Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys we are loaded without this kid. Landing TT and JG was critical. Yes White would be a great addition if the chemistry is solid which it probably is if JB offered.

Are you saying we aren't going to get him?

I have no insight or idea. Kid transferred twice. Didnt leave Nebraska on good terms. Seems to be just a tad self centered

Im concerned that this kid although a good player might not be much of a teammate.

There's definitely some compelling evidence to the contrary on that. When he left Kansas, head coach Bill Self raved about what a great kid, hard worker, and selfless teammate White was. Paraphrasing, he said something along the lines that even though he was transferring, White would always be welcome back to their program with open arms, in any capacity, down the road because he was such a great kid.

That's a far cry from the standard boiler plate press release when players usually transfer - "we wish him the best in future endeavors..."

Somebody also posted a video from mid-season last year, with White gearing up for the Maryland game [they were ranked #2 at the time]. Interspersed with the game footage, they also had interviews with some of his teammates. One of them in particular was a guard who had swapped numbers with White. During the year White had to redshirt as a transfer, he asked the kid early on if he could have #3, and the guy rebuffed the idea. Why would he want to give up his number? But over the course of the next year, the player said that White proved to be one of the greatest teammates he ever had, and a good friend, and before the next year, he volunteered to give up #3 so that White could have it.

I'm not suggesting that your concerns are invalid--on paper, I can see how one might reach that conclusion. But like I said, there seems to be quite a bit of contradictory evidence from his past coaches and teammates that suggests otherwise.

I don't blame this kid one bit for seeking to exploit the fifth-year transfer rule to land at a contending program--he's earned that as a graduate. But I don't take that as "evidence" that he doesn't play well with others on the court, nor him transferring from Kansas as a sign that he's all about himself or strictly out to get his. He left Kansas because he was stuck behind Wiggins, McLemore, and then Oubre. He was a top 50 recruit and didn't want to be a career backup. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Guys we are loaded without this kid. Landing TT and JG was critical. Yes White would be a great addition if the chemistry is solid which it probably is if JB offered.

Thompson is more important for the future, but White is more important for this year. I wouldn't call us loaded without White. We are middle of the pack ACC (5-8) without him. We just don't have enough shooting without White and that is a fatal flaw in this era of basketball.

There's definitely some compelling evidence to the contrary on that. When he left Kansas, head coach Bill Self raved about what a great kid, hard worker, and selfless teammate White was. Paraphrasing, he said something along the lines that even though he was transferring, White would always be welcome back to Lawrence with open arms, in any capacity, down the road because he was such a great kid.

That's a far cry from the standard boiler plate press release when players usually transfer - "we wish him the best in future endeavors..."

Somebody also posted a video from mid-season last year, with White gearing up for the Maryland game [they were ranked #2 at the time]. Interspersed with the game footage, they also had interviews with some of his teammates. One of them in particular was a guard who had swapped numbers with White. During the year White had to redshirt as a transfer, he asked the kid early on if he could have #3, and the guy rebuffed the idea. Why would he want to give up his number? But over the course of the next year, the player said that White proved to be one of the greatest teammates he ever had, and a good friend, and before the next year, he volunteered to give up #3 so that White could have it.

I'm not suggesting that your concerns are invalid--on paper, I can see how one might reach that conclusion. But like I said, there seems to be quite a bit of contradictory evidence from his past coaches and teammates that suggests otherwise.

I don't blame this kid one bit for seeking to exploit the fifth-year transfer rule to land at a contending program--he's earned that as a graduate. But I don't take that as "evidence" that he doesn't play well with others on the court, nor him transferring from Kansas as a sign that he's all about himself or strictly out to get his. He left Kansas because he was stuck behind Wiggins, McLemore, and then Oubre. He was a top 50 recruit and didn't want to be a career backup. Nothing wrong with that.
Thank you. I hadnt read those articles which is why i made the comment about JB offering. After reading your post i really hope wr land him

Thank you. I hadnt read those articles which is why i made the comment about JB offering. After reading your post i really hope wr land him

Like I said, on paper--I could see how someone could reach the conclusion you did. In this case, it seems more like a can't judge a book by the cover situation with White.

