Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is about JS we all were waiting 3 years for JS to have a huge breakout game. He finally did against Arkansas. And I thought every game after that he would be just as good. He was excellent in that game and a great player. But honestly, his shooting was a little streaky.

Southerland carried us in that Big East tournament until the Louisville game where MCW got deer in headlights...

Lots of posts here on Lydon/battle etc and this isn't directed at you particularly, but while Lydon starts the year as our best player, I think battle will have that title securely by year end. And that isn't a slight on Lydon who will be a lottery pick. Battle is that good.

Doubt it. But we cut the nets down if that happens.

Southerland carried us in that Big East tournament until the Louisville game where MCW got deer in headlights...

The way we played Lville that year was why I thought that team always had a chance to make some noise. We beat them at Lville, we were a play or two away from beating them at the Dome and then in the BET we were controlling them for a while before the wheels came off the bus. If we had beaten Michigan that would have been an epic 4th matchup.

Probably old news but JB seems to like this team:

Jim Boeheim Says Taurean Thompson Adds Depth to Syracuse Frontcourt

Boeheim was already optimistic about his team for this season -- "We're probably in much better position heading into this year than we were last year and last year turned out pretty good," he told SNY.tv in May -- and now he's even happier about what's ahead.

"Pretty good," he said with a laugh. "I like our team. The big guy [Chukwu]'s pretty good. He can block shots. He can block a lot of shots."

On top of adding Chukwu, Moyer and Thompson, Syracuse also brings in guards Tyus Battle of St. Joe's-Metuchen and graduate transfer John Gillon.

"[Frank] Howard's gotten better, Tyler [Lydon]'s gotten better, Tyus Battle's a very good player," Boeheim said.

"We might get somebody else," Boeheim said, possibly referring to 6-7 Nebraska transfer Andrew White, who recently visited campus. White told SNY.tv on Thursday that he has yet to decide.

"Had a really good visit with my parents at Syracuse,'' White told the Post-Standard. "The coaches seem to have a pretty good playing situation, along with a chance to win big.''

Lots of posts here on Lydon/battle etc and this isn't directed at you particularly, but while Lydon starts the year as our best player, I think battle will have that title securely by year end. And that isn't a slight on Lydon who will be a lottery pick. Battle is that good.
Not sure what to expect from Battle. I could see him breaking out like you say. But I could also see him having a tentative personality and not quite there yet mentally, which in turn could cause him to struggle a bit at times.

He could have easily dominated his competition in high school and he didn't. I don't know if that was by design (my hope) or if he has a motivation problem. We'll see.

Not sure what to expect from Battle. I could see him breaking out like you say. But I could also see him having a tentative personality and not quite there yet mentally, which in turn could cause him to struggle a bit at times.

He could have easily dominated his competition in high school and he didn't. I don't know if that was by design (my hope) or if he has a motivation problem. We'll see.

I think the odds are definitely in favor of Battle doing very well for us next year, but as a true freshman not named Carmelo Anthony, it's to be expected that he'll have off nights. Remember how rampant the rumors were of Mal having motivation problems before the start of last season (along with the thought that he wasn't much more than a chucker)?

He's really quick. And he's very good going left. And his cross over dribble first step to the basket is amazing. And his pull up jumper is going to break ankles like Kembla Walker did. He's pretty good!

I think the odds are definitely in favor of Battle doing very well for us next year, but as a true freshman not named Carmelo Anthony, it's to be expected that he'll have off nights. Remember how rampant the rumors were of Mal having motivation problems before the start of last season (along with the thought that he wasn't much more than a chucker)?
and Mal had some brutal off nights. His day against St. John's might have single handedly lost that game, not that anyone else was doing anything. Even if Battle is "better," he will struggle at some point. Bringing in White makes TB a 3rd option, taking a ton of pressure away and allowing him to ease into D1. Its a win for him and our team.

I don't think that motivation / assertiveness will be an issue. Now, he may not fully break out as a frosh in year 1, either, but I think the attitude matches the skill set with this kid. Would love to have him around for 2 years, but not counting on that. I truly believe that he is a transcendent offensive talent-caliber recruit.

I don't remember Southerland as a bad defender at all. He was on the backline of possibly our greatest defensive team ever so he couldn't have been mediocre.

He was excellent, one of the best forward zone defenders Boeheim's ever had. Not a great rebounder, but way above average in every other area.

Some people look for blocked shots as the main criterion for being a good defender (which is why Wes Johnson is inexplicably mentioned as a great Syracuse defensive forward from time to time). It's all about positioning and anticipation, and Southerland was highly developed in those areas as a junior and senior.

Here's a big FYI. I drove passed the Miami campus yesterday and put a big hex on their program. It's all Orange from here. AW, make it happen.
Well done! Besides, there's only one orange.
518128TVNYL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors