Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 146 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Short-terms gain (notoriety, instant gratification at Duke) vs. longer-term gain (playing time, priority in offense at SU).

Both schools offer great coaching, similar caliber of playing experiences/venues, but which program is best apt to provide the reps that will allow for maximum readiness when it comes to thriving at the NBA level?

This should not simply be about becoming a first-round pick. That's absolutely a terrific accomplishment. But there is so much more.

And I am not saying SU is the clear-but choice. Duke alums have done more at the NBA level. But is that because of their volume of 5-stars and top picks? Maybe. Probabaly. But not solely.

This is a tough one. But for me, the reps SU offers, as opposed to being option #4-8 at Duke, would be a differentiator in this grand equation. Reps matter.
Weather, proximity to home, etc. are also factors.

I really, really want to disagree. For the "9th best college program," a guy rated 40 is just a guy rated 40.
AP All-Time Top 100

Unfortunately, the state of our program now, we're not a 9th best, and we feel like we need a 40 just to feel good about NCAA tournament chances.

Remember back when we got the co-No. 1 player and the basketball magazines had BillyO next to Alonzo on the covers? For me, that was pretty close to when we had Pearl and DC. My perspective must be skewed, because that sort of thing spoiled me, and i have not been enthusiastic about having to re-calibrate expectations.

Then it's a really good thing that you're not a Georgetown fan.;)

I just noticed Duke got the number 40 (according to the to-fore-seven composite) overall recruit in last year's class, Javin DeLaurier. I'm sure others have heard of him, but I literally had no idea he existed until today (and I spend more time than I probably should following CBB/recruiting).

He played 85 minutes total this year and now 2017 top 10 recruit Wendell Carter is expected to start over him at PF next year.

That's not to say DeLaurier made a mistake or he won't be successful there, but the whole scenario seems somewhat relevant to the Tucker to Duke discussion.
We all know a guy who was in this same position. AW3 was supposed to play for Kansas, but then Ben McLemore appeared. AW3 was then ready to be the guy once he left. Ooops...here comes Andrew Wiggins, and oops, there goes two years of eligibility!

He was hitting everything while throwing money around. Not much decision making.

So, I thought for sure he didn't have me beat, when I had good hands. This is when you could play either 2/5, or 5/10 with no max to sit with. I forget. I probably gave him damn near a thousand, or more.

He was actually pretty good, but was hitting big hands. Wish those big hands didn't throw the ball right to Pittsburgh, but I never brought up basketball.
Love players like that. I'd clean his clock

I just noticed Duke got the number 40 (according to the to-fore-seven composite) overall recruit in last year's class, Javin DeLaurier. I'm sure others have heard of him, but I literally had no idea he existed until today (and I spend more time than I probably should following CBB/recruiting).

He played 85 minutes total this year and now 2017 top 10 recruit Wendell Carter is expected to start over him at PF next year.

That's not to say DeLaurier made a mistake or he won't be successful there, but the whole scenario seems somewhat relevant to the Tucker to Duke discussion.

DeLaurier will transfer after this year. Mark it down.

These kids most people don't think rationally ...
Fixed it. There have been a ton of studies done show that despite people thinking themselves to be rational actors, we're really not. We, as a species, generally don't have a decent grasp on choice, large numbers, or future events. There's a great book called Thinking, Fast and Slow. It's fairly eye opening.

Fixed it. There have been a ton of studies done show that despite people thinking themselves to be rational actors, we're really not. We, as a species, generally don't have a decent grasp on choice, large numbers, or future events. There's a great book called Thinking, Fast and Slow. It's fairly eye opening.

Is that why I continually look back and my life and think "WTH was I doing"

Fake news. I am THE most rational person. Nobody is more rationaler than me. It's true.

Is that why I continually look back and my life and think "WTH was I doing"
Probably. I do the same thing. The brain is a lazy sumbitch and would rather not think critically if there is a seemingly easy solution present.

Dear Jordan,

"Duke is not for everyone..." Translation, unless you are a Top 15 OAD, or an overachiever with dreams of being an attorney, you probably aren't for us. Unless of course we don't find either of the above and at the 11th hour we bless you with the opportunity to be a one year stop gap.

Pro's:
The opportunity to wear the Duke uniform which may have always been your dream. That reality may not match the dream.

Con's:
Grayson Allen "Sr Yr Prove I belong in the NBA tour"
Minutes as a freshman
Cam Reddish

No one has the track record Syracuse has of getting 20-75 ranked kids to the league (and early) that we do!!! That success...MCW, Ennis, J Grant, T Lydon, and others, is unmatched!!!! Come here, get an early opportunity, develop, and capitalize!!!!!

Come home to the dome!!!!

Tucks, Tyus, Taurean!!!!

-Cuse Nation

Dear Jordan,

"Duke is not for everyone..." Translation, unless you are a Top 15 OAD, or an overachiever with dreams of being an attorney, you probably aren't for us. Unless of course we don't find either of the above and at the 11th hour we bless you with the opportunity to be a one year stop gap.

Pro's:
The opportunity to wear the Duke uniform which may have always been your dream. That reality may not match the dream.

Con's:
Minutes as a freshman
Cam Reddish

No one has the track record Syracuse has of getting 20-75 ranked kids to the league (and early) that we do!!! That success...MCW, Ennis, J Grant, T Lydon, and others, is unmatched!!!! Come here, get an early opportunity, develop, and capitalize!!!!!

Tucks, Tyus, Taurean!!!!

-Cuse Nation

Enjoy your visit...You can date a "10"...but tomorrow you marry an "8" that loves ya!!!!

From the Herald Sun in NC about Tucker visiting Duke:

"Another ACC school Tucker is considering is Georgia Tech."

No mention of Syracuse. I thought that was pretty funny.

Collins was a 5* for zaga and im fairly certain theyre pg was highly rated out of hs.

Thats 2 players and they are right there every year. Even Mickey D players don't always end up better than 3 star guys. I'm just saying that JB has ALWAYS been good at getting the guys he needs with the occassional star mixed in. It's no different now except for he penalties that have hurt more than most apparently realize. The coaching clusterfun didn't help either. We'll be fine for now but I'm not sure we can go 5 more years with JB. Not many older coaches relate to the kids well. Coach K, but he may not even go another two years with his back issues...

Dear Jordan,

Pro's:

Con's:
Minutes as a freshman
Cam Reddish

Tucks, Tyus, Taurean!!!!

-Cuse Nation
Yup, another member of the #brotherhood of Duke 4-5* hoopsters who rode pine, got recruited over, and then left.

And Coach K-lor Swift says to the Juiceman, "I've got a blank space baby, and I'll write your name."

Haven't seen him post a selfie with a Duke uniform on yet. Coach. K prob said "hell no". Not till you sign