Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

I hardly think firing a coach before season's end is "professional", and it certainly seems like the weirdest "favor" I've ever heard of. You act as if all the "benefits" described in your point "2" would not be there if Coyle had simply waited a week.

And as far as a plan, that remains to be seen. Gross had a plan too, twice.

I think there are different interpretations of "professional". If you disagree that's fine, but I think most people think this is being handled well. I don't quite understand what greater morality would be served by waiting another 6 days, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Your last point is nonsensical. If I'm understanding you correctly, because plans made by other people in the past have not worked well, the new guy is now... not supposed to have a plan? Keep a coach he believes is not as good as another he can hire? What are you arguing for, it's very unclear to me.

IF...we were going after Frost, is it allowable to announce he is taking the job before he leaves Oregon? Sorry for dumb question.

IF...we were going after Frost, is it allowable to announce he is taking the job before he leaves Oregon? Sorry for dumb question.
Pretty rare, but not crazy, would most likely be done before Bowl Games and after Conf. Championships.

I think there are different interpretations of "professional". If you disagree that's fine, but I think most people think this is being handled well. I don't quite understand what greater morality would be served by waiting another 6 days, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Your last point is nonsensical. If I'm understanding you correctly, because plans made by other people in the past have not worked well, the new guy is now... not supposed to have a plan? Keep a coach he believes is not as good as another he can hire? What are you arguing for, it's very unclear to me.
I'm arguing that firing a coach before the last game is a low-class move that SS doesn't deserve. The only justification for not waiting a few more days is that you're compelled to do so in order to hire someone stellar .. that can reverse our massive talent deficit. That, you could argue, might serve the greater good. If not, I don't see the justification.

Would probably have to be after this weekend. Last game and all.

I hardly think firing a coach before season's end is "professional", and it certainly seems like the weirdest "favor" I've ever heard of. You act as if all the "benefits" described in your point "2" would not be there if Coyle had simply waited a week.

And as far as a plan, that remains to be seen. Gross had a plan too, twice.

Coach Shafer met with Coyle last week. And forced the issue. Hope that clears up your concern.

I'm arguing that firing a coach before the last game is a low-class move that SS doesn't deserve. The only justification for not waiting a few more days is that you're compelled to do so in order to hire someone stellar .. that can reverse our massive talent deficit. That, you could argue, might be the greater good. If not, I don't see the justification.

I hear you. We have different defintions of "low class".

Coach Shafer met with Coyle last week. And forced the issue. Hope that clears up your concern.
So... you're saying SS demanded to know the decision in advance? If so, maybe that goes to Scooch's point that the early timing was a benefit to him in changing jobs.

Still, couldn't Coyle have simply said, "wait a week. We'll talk after BC"?

Just a couple of things.

1) No scorched earth exit like Marrone pulled

2) Would not be be surprised if Shafer, within reason, will encourage kids to honor their commitments.

3)Wouldn't be surprised to see Shafer take a year off and watch his son Wolfgang play ball. $ shouldn't be an issue.

4) Already being reported that a new coach will be able to keep whatever assistants he wants.

Last edited:
So... you're saying SS demanded to know the decision in advance?

Shafer is a protector. Didn't want and doesn't want the kids to have to deal with this. Control the controllable's. I feel you may be just trying to justify this to yourself. Everyone understands the type of guy shafer is.

Just a couple of things.

1) No scorched earth exit like Marrone pulled

2) Would be surprised if Shafer, within reason, will encourage kids to honor their commitments.

3) Wouldn't be surprised to see Shafer take a year off and watch his son Wolfgang play ball. $ shouldn't be an issue.

4) Already being reported that a new coach will be able to keep whatever assistants he wants.

Would or Wouldnt be?

Shafer is a protector. Didn't want and doesn't want the kids to have to deal with this. Control the controllable's. I feel you may be just trying to justify this to yourself. Everyone understands the type of guy shafer is.
Not justifying anything. I've seen the writing on the wall here. My point is .. let's be classy. It matters how we treat staff, even the ones we let go. If this is something SS wanted, so be it. No scorched earth, as Jake posted. If not, it doesn't seem like waiting a week would have been unreasonable.

But ok .. let's move on. Many other issues to discuss here.

Not justifying anything. I've seen the writing on the wall here. My point is .. let's be classy. It matters how we treat staff, even the ones we let go. If this is something SS wanted, so be it. If not, Coyle should have waited.

Just trying to help. Sorry it didnt.

Good luck in your future endeavors Scott Shafer. You are a good man and nobody can say anything about your character/genuine straight talk. He was first class in these endeavors I take no solace in anybody losing their job.

I have no doubt you will be a successful Defensive Coordinator in football and plenty of coaches have failed in their first stop as a HC. If you become a HC again good luck and as long you don't play or recruit against Syracuse good luck.
Is that what was going on at the last press conference. Bailey knew they fired him and that's why he asked if they talked. Would make sense from coach's response

I'm arguing that firing a coach before the last game is a low-class move that SS doesn't deserve. The only justification for not waiting a few more days is that you're compelled to do so in order to hire someone stellar .. that can reverse our massive talent deficit. That, you could argue, might serve the greater good. If not, I don't see the justification.

As Dalton would say... :)

Just trying to help. Sorry it didnt.
No worries. Actually, I hope you and scooch are right. I'm really not a football guy ... just reacting to the suddenness of this (to me) before the last game. I think whatever we can do to give SS a decent send-off is AOK by me. Class guy.

Still, couldn't Coyle have simply said, "wait a week. We'll talk after BC"?

Sorry, that's not a professional answer, especially when someone straight up asks. It would be akin to asking my boss how I'm doing and she says "let's wait until your review". I know I wouldn't have a good feeling if I heard that. Would you?

edit: saw that all parties dropped this debate. My bad.

Sorry, that's not a professional answer, especially when someone straight up asks. It would be akin to asking my boss how I'm doing and she says "let's wait until your review". I know I wouldn't have a good feeling if I heard that. Would you?

I believe that it would have waited likely due to shafer, but was Accelerated due to leaks of the info and people creating a buzz. For instance I knew Saturday night this was coming. If someone like me knows its time to make the move. IMO

Agree. From an optics standpoint, it (early firing) it seemed harsh. But apparently SS asked and pushed it, and Coyle just give him the decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom