Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

Millhouse said:
part of the reason they were ever any good for a few seconds this year was because of injuries at QB mahoney beat out the other guys, this fifth string stuff is stupid. dungey is better than hunt. hell mahoney and hunts are about the same. this is the worst part about making a coaching change - having to endure all these outsiders who think we should be ok with 6 and 17

Agreed. The audacity that we might see our selves as a top 25 team.

A good coach will see through that.

Agreed. The audacity that we might see our selves as a top 25 team.

A good coach will see through that.

It's been a while since SU was top 25, but it will definitely happen again. Being in a P5 conference means it could happen sooner rather than later with a strong start OOC and in conference, but SU will need to stay healthy in the near term for that to happen. Dungey has great potential and hopefully will end up being really good. Him being a true freshman is a lot to ask and meant that he was going to make a lot of mistakes despite his potential. He definitely struggled learning to slide which I admire because he is a warrior but I wince too because running horizontally across the pitch is always a bad idea. Mahoney showed what a little extra mileage can bring in terms of decision-making. Bringing in a new AD was probably the worst luck Shafe had out of a pretty healthy platter of bad luck. I like Mark Coyle, and I trust he will make an informed and good decision with the new hire.

Fjoinkay said:
It's been a while since SU was top 25, but it will definitely happen again. Being in a P5 conference means it could happen sooner rather than later with a strong start OOC and in conference, but SU will need to stay healthy in the near term for that to happen. Dungey has great potential and hopefully will end up being really good. Him being a true freshman is a lot to ask and meant that he was going to make a lot of mistakes despite his potential. He definitely struggled learning to slide which I admire because he is a warrior but I wince too because running horizontally across the pitch is always a bad idea. Mahoney showed what a little extra mileage can bring in terms of decision-making. Bringing in a new AD was probably the worst luck Shafe had out of a pretty healthy platter of bad luck. I like Mark Coyle, and I trust he will make an informed and good decision with the new hire.

Shafer made a bad OC hire. And then followed that up with a mediocre one. Having a young team at the same time as a new AD is tough - but had they shown improvement (win vs UVa, Pitt) - I think Coyle gives him more time.

Shafer made a bad OC hire. And then followed that up with a mediocre one. Having a young team at the same time as a new AD is tough - but had they shown improvement (win vs UVa, Pitt) - I think Coyle gives him more time.

The initial OC hire ended up being an unfortunate mistake. This season the lack of experience at QB hurt, but ironically it ended up being the defense that really cost him in my opinion. They were just too green on D.

part of the reason they were ever any good for a few seconds this year was because of injuries at QB

mahoney beat out the other guys, this fifth string stuff is stupid. dungey is better than hunt. hell mahoney and hunts are about the same.

this is the worst part about making a coaching change - having to endure all these outsiders who think we should be ok with 6 and 17

Exactly! The whole Syracuse is a bottom job is bs. There are 100's of jobs in college football. Syracuse in a P5 conference with modest expectations, albeit better than 6 and 17, is a solid job. The Cuse bashers, including freaking Thamel who never hesitates to say what a crappy job Syracuse is, can $uck it. There are a ton of quality coaches who would be thrilled to come to Cuse.

Exactly! The whole Syracuse is a bottom job is bs. There are 100's of jobs in college football. Syracuse in a P5 conference with modest expectations, albeit better than 6 and 17, is a solid job. The Cuse bashers, including freaking Thamel who never hesitates to say what a crappy job Syracuse is, can $uck it. There are a ton of quality coaches who would be thrilled to come to Cuse.
i'm guessing that when this is all said and done, we'll be able to find a writer who thought USC should keep Orgeron and bash SU for trying to upgrade from Shafer and ignore that Orgeron is raising his hand going OO OOO OOO ME ME ME

Agreed. It's natural that people resorted to talking about youth and injuries and all that as rationalizations for our performance on the field, but ultimately if SU had found a way to win those two very winnable games then Shafer's job would have been secure.

People don't like it but football is all about small sample sizes, and a game here and there ends up having an enormous impact.