Normally, I'd feel the same way about a multi-transfer guy [ironically, Gillon also transferred twice].

JB doesn't put up with malcontents, if AW3 comes in and isn't happy with his role, he will pretty much have to deal with it or just ride the bench. I trust JB that he was very upfront and honest with AW3 about his role - I doubt he feed him BS like he'd play 40mpg or would get 20 shots a game. AW3 should know the deal if he comes here, he realizes he's a very important piece of a loaded team that can make a run in March. Let's face it, Tim Miles isn't exactly JB ...

Thompson is more important for the future, but White is more important for this year. I wouldn't call us loaded without White. We are middle of the pack ACC (5-8) without him. We just don't have enough shooting without White and that is a fatal flaw in this era of basketball.
meh I think people are way overrating this kid. there is a tangible risk taking grad transfers, especially if they think they are coming for an NBA tryout. it could screw with chemistry more than it is worth. i'm all for more talent and yes it would be nice if he comes here, but the success or failure of this season has way more to do with the other unknowns on our roster than whether or not this kid picks us. on a side note, someone should send white a loop video of izzo looking like a total tool at the draft while his prize player fell out of the first round.

meh I think people are way overrating this kid. there is a tangible risk taking grad transfers, especially if they think they are coming for an NBA tryout. it could screw with chemistry more than it is worth. i'm all for more talent and yes it would be nice if he comes here, but the success or failure of this season has way more to do with the other unknowns on our roster than whether or not this kid picks us. on a side note, someone should send white a loop video of izzo looking like a total tool at the draft while his prize player fell out of the first round.

Kids are always auditioning for the Nba, lets be honest, Malachi did a lot of that last year, he is a very talented player, and he is a good perimeter shooter, which we really could use.

I agree we are not top 10 but unless Battle really struglles, Gillon can not play ACC all, 5-8 is not feasable, 500 maybe but I even think we will be better than that. 5-8 is not a tournament team, we will make the tourney, even if the guards struggle.

I agree we are not top 10 but unless Battle really struglles, Gillon can not play ACC all, 5-8 is not feasable, 500 maybe but I even think we will be better than that. 5-8 is not a tournament team, we will make the tourney, even if the guards struggle.
I think the poster means between 5th and 8th place in the acc, which could very well be a tournament team.

Also probably an emphasis on "team" rebounding at the end of the year, where everyone seemed to be going after everything and good things happening because of that.

Having to do that takes away your fast break, though. Hopefully we have enough natural rebounding to be able to unleash the guards to get down the floor. Battle and Gillon are most effective running at the rim, not in the half court.

I just don't think he has a 2G game. I love White's capabilities, but a guy who doesn't dribble, make plays off of the bounce, or pass the ball effectively probably doesn't fit at guard. Really, his only skill that projects to guard is outside shooting; not much else in his game suggests guard.

Funny, but that sounds a lot like Jason Cipolla or Marius Janulis. LOL

No, we need one more 3 point shooter, and a proven one. This kid might not play 38 minutes a game for us, but he could play 28-30, and he could be a terrific spot up shooter for when Battle or Gillon drives the lane.

I think the poster means between 5th and 8th place in the acc, which could very well be a tournament team.

5-8? Since when are we playing only 13 games in the ACC. Enlighten me or back to 2nd grade.

Interesting article. Having read that, I'm pretty certain AW is intelligent and insightful. This will NOT be an emotional decision or entirely ego driven (of course, there is always ego involved, but he didn't come off as "me first" in that article).

AW is weighing out how he will be used in the system, what impact his transfer will have on the chemistry of the team, and how likely the chances are that the team he picks will have a deep tournament run. The NBA told him there were concerns about why his team played so "poorly," so winning big on his new team will be part of the equation.

This all seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm hoping for an announcement on Monday. I don't see the fit at State; too many similar players. If he wants to take another visit after that (i.e., Louisville), then I feel like we won't get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom