Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 48 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see Williams--who was like a poor man's Magic. Tracy Murray isn't bad.

Shifting this to an entirely SU related comparison, he reminds me of a thicker / stronger Wes Johnson. Shooter, athletic, pretty good rebounder, not much off the bounce.
I like your comparison to Glen Rice in that they have a similar body type, natural position and score primarily from three and jump shots. I see what you're saying about Wes but he is in another universe athletically.

I like your comparison to Glen Rice in that they have a similar body type, natural position and score primarily from three and jump shots. I see what you're saying about Wes but he is in another universe athletically.

Don't disagree. Wes was an unbelievable athlete. Tough to compare anybody to that.

Nichols, maybe? But bigger?

Just to summarize a couple of topics:
  • I agree with several posters who have mentioned that this kid would make us a final four contender. With White, we'd have the offensive firepower to win it all
  • This last week has been exciting as hell:
    • First, we win the TT sweepstakes
    • Then, we hire an impressive AD
    • Now we're waiting on White--a prospect that could put us over the top next season
  • We could STILL be a top 25-ish team, maybe better, without him. But WITH him, we could be a #1 seed and have the type of season that goes along with that
  • NEED TO REEL THIS PROSPECT IN!!!
Also, I'm curious to hear who White reminds people of. After watching lots of clips, he reminds me of Glen Rice. By no means am I suggesting that he is quite of that caliber, but the similarities are numerous.
  • He's a big bodied kid, with a strong physique
  • Nice jump shot
  • Not much of a dribble game
  • Finisher in transition, if he can get a pass and take a step or two en route to the tin. He isn't going to drive, but he can finish strong
Curious to hear who White's game reminds others of.

A thicker Kris Joseph.

A thicker Kris Joseph.

Nah. Honestly, he's more like a beefier Southy.

AirCanada was pretty good at driving and taking it to the rim, whereas it seems like AW3 is mostly a shooter.
Also, he was a decent defender, whereas Dirty South was meh at best on D - not unlike AW3.
So, the Southerland comp is closer to reality than KrisJo.

Or... Mookie. :p

You've already decided that Battle is starting at the 1 [debatable], that White is starting at the 2 [debatable], and that Lydon is starting at the 3 [debatable]. Not sure what is "flat out wrong" -- it is just a different opinion than the one you are expressing.

I look at that roster [assuming White] and see Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon as four of the five starters.

You look at it and see a different starting backcourt. We'll see.
Lots of posts here on Lydon/battle etc and this isn't directed at you particularly, but while Lydon starts the year as our best player, I think battle will have that title securely by year end. And that isn't a slight on Lydon who will be a lottery pick. Battle is that good.

So the start of the summer session has come and gone, though it certainly didn't seem like it would be a priority to AW. All indications are we're the favorites - even if by the process of elimination. But since he hasn't committed by now, it looks like other visits are in fact happening. UK seems out, though you never know. And VCU may or may not be in play. One thing seems certain - Dave will be counting sheep for the rest of the month.

Odd stats. Shoots 40% and almost no assists. 40% means that he does not take bad shots, he is not a chucker, but where are the assists? Is he an unskilled passer or did the rest of his team suck?

Lots of posts here on Lydon/battle etc and this isn't directed at you particularly, but while Lydon starts the year as our best player, I think battle will have that title securely by year end. And that isn't a slight on Lydon who will be a lottery pick. Battle is that good.
As long as that "year end" takes place in Glendale on a Monday night in April!!!

So the start of the summer session has come and gone, though it certainly didn't seem like it would be a priority to AW. All indications are we're the favorites - even if by the process of elimination. But since he hasn't committed by now, it looks like other visits are in fact happening. UK seems out, though you never know. And VCU may or may not be in play. One thing seems certain - Dave will be counting sheep for the rest of the month.

Considering how late he got his release, I don't think he planned on taking summer classes.

White makes us an amazing team. He adds so much diversity and firepower. He instantly makes everyone better by providing another pressure point.

Having said that JG was the critical addition.

This team has sweet 16 written all over it. With white we have a punchers chance to beat any team in the country and become an extremely difficult out.

Nah. Honestly, he's more like a beefier Southy.

AirCanada was pretty good at driving and taking it to the rim, whereas it seems like AW3 is mostly a shooter.
Also, he was a decent defender, whereas Dirty South was meh at best on D - not unlike AW3.
So, the Southerland comp is closer to reality than KrisJo.

Or... Mookie. :p

I don't remember Southerland as a bad defender at all. He was on the backline of possibly our greatest defensive team ever so he couldn't have been mediocre.

I don't remember Southerland as a bad defender at all. He was on the backline of possibly our greatest defensive team ever so he couldn't have been mediocre.

Agreed. He wasn't the greatest rebounder but he covered ground quickly for a wing, doing an excellent job contesting jumpers. He was also a pretty good weakside help defender when he collapsed back down.

Glen Rice? Glen Rice? Please.

The second summer session may not have any of the graduate courses he needs. It means nothing. His registration deadline is 8/1.

There are 2 Daves. Me or the other guy?

Last edited:
The day Mr. White has this kind of game is when I'll say he was better than Southy. He had one the smoothest strokes and a 38" vert. Until then let's wait and see.

The thing is about JS we all were waiting 3 years for JS to have a huge breakout game. He finally did against Arkansas. And I thought every game after that he would be just as good. He was excellent in that game and a great player. But honestly, his shooting was a little streaky.

White makes us an amazing team. He adds so much diversity and firepower. He instantly makes everyone better by providing another pressure point.

Having said that JG was the critical addition.

This team has sweet 16 written all over it. With white we have a punchers chance to beat any team in the country and become an extremely difficult out.

The last four games of the NCAA tournament are like 50/50 bets. To win a NC you have take four coins and throw them all at once and have them all come up heads. It's not impossible, but it's very hard to do. There's a lot of luck involved. That said, AW3 certainly puts us into a position where we can throw our coins!

The second summer session may not have any of the graduate courses he needs. It means nothing. His registration deadline is 8/1.

There are 2 Daves. Me or the other guy?
... the one doing the countdown ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online