envision Autry [who averaged something like 5 ppg in high school] having to play meaningful minutes against ACC-caliber competition.
It's hard to see him playing meaningful minutes against Colgate or whoever, either.

If last year taught us anything, it's not to get too excited about specific slots for players. This kid could complement Lydon and give us amazing outside firepower and benefit us all over the Court:

- He comes in at SF and Lydon moves over to the 4 to spell TR, giving us an extra shooter on the floor;
- He comes at the 3 and Lydon moves to C for talented small-ball lineup;
- He comes in at the 2, Battle goes to the 3 and they run a devastating P/R, P/P ...

If last year taught us anything, it's not to get too excited about specific slots for players. This kid could complement Lydon and give us amazing outside firepower and benefit us all over the Court:

- He comes in at SF and Lydon moves over to the 4 to spell TR, giving us an extra shooter on the floor;
- He comes at the 3 and Lydon moves to C for talented small-ball lineup;
- He comes in at the 2, Battle goes to the 3 and they run a devastating P/R, P/P ...

Agreed. In that scenario, I'd envision Lydon being the 6th man / super scoring sub who would be able to spell all three frontcourt positions. Lots of versatility / interchangeable parts.

Agreed. In that scenario, I'd envision Lydon being the 6th man / super scoring sub who would be able to spell all three frontcourt positions. Lots of versatility / interchangeable parts.

Not picking on you RF, you make some valid points, but i think a lot of SU fans are underestimating how good Lydon will be next year. The basketball experts outside of SU certainly aren't, that's why he's a projected top 15 pick in most places.

Lydon shot a higher percentage from 3, had more steals, more blocks and grabbed more rebounds than Marquese Chriss last year and they are the same size. The only thing he didn't do as well is shoot as a high percentage from 2. I don't see how he doesn't play 35-40 minutes.

Not picking on you RF, you make some valid points, but i think a lot of SU fans are underestimating how good Lydon will be next year. The basketball experts outside of SU certainly aren't, that's why he's a projected top 15 pick in most places.

Lydon shot a higher percentage from 3, had more steals, more blocks and grabbed more rebounds than Marquese Chriss last year and they are the same size. The only thing he didn't do as well is shoot as a high percentage from 2. I don't see how he doesn't play 35-40 minutes.

I don't underestimate him--at all. I think he'll be our best or second best [depending on how good Battle proves to be] player next year.

If anything, I think people might be underestimating how difficult it might be to play an effective lineup without a legitimate small forward, playing two power forwards next to a pair of centers who are chained to the block. Some think Lydon will excel as a combo forward; I'm not so sure. That's not a knock on him--obviously, the kid can stretch the floor. But in the event that we were able to land a kid like White [and I'm not saying that we will or that we'd even get involved], I'd have to think he'd jump to the top of the line at the 3, given the personnel.

I see Lydon as playing more minutes at C again than Coleman if White were to come here, while also backing up Roberson and spelling White. Lydon is going to play 35 or so minutes next year, on that we both agree. Whether he starts or not is irrelevant. Given what we've seen about Lydon's attitude and ability to contribute, I just happen to think that he is better suited to contribute at a high level off of the bench than Roberson would be, or by the sounds of things how this White kid would be. Again, hypothetically if White were to come here.

Last edited:
Lydon as 6th man is a house-wrecker. He might even be more devastating than Dion, because he can sub 3 positions and we don't lose anything offensively or defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom