Class of 2017 - SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler | Page 153 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG/SF Jordan Tucker (NY / GA) Leaving Duke to Butler

Not sure why you keep bagging on Duke and Durham in general. I would consider it very similar to the city of Syracuse. And as much as I dislike the Duke basketball program, the campus and academics are incredible. Add on top of that finals are over and commencement is this weekend.

Yeah a bit of that going on. Someone made a list of "cons" earlier and threw nightlife out as boring. Really? Obviously never been to Durham... some great spots down here past sundown.

Yeah a bit of that going on. Someone made a list of "cons" earlier and threw nightlife out as boring. Really? Obviously never been to Durham... some great spots down here past sundown.
How often as a student are you hitting up downtown Syracuse? We're not comparing cities here. It's about the campus and general environment. Duke is lame. If he was picking between UNC and Cuse. I wouldn't make the same argument because UNC is a ton of fun

How often as a student are you hitting up downtown Syracuse? We're not comparing cities here. It's about the campus and general environment. Duke is lame. If he was picking between UNC and Cuse. I wouldn't make the same argument because UNC is a ton of fun

Students have shock collars and get zapped when they step off-campus? "General environment" can't include a 5-10 minute drive off campus? Ok.

Great area. Don't sit in your dorm for 4 years.

Agree with you here: Chapel Hill is a blast.

The fact that youre telling the guy who lives down there how wrong he is is amusing to me.

Have you been to CI? It's got history, no doubt. It's also dumpy, although the campus is nice.

I have not.

But if Cameron is small and dumpy then the Carrier Dome is a football stadium that sounds like a morgue unless it fills more than 25k.

The fact that youre telling the guy who lives down there how wrong he is is amusing to me.
Dude, I've been there a few times as a student. I'm no expert but I can tell you what campuses are fun and those that aren't.

Dude, I've been there a few times as a student. I'm no expert but I can tell you what campuses are fun and those that aren't.

That's the thing... a campus is for academics. For fun? Stroll past the campus boundaries.

Much fun is to be had in Durham, NC.

It was posted at the time on a GT site by a respected insider. The insider then talked to a different insider and re-confirmed the silent commit (still contingent on Duke offer). It was alluded to on here a couple times as well. This isn't new info. I assumed this info was known.
hm the gt respected insiders ought to work on their game.
he's not, nor ever was, going to gt

Raleigh and durham are great areas.

Comparing syracuse to raleigh is idiotic, they are not even close to the same...with regards to like anything.
Like comparing Minneapolis to Syracuse when Coyle left...

Comparing syracuse to raleigh is idiotic, they are not even close to the same...with regards to like anything.

I went to a Chili's in the Triangle once. Good times.

Durham much better than Raleigh, though. And, this has nothing to do with Duke Basketball.;)

I went to a Chili's in the Triangle once. Good times.

But have you ever been to Applebee's in CNY?
IMG_6455.GIF

The bigger meltdown will happen if he chooses GT.

Either way their will be a meltdown, if its Gt it will be cause the kid chose a far inferior place to go. If he picks Duke people will be upset that Duke did basically no work to recruit this kid and came out of nowhere to get him.

I've been to Raleigh.. not sure what's so special about it. It's just like every other mid-size southern city not named Atlanta or Charlotte, and it's definitely not as nice as Charleston or Nashville. I'd compare it more to Columbia/Greenville/Asheville (Asheville, minus the hippies) I mean, Raleigh is nice enough, great place to live, but in terms of a young kid - nothing mind blowing.

Let me ask you this though, when you're 19 and are gonna be a "basketball star for a year or two," does it matter if you are in Raleigh vs Syracuse. Take away the school in particular, I am speaking purely from the city perspective. You're still gonna be a star in a town where hoops runs supreme. These kids aren't buying houses and looking at resale values. Being a star on a college campus insulates you from the city.

Last edited:
I've been to Raleigh.. not sure what's so special about it. It's just like every other mid-size southern city not named Atlanta or Charlotte, and it's definitely not as nice as Charleston or Nashville. I'd compare it more to Columbia/Greenville/Asheville (Asheville, minus the hippies) I mean, Raleigh is nice enough, great place to live, but in terms of a young kid - nothing mind blowing.

And I would rather take residence in any of those cities over Syracuse.

And especially over Long Island.

Duke. Aside from despising their anointed hoops program, i have a particular distaste for the way the school seems to program its students. Duke is the only school where when you meet someone who has studied there, they will tell you how great a school it is. As if they're all in charge of marketing Duke. It's obnoxious. You meet people from Harvard, Oxford, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, where ever — they all tend to be almost humble or embarrassed about saying where they studied. Not so much with Duke. I have friends from there, and it's the same thing with each and every one of them. They even do it to Each Other. I vividly remember being in brazil with a good friend. We're crossing a street in Rio, and a young guy in a Duke t-shirt is crossing toward us. My friend stops him, asks if he went to Duke. Kid says Yes. My friend says to him, "Great school, isn't it." Might not come across as bizarre in type as it was in person, but that was just one example. My childhood best friend went to Duke, and while he was there, whenever we spoke, he would just tell me how great it was, even when he was describing stuff that was pretty damned standard and basic. It's cool to have pride, but with them, it's a self-aggrandizing mantra.

Whatever.
I don't think the campus is any great shakes.
Cameron is overrated. It's the students/fanbase that makes it 'something.'
Academics? Depends on the class, professor, program. We have programs better than theirs, and whatever a freshman and sophomore basketball player takes isn't likely to matter either way between Rutgers and Yale.
Personally, i couldn't live in 'the south.' I've got family in NC, and i can't deal with so many of those people...

Gotta love the K line: "Duke isn't for everyone." Such a manipulative piece of work. Like if you walk into a boutique, and Snooty Von Snootington says, 'perhaps Madame Foo Foo isn't for you. There's a Target down the road.' It's sad how effective that kind of line is on the young and weak-minded... K is no genius, but he's smart enough to know how to Jedi Mind Trick the 17-2o year olds. Kind of like how i hate Karl Rove, but have to recognize the brilliance of what he did.

Tucker has to decide between playing a minimal role on a team that will be successful in the ACC and then the NCAAs will be a crapshoot, vs playing a major role on a team that should contend into the top half of the ACC, but not for the title, and then, again, it'll be a crapshoot in the NCAAs. With Duke, the odds are against him ever being a significant cog. Think about how good and important Grayson Allen has been, and he's still there. Think about how Mal started from jump, got a lot of minutes and exposure, and launched after just one year. The opportunity is better at Syracuse. I won't even bring up Georgia Tech... Pointless to go there unless you prioritize home cooking and rap studio visits for your instagram. I truly hope that's not his character. If it is, he's not Orange material.

Rant over. Mamba out.

As someone who lives in NC and has been to all of the cities listed above here is my take:

The Raleigh Durham area is ok, but outside of weather I don't see where it's any more attractive to a young kid than Syracuse.

I'm in Charlotte, and there is great divide between team allegiance, UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake... That's one thing I miss about Syracuse. No division whatsoever. Everyone is all Orange.

I'm biased of course, but if I'm JT and I factored in playing time, location, coaching, and track to NBA, the only category Duke beats us in is location/weather. Syracuse gives him just as good a coach, same league, the Dome, tons of tv coverage, and perhaps a faster NBA track than Duke where he might struggle to get playing time.