Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

I hardly think firing a coach before season's end is "professional", and it certainly seems like the weirdest "favor" I've ever heard of. You act as if all the "benefits" described in your point "2" would not be there if Coyle had simply waited a week.

And as far as a plan, that remains to be seen. Gross had a plan too, twice.
Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, the plan was to wait until after the BC game to make it public, but it was leaking out so fast that SU had no choice? I mean hell, I was told about this on Saturday evening. There was no way it was staying under wraps.

geez, surprisingly nothing heard from Pete Thamel yet. anything negative about SU and he's usually all over it

So... you're saying SS demanded to know the decision in advance? If so, maybe that goes to Scooch's point that the early timing was a benefit to him in changing jobs.

Still, couldn't Coyle have simply said, "wait a week. We'll talk after BC"?
Maybe Shafer wanted to give his assistants a chance to find new jobs also? If Coyle had already made the decision the humane and classy thing to do is tell Shafer do both sides could move on. The classless thing to do is not tell him until the last second after the game if musical chairs had already stopped.

nah, i'm just excited they'll get a different offense. hopefully he goes somewhere and does great
another good frost stat
good stuff man.
they're 4th in yards per play this year despite a 5:3 run to pass ratio. pass heavy teams usually do better in yards per play because of risk/reward. they're in ohio state/auburn (when they're great)/alabama type territory

i still would love to see an adjusted yards per play that properly weights a rushing yard higher than a passing yard. they'd be the best offense in that stat
2 questions: does he call his own plays (thought I heard otherwise on the syracuse airwaves today) and why didn't Nebraska hire him for their last recent opening? Gotta vet these guys right...

2 questions: does he call his own plays (thought I heard otherwise on the syracuse airwaves today) and why didn't Nebraska hire him for their last recent opening? Gotta vet these guys right...
he does call plays and I don't know know what the hell nebraska is trying to do recently. i suspect they will eventually hire them when they get smarter

he does call plays and I don't know know what the hell nebraska is trying to do recently. i suspect they will eventually hire them when they get smarter
exactly.

nebraska, is probably closer to hiring another wishbone coach than some wacko from the northwest with flashcards running 100 plays a game.

even if that wacko got a nebraska education.

if he comes here and kills it, then that might open their eyes...but at the time IMO...he was still an uproven.

Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, the plan was to wait until after the BC game to make it public, but it was leaking out so fast that SU had no choice? I mean hell, I was told about this on Saturday evening. There was no way it was staying under wraps.
Exactly

That makes sense .. I think we all knew it was a possibility. But as I'm not an insider, it surprised me before the last game and seemed a low blow.

However, many have explained that it's better this way, and that SS may even have demanded to know early. If that's so .. so be it. Class guy, all the best to him.

exactly.

nebraska, is probably closer to hiring another wishbone coach than some wacko from the northwest with flashcards running 100 plays a game.

even if that wacko got a nebraska education.

if he comes here and kills it, then that might open their eyes...but at the time IMO...he was still an uproven.
college comes around to a much better version of the option and nebraska starts having this fixation on the west coast offense.

identity crisis there

Why torture the staff and drag it out longer than necessary? Once the decision is made the humane thing is to tell them and not waste time. They will need to move on and hit the job market themselves and stringing them along once the decision had been made only puts them at a disadvantage for other open positions. It would be unfair to do otherwise-
Valid point. It just surprised me before the last game and came across as scorched earth. it turns out other factors (leaks, ect) were in play and SS may have wanted to know early. As I said earlier, I just wanted an explanation (I got 10).

In terms of successful football hires; D Gross went 1 for 3 during his tenure. Terrible AD he was.This guy is one of the biggest reasons why SU football is where it is today.

In terms of successful football hires; D Gross went 1 for 3 during his tenure. Terrible AD he was.This guy is one of the biggest reasons why SU football is where it is today.
I'd even argue with the one win, given how it went down. Where is Skip Holtz again...lol?

would NEVER in a million years happen but man I'd love Shaf to continue as DC. And I don't think he's so proud he wouldn't do it. But #4 I could see that. I could also see a heavy hitting P5 school hire him to lead their defense next year.

Agree with #2.

I've been thinking this all day! I keep telling myself to stop but it's still there. He's a good DC. I was so frustrated watching games this year but it still hurts to see him let go.

I've been around a while but I can't recall ever seeing a coach that was both so loved and respected as a person but so disliked as a coach (as far as style, results, etc). I was so hoping Shaf could make it happen because I can think of no other guy that brings all the other stuff to the table the way he does. He is a Syracuse kind of guy...one of us. Onward and upward, coach.

WOW. i certainly did not see that coming. like say way back in september.

Id like to echo the sentiments of many posters (at least from page 1 as I haven't read the whole thread). It sucks that it didn't work out here for Shafer. He's a guy the fans would easily get behind because of his quality of character. He embodies so many of the qualities people see in Central NY and Syracuse specifically. We couldn't help but root for him. He was trying to build things the right way and unfortunately it crumbled around him faster than he could build it up. With a new AD in house, this was inevitable after the 5th loss, going into Clemson.

It sucks it didn't work out here, but if Shafer learns from some of the mistakes he made here he could go on to become a very good coach in my eyes. But right now, he isn't that, and Coyle didn't have a choice it was extend him, or fire him and you can't extend a guy coming off back to back 3 win seasons in major college football.

Here's hoping that we don't lose too many good young men in this program as the change is made. Hopefully we don't lose many quality recruits that we have on the line now, but you know that is an inevitability.

With luck, we are able to move swiftly in hiring a new coach and it enables us to bring in some quality kids late to replace those we will undoubtedly lose and we can get this train rolling in the right direction pretty swiftly.

I would imagine an offer will be going out very soon. From what I understand, the money has already been approved (or is very close to being approved) so there's not much holding them back from moving forward.

I would imagine an offer will be going out very soon. From what I understand, the money has already been approved (or is very close to being approved) so there's not much holding them back from moving forward.
You mean to Frost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom