Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 143 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

This is not a knock on you Rf, but I am so tired of hearing the "If we miss out on so and so" we should get so and so. We are Syracuse, we need to start landing some big fish, and stop settling for guys.

Agreed. But if we don't land Tucker [which looks increasingly likely], then we have to figure out a viable alternative.

I don't love Battle at the 3, but absent landing a legit SF, we may have to roll with a funky lineup.

Down here in Raleigh they were talking about Duke/UNC missing out on Knox on ESPN radio. Drew a parallel to K missing out on Harrison Barnes back in '09, and how everyone wrote him off and began burying the program; the narrative was K couldn't recruit anymore and it had passed him by. Yet, as they suggested, this recruiting game can be cyclical. Everyone in the area buried K and Duke in '09, and how did that work out?

'17 may not end up great. But keep watch for '18... zombie Boeheim will not die easily, if ever.

Sounds about like 41 players in 41 years. A guy rated 40 is a damn good recruit for us.
I really, really want to disagree. For the "9th best college program," a guy rated 40 is just a guy rated 40.
AP All-Time Top 100

Unfortunately, the state of our program now, we're not a 9th best, and we feel like we need a 40 just to feel good about NCAA tournament chances.

Remember back when we got the co-No. 1 player and the basketball magazines had BillyO next to Alonzo on the covers? For me, that was pretty close to when we had Pearl and DC. My perspective must be skewed, because that sort of thing spoiled me, and i have not been enthusiastic about having to re-calibrate expectations.

I really, really want to disagree. For the "9th best college program," a guy rated 40 is just a guy rated 40.
AP All-Time Top 100

Unfortunately, the state of our program now, we're not a 9th best, and we feel like we need a 40 just to feel good about NCAA tournament chances.

Remember back when we got the co-No. 1 player and the basketball magazines had BillyO next to Alonzo on the covers? For me, that was pretty close to when we had Pearl and DC. My perspective must be skewed, because that sort of thing spoiled me, and i have not been enthusiastic about having to re-calibrate expectations.

As a Syracuse fan I expect 25 wins, a top 4 conference finish, and at least a sweet 16 every year. Anything worse than that is worse than JB's average year. We are headed on year 4 at being worse than JB's average year.

We haven't even won an ACC tournament game yet. We have been the Providence of the ACC since we joined.

I just want talent like Tucker to be able to compete with the elite schools like we used to. With our current roster you can just about guarantee 10 losses already on next years schedule.

AP All-Time Top 100

Other than Melo, we haven't had a really top tier recruit since Owens.

So, basically 4 elite guys in 40+ years -
But you somehow are expecting more?

As a Syracuse fan I expect 25 wins, a top 4 conference finish, and at least a sweet 16 every year. Anything worse than that is worse than JB's average year. We are headed on year 4 at being worse than JB's average year.

We haven't even won an ACC tournament game yet. We have been the Providence of the ACC since we joined.

I just want talent like Tucker to be able to compete with the elite schools like we used to. With our current roster you can just about guarantee 10 losses already on next years schedule.
I assume you mean Providence when Pitino was coaching, as he led them to the Final Four in his third year and lost to a conference foe.

Oshae Brissett says hi. He also wanted to remind you that it's only May.

Brissett is nice and a great underrated prospect, but finding underrated guys like him isn't going to happen every year.
As good as he is we can't rely on situations like that each year. Frankly we are lucky he was stuck in Canada.

I've stuck up for the staff and coach Boeheim in most instances, but I think it's fair to criticize our recruiting this year.

I'm not going to be happy if we sign 2 grad students and Win 8-10 conference games next year(another mediocre season).If you want to wager me money on how many wins we have next year once the roster is set I will gladly take you up on that.

We need to start signing guys like Jordan Tucker or recruits are eventually going to stop looking at us as an elite school.

FWIW, there are people that are close to Tucker that think Syracuse is the better school for him. For all of the reasons that we think they are. If we can get him home from duke without a commitment, we would have a chance. But I doubt it.

Brissett is nice and a great underrated prospect, but finding underrated guys like him isn't going to happen every year.
As good as he is we can't rely on situations like that each year. Frankly we are lucky he was stuck in Canada.

I've stuck up for the staff and coach Boeheim in most instances, but I think it's fair to criticize our recruiting this year.

I'm not going to be happy if we sign 2 grad students and Win 8-10 conference games next year(another mediocre season).If you want to wager me money on how many wins we have next year once the roster is set I will gladly take you up on that.

We need to start signing guys like Jordan Tucker or recruits are eventually going to stop looking at us as an elite school.

I'm guessing that Brissett will have a better college career than Tucker (regardless of who does or doesn't get drafted, or when it happens). JB has carved out a HOF career finding talent like Brissett. However, I do agree with your point about signing consensus top 10 type talent.

The Brissett highlight film that I saw is very unimpressive. I hope that he has better highlights than what i saw, which was mostly a bunch of putbacks of his own missed shots with no ability to create his own shot. Maybe someone can set me straight by posting a better highlight film.

The Brissett highlight film that I saw is very unimpressive. I hope that he has better highlights than what i saw, which was mostly a bunch of putbacks of his own missed shots with no ability to create his own shot. Maybe someone can set me straight by posting a better highlight film.
I think brissett is going to be very good. And quickly.

FWIW, there are people that are close to Tucker that think Syracuse is the better school for him. For all of the reasons that we think they are. If we can get him home from duke without a commitment, we would have a chance. But I doubt it.

I feel like this is the equivalent of me getting an SU offer. I wouldn't have cared if it was the worst decision of my life I'd have been going to SU even if I had to ditch my parents and live in the woods till I could hit campus.

All the common sense in the world points to more opertunity at SU but I'm not sure it means anything in the end.

I feel like this is the equivalent of me getting an SU offer. I wouldn't have cared if it was the worst decision of my life is have going to SU even if I had to ditch my parents and live in the woods till I could hit campus.

All the common sense in the world points to more opertunity at SU but I'm not sure it means anything in the end.
I agree.

AP All-Time Top 100

Our program is about a great coach who, on occasion, has had great players.

I disagree

Short-terms gain (notoriety, instant gratification at Duke) vs. longer-term gain (playing time, priority in offense at SU).

Both schools offer great coaching, similar caliber of playing experiences/venues, but which program is best apt to provide the reps that will allow for maximum readiness when it comes to thriving at the NBA level?

This should not simply be about becoming a first-round pick. That's absolutely a terrific accomplishment. But there is so much more.

And I am not saying SU is the clear-but choice. Duke alums have done more at the NBA level. But is that because of their volume of 5-stars and top picks? Maybe. Probabaly. But not solely.

This is a tough one. But for me, the reps SU offers, as opposed to being option #4-8 at Duke, would be a differentiator in this grand equation. Reps matter.

Just curious, but how are Gonzaga's classes rated the last few years? Wisconsin's? Oregon's?, Villanova's? Butler's? My point is that it doesn't take the highest rated players to play in the final four. It's chemistry, fit, coaching, and experience. Maybe the recruiting perspective is like that saying: "The older I get, the better I was." The past couple of years were disappointing but we never recruited consistently the way a lot of you think we did. We had some great classes once in a while, though...