Class of 2022 - SG/SF Justin Taylor (VA / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG/SF Justin Taylor (VA / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went ahead and watched this one. As mentioned in the Quadir thread, the feed cuts out with a couple minutes left in OT, but Taylor was pretty dominant in this game. I think he played every single minute (seems like Copeland was pretty much the only one that ever got a break) and he "finished" with:
  • 27 points on 6/9 2P, 3/4 3P, and 6/6 FT shooting for a TS% of 86.3%
  • 3 assists to 1 turnover
  • 1 rebound
  • 2 blocks and 1 steal
He knocked down a few jumpers early on and then in the 2nd half when the team was trailing, he really started to assert himself around the rim, mostly with floaters/short jumpers. He was the guy that lined up at the free throw line whenever Speights Academy went to a zone and he regularly got the ball and attacked from there. Would definitely like to see him tighten up his handle; he only had 1 turnover but he lost his handle a lot and you can tell his ball-handling prevents him from being able to take guys off the dribble to an extent. Would also like to see him mix it up on the glass more. But having said that, extremely efficient offensive game in this one and IMG needed every single one of his points to pull this game out.

Yeah, it is sad. Remember Jesse Edwards?
Bru - tal. (eye roll)
I mean more for the comp. I’m still high on Benny as well. Just wonder if they would have come in slightly more prepared had they gone elsewhere. But I guess you are right. If we have a pipeline to the postgrad team, I’d take Benny and Jesse any day. Others are pendinggggg

I mean more for the comp. I’m still high on Benny as well. Just wonder if they would have come in slightly more prepared had they gone elsewhere. But I guess you are right. If we have a pipeline to the postgrad team, I’d take Benny and Jesse any day. Others are pendinggggg
I do tend to watch these games and feel like these kids must not receive much coaching.

I think Benny only went to IMG because his school wasn't going to play their season due to COVID. The other guys went there to help prepare them for the college game. Theoretically, going to IMG should prepare them better than a traditional school, but I haven't seen the evidence of that based on their Grad Team alumni.

Based on what I’m seeing on the videos JT is light years ahead of Buddy or Jimmy.
Much more athletic and way ahead of JAB’s boys even now at the high school level.
Just my opinion, but my eyes are old, so jmho.
Help me to understand your post. Are you saying that Taylor is light years ahead of a guy that was first team all ACC? That carried us to the sweet 16 last year? I would love, love, love that to be true. But I doubt it. Or do you mean as a athlete? Help me understand. I am not sure that Taylor is as good a shooter as Jimmy. Let alone Buddy.

Help me to understand your post. Are you saying that Taylor is light years ahead of a guy that was first team all ACC? That carried us to the sweet 16 last year? I would love, love, love that to be true. But I doubt it. Or do you mean as a athlete? Help me understand. I am not sure that Taylor is as good a shooter as Jimmy. Let alone Buddy.
100% has to be strictly athleticism that he is referring to.

Probably referring to his development to this point versus buddy and jimmys at the same point. Freshman v freshman. Think he is indicating way more potential upside over his career then either Buddy or Jimmy.

Buddy was first team all ACC and that is an incredible accomplishment considering he was usually the worst athlete on the floor whenever he played. It’s a testament to his hard work and understanding of the game. Taylor is definitely a big step up in athleticism compared to the Boeheim bros.

Probably referring to his development to this point versus buddy and jimmys at the same point. Freshman v freshman. Think he is indicating way more potential upside over his career then either Buddy or Jimmy.
He specifically said "even now at the HS level" so I think he was making the comparison to this past year's version of the Boeheims.

We dont need JT to replace BB. Need to him to hit some threes even if not same %. Need him to be able to get to rim, distrute ball and get some steals, tips and rebounds. He looks like he can play and contribute. Hopefully we throw some press at teams this year and run more. Like the kids size, strength and athletism but dont expect him to go 1:1 all game like BB did and have people stand around and watch. If we have G/F who can drive and kick to wide open guys that also helps.

I’m amazed at how much our fan base on this board is sleeping on Justin. If you look back when we first saw clips of him and offered, everyone on this board was thinking he was going to Virginia and we had no chance to get him. People were amazed at his film. The whole perception of him changed when he could not buy a three pointer at the Covid peach jam. Shooting slumps happen.
I am high on this kid. I think he is our second best recruit in this class. There is no question he is more athletic than buddy. Does that mean he will have a career as good as buddy? Of course not Buddy is a first team all ACC for a reason. But that is a different question than what kind of prospect he is and what kind of career he can have at Syracuse.
I see a very athletic kid who can get to the basket and shoot from outside. My educated guess is that his shot will continue to improve with the coaching we have. I think the team he was on at IMG was a disappointment and not particularly well coached and deteriorated into a team with a bunch of players trying to get theirs instead of playing as teammates. As a result Taylor didn’t get as much publicity this year so he is not as hyped. I am very optimistic that we are going to see a great addition to the program.

Yes, I was primarily referring to his athleticism.
I understand highlight videos are often a contrived appearance of the true ability of any of their subjects. That said I have high hopes for this young man, time will tell.

I think he is our most critical recruit because if he cant get it done we will really be hurting for three point shooting.

As it is, we will get little or no three point shooting from at least two starters (Bennie and Jesse). We have only Joe as a proven trey threat. Minsk should help, but three point shooting should not be his primary role.

I don’t know he looks like a Buddy, Trevor and Andy mix. I hate when people compare players based on their skin color. It’s stupid and lazy. Although to be fair he actually looks like Buddy. Taylor isn’t replacing Buddy, Judah Mintz will be.

I’m amazed at how much our fan base on this board is sleeping on Justin. If you look back when we first saw clips of him and offered, everyone on this board was thinking he was going to Virginia and we had no chance to get him. People were amazed at his film. The whole perception of him changed when he could not buy a three pointer at the Covid peach jam. Shooting slumps happen.
I am high on this kid. I think he is our second best recruit in this class. There is no question he is more athletic than buddy. Does that mean he will have a career as good as buddy? Of course not Buddy is a first team all ACC for a reason. But that is a different question than what kind of prospect he is and what kind of career he can have at Syracuse.
I see a very athletic kid who can get to the basket and shoot from outside. My educated guess is that his shot will continue to improve with the coaching we have. I think the team he was on at IMG was a disappointment and not particularly well coached and deteriorated into a team with a bunch of players trying to get theirs instead of playing as teammates. As a result Taylor didn’t get as much publicity this year so he is not as hyped. I am very optimistic that we are going to see a great addition to the program.
He’s the freshman I think has the most promise of being a day 1 contributor, outside of Mintz. But he’ll still be a freshman. Buddy was the 7th man his freshman year. Taylor may need to start because we don’t have anyone else. It’s a lot to expect of a freshman. I really wish JB had the good sense to find a high level transfer as the starting forward to play opposite Benny.

Last edited:
He’s the freshman I think has the most promise of being a day 1 contributor, outside of Mintz. But he’ll still be a freshman. Buddy was the 7th man his freshman year. Taylor may need to start. It’s a lot to expect of a freshman.
Yep, a lot is riding on Taylor and Bunch. I’ve generally been more pro-Taylor, though I will say the larger sample size I was able to find of Chris Bunch’s numbers makes me feel at least a little bit better about him. Still isn’t great shooting percentages but over the larger sample size I found, he got up to like 52% on 2 pointers and 32% on 3’s. Not nearly as bad as his NIBC numbers were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom