Class of 2018 - SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SG/SF Buddy Boeheim SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

PS--we'll never know whether Tyler Bertram would have come here, because SU didn't actively pursue him. If they had, maybe the local prospect would have come here DESPITE those guys being ahead of him. And maybe he'd be able to carve out a niche and put together a solid career even if he had to wait his turn, a la Lazarus Sims.

I respect your opinion, but on this topic I just disagree. Top 100 players today don't want to sit, they want to play. Tyler Bertram didn't get pursued because we had four other guards higher on our list, but I don't think he would have come here anyways. Occasionally you get a player that truly is infatuated with SU (Howard Washington) but the only reason he was interested is because there were only 3 guards on the roster at that time.

And Lazarus Sims played at SU 22 years ago. Times have changed and so has recruiting. Players that are good enough to play at SU don't want to be the 10th man, much less the 14th man on the roster.

I respect your opinion, but on this topic I just disagree. Top 100 players today don't want to sit, they want to play. Tyler Bertram didn't get pursued because we had four other guards higher on our list, but I don't think he would have come here anyways. Occasionally you get a player that truly is infatuated with SU (Howard Washington) but the only reason he was interested is because there were only 3 guards on the roster at that time.

And Lazarus Sims played at SU 22 years ago. Times have changed and so has recruiting. Players that are good enough to play at SU don't want to be the 10th man, much less the 14th man on the roster.

We definitely disagree -- which is fine.

Planning to have an 11 player roster is inviting unnecessary risk, as evidenced by our unlucky streak of injuries in recent years, with compromised depth. Making the same mistake year after year is the definition of insanity -- especially when it's avoidable. I also believe that some of the "analysis" you're providing is armchair psychology -- you're speaking in generalities about what recruits factor into their evaluative criteria.

If you don't like the Laz comparison, then substitute Rakim Christmas -- a guy who was a token starter early, and then exploded as a senior, despite getting limited PT early in his career.

Times HAVE changed, and our recruiting philosophy needs to change, too. As evidenced by recent situations like Quade Greene and Jordan Tucker, locking into recruits and putting all eggs in one basket is probably not the best strategy anymore. We need to do a better job both building depth and managing the roster year-over-year -- especially given how the recruiting landscape has changed.

Think it is probably best just to agree to disagree, respectfully.

Last edited:
if buddy is to be seen as an equal, who deserves to be on the court just as much as anyone else, and not just there because he is the coach's son

then he absolutely does need to be on scholarship

and on top of that, he deserves it

Sure, but if we can get an extra kid on the roster, do you think Boeheim would be OK with paying for Buddy for a year or two?

Agreed.

Let’s talk about something less controversial now, like “did Rian Johnson ruin Star Wars forever with episode VIII?” You go first! :rolleyes:

Yes, he did.
They've got one shot to make this right, and correct all the errors of Episode 8, or they will lose the fandom.

Solo was a disaster. It was a damn Woody Harrelson movie, not a Star Wars movie.

Sure, but if we can get an extra kid on the roster, do you think Boeheim would be OK with paying for Buddy for a year or two?

I'm willing to bet anyone who thinks Buddy is going to redshirt at any point during his Syracuse career.

It's not going to happen.

Yes but it takes a lot to manage all these guys as it is. He is not used to a full roster. Too many guys could actually be bad for chemistry.

I'm willing to bet anyone who thinks Buddy is going to redshirt at any point during his Syracuse career.

It's not going to happen.
I think you read his post wrong?

Yes but it takes a lot to manage all these guys as it is. He is not used to a full roster. Too many guys could actually be bad for chemistry.

Let them sort it out on the court, so long as he gives 10 of them a chance during November and December.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom