Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

I know the chances are small but what if we get Tucker and then Lydon returns, all of a sudden things are looking up. Battle at the 2, Tucker at the 3, Lydon at the 4, Thompson at the 5 hmmmmm
Yeah, then Frank better be in counseling and taking 500 shots per day and watching non stop videos of Sherm. Oh, maybe have Sherm work with him for a week or perhaps 5 months?

Yeah, then Frank better be in counseling and taking 500 shots per day and watching non stop videos of Sherm. Oh, maybe have Sherm work with him for a week or perhaps 5 months?

I have it on good authority (Frank) that Frank is going to be great next year and if you don't believe that you better be ready to fight.

Last edited:
I have it on good authority (Frank) that Frank is going to be great next year and if you don't believe that you better be ready to fight me.

Fighting is for snowflakes. Seeing is believing

I know the chances are small but what if we get Tucker and then Lydon returns, all of a sudden things are looking up. Battle at the 2, Tucker at the 3, Lydon at the 4, Thompson at the 5 hmmmmm
What did i miss? I thought he signed with an agent... Maybe i'm behind in my reading...

Maybe Lydon doesn't want to spend another year playing significant minutes at center and/or playing hurt. But again, why doesn't he just sign with an agent then?

Heck with those 4 in the game just give me Washington at point and let him distribute...frank can watch from the bench and that would be just fine! Or ayala can run point and that would be fine too...heck let's even throw in autry jr and he would probably distribute the ball to those 4 better then frank. (Kidding kind of...kind of serious)

What did i miss? I thought he signed with an agent... Maybe i'm behind in my reading...

No he has not signed. He also appears to moving down in some of the mock drafts. Insiders have said that he's not coming back no matter what though. So, wait and see. On a side note, unless I missed something, I still have not seen an official announcement that Griffin has been hired, but it is being taken as absolutely done.

We became the favorite for this kid the Friday after Hopkins left. We need a better visit this time. If this kid commits it will be the work of Jim Boeheim being more involved in recruiting. It is not any of the assistants for this kid its a JB job.

No he has not signed. He also appears to moving down in some of the mock drafts. Insiders have said that he's not coming back no matter what though. So, wait and see. On a side note, unless I missed something, I still have not seen an official announcement that Griffin has been hired, but it is being taken as absolutely done.
I wonder if this has to do with his age and desire to play in the NBA or based on his grades and not wanting to handle the trials of day to day college life. Tyler seems like a smart person however if the focus is on going to the NBA, then going to school would be a drudgery.

We became the favorite for this kid the Friday after Hopkins left. We need a better visit this time. If this kid commits it will be the work of Jim Boeheim being more involved in recruiting. It is not any of the assistants for this kid its a JB job.
Hope you are right. I'm hearing Georgia Tech is still quite possible.

I shouldn't say this but I feel like we are in a good position for him...in all honesty who is ga tech in basketball? This kid wants the spotlight and knows of his choices left syracuse is definitely where he will get it the most...being a NYer I think helps and Oregon he will obviously love his visit and the facilities but he won't get the playing time that he will with us because of who they will have on there roster..JB needs to close this kid hard and get it done and Moyer needs to host him! Or anyone but FH...

In all honesty as a young kid I could see wanting to play for Pastner, young guy can coach and exceeded expectations in his first year. But in all seriousness I feel he's ours for the taking

I shouldn't say this but I feel like we are in a good position for him...in all honesty who is ga tech in basketball? This kid wants the spotlight and knows of his choices left syracuse is definitely where he will get it the most...being a NYer I think helps and Oregon he will obviously love his visit and the facilities but he won't get the playing time that he will with us because of who they will have on there roster..JB needs to close this kid hard and get it done and Moyer needs to host him! Or anyone but FH...

Just to play devil's advocate here...He spent his last year in Atlanta metro so he is familiar with that area and probably the GA Tech program/coaching staff.

Pastner is a very good basketball coach.

GA Tech basketball was really good in late 80's/early 90's under Cremins so to discount their history and ask who is Ga Tech in basketball is a bad idea.

How do you know he is more likely to get minutes at Syracuse than at Oregon as a freshman?

PS-I do hope we land him but not sure why you are discounting GA Tech so much...

Just to play devil's advocate here...He spent his last year in Atlanta metro so he is familiar with that area and probably the GA Tech program/coaching staff.

GA Tech basketball was really good in late 80's/early 90's under Cremins so to discount their history and ask who is Ga Tech in basketball is a bad idea.

How do you know he is more likely to get minutes at Syracuse than at Oregon as a freshman?

PS-I do hope we land him but not sure why you are discounting GA Tech so much...
Just to answer the minutes at SF at cuse vs Oregon. Well he would be the only sf on the roster at Syracuse... so there's a good chance he'd play... a lot... like a whole whole lot. As for cuse vs GTech. They certainly shouldn't be discounted. But the fact that he's in town and hasn't committed to them yet seems to indicate he's looking for something bigger and better. On paper... we seem to be a perfect fit for a kid looking for big minutes at sf at a top program. But... kids do unexpected stuff all the time. Hope we get him.

Last edited:

To play devil's advocate to your devil's advocate... I don't think anybody is stating GA Tech is a terrible program, in fact, they have a lot to like and a lot to offer recruits. However, the idea of "what have you done for me lately" is very applicable to recruits. Assuming Tucker is 18 years old, what has he seen GT do since he's been following college basketball closely, let's say the past 8 years? Chris Bosh, Iman Shumpert, being middle of the pack ACC, bottom half most years? Does he think GT is a fun style to play? Not saying SU's offense is a work of art, but what has GT done the past 5 years, and especially 1 year since the Tuckers have been in Atlanta, to draw them there? I agree with normaliswear in that he's been in ATL for almost a year and hasn't committed... He's had an offer on the table and has visited multiple times, that should tell you something. It's like Thomas Bryant visiting SU 10+ times while living in Rochester and never committing... He was looking for something better the whole time. In Tucker's case, hopefully he sees that SU is the better option for him. Very real possibility he'd start at the 3 and have a medium length leash, maybe a Malachi leash from JB. We need scoring, and I'm sure JB is telling him that.

It wouldn't be totally outrageous to paint Ga. Tech as a program on the rise - an overachiever with a dynamic young coach and a core of talent (Lammers, Okogie, and Tadric Jackson) and Cuse as a program in decline - aging coach, some uncertainty over his expected tenure - and an underachiever this past year. I certainly don;t buy it, but the situation can certainly be spun that way. On the other hand, with Okogie as a true 3 Tucker might be asked to play a considerable number of his minutes as a 4 - not the best fit for his skill set IMHO.

Would be nice to get Ayala in the fold quickly to solidify the backcourt and make next year's team look that much more attractive but even without that the situation and Syracuse looks like the best fit.

Gtech is fully in this race