I always go back to 2003/2004... if Pasqualoni had simply beaten a dreadful Rutgers team in 2003 and an even worse Temple team in 2004 there is no doubt that he'd have been the coach in 2005.

Scooch said:
Agreed. It's natural that people resorted to talking about youth and injuries and all that as rationalizations for our performance on the field, but ultimately if SU had found a way to win those two very winnable games then Shafer's job would have been secure. People don't like it but football is all about small sample sizes, and a game here and there ends up having an enormous impact. I always go back to 2003/2004... if Pasqualoni had simply beaten a dreadful Rutgers team in 2003 and an even worse Temple team in 2004 there is no doubt that he'd have been the coach in 2005.

Yep. How about the perception of Marrone had Nassib not connected with Lemon vs USF in 2012?

Huge difference in where things go from there IMO.

Agreed. It's natural that people resorted to talking about youth and injuries and all that as rationalizations for our performance on the field, but ultimately if SU had found a way to win those two very winnable games then Shafer's job would have been secure.

People don't like it but football is all about small sample sizes, and a game here and there ends up having an enormous impact.

I always go back to 2003/2004... if Pasqualoni had simply beaten a dreadful Rutgers team in 2003 and an even worse Temple team in 2004 there is no doubt that he'd have been the coach in 2005.
He would have been the coach, but for the horrific bowl loss.
They had a 100 page playbook for that game, and at half made zero offensive adjustments. Not one.

He would have been the coach, but for the horrific bowl loss.
They had a 100 page playbook for that game, and at half made zero offensive adjustments. Not one.

Well, if they had beaten Temple (and assuming they still would have beaten BC) then we would have gone to the Fiesta Bowl at 7-4 to be annihilated by Utah. If we lost *that* game 51-14 P wouldn't have been fired, because everyone would have been expecting it.

But what you say is probably true, if we had lost to GaTech even somewhat respectably he likely would have been retained.

I certainly have enjoyed watching the PS push for Shafer to be dismissed for weeks then spend 2 days tweeting out quotes of coaches and players saying how big a mistake it was. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you think anything the PS published had any impact on Coyle's decision?

I certainly have enjoyed watching the PS push for Shafer to be dismissed for weeks then spend 2 days tweeting out quotes of coaches and players saying how big a mistake it was. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's like a wake... after a guy dies you all stand around and say how great he was in life even if you thought he wasn't.

PS spent the last couple days getting their last cheap shots knowing SS couldn't defend himself. The tweets came from the ACC blog via ESPN.

I was going to ask about that. Is this the first time that the editorial board has endorsed the football coach's firing? I don't remember an editorial like the one they published the other day when Robinson got canned but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

I was going to ask about that. Is this the first time that the editorial board has endorsed the football coach's firing? I don't remember an editorial like the one they published the other day when Robinson got canned but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
I didn't see a point in that either. Maybe if they had done it Saturday night or the day after Dungey got hurt but why wait until after he was fired? Seems a little gutless.

How soon do we seen any of the current recruits decommit?

We already lost the two best when Shafer was still coach.

He'll find a gig somewhere I'm sure. Hopefully somewhere not too far geographically for family, etc.

That said, this is the correct move for syracuse football.

I could see Scott moving back to the MAC as a head coach.

Well, if they had beaten Temple (and assuming they still would have beaten BC) then we would have gone to the Fiesta Bowl at 7-4 to be annihilated by Utah. If we lost *that* game 51-14 P wouldn't have been fired, because everyone would have been expecting it.

But what you say is probably true, if we had lost to GaTech even somewhat respectably he likely would have been retained.

Which likely would have meant that Ray Rice goes to SU and not Rutgers, and then think about how those next few years would have been different for both programs...
As awful as P and "short-side option" Deleone were, imagine if it was Ray Rice getting all the runs in our otherwise - 'run, run, pass, punt' offense?
And then there is no GERG.

storange said:
PS spent the last couple days getting their last cheap shots knowing SS couldn't defend himself. The tweets came from the ACC blog via ESPN.

Exactly. There was one PS article I just stopped reading. It was embellishment by someone that doesn't know football. IMO they took glee in this. They did a good job with football coverage but they're tripping over themselves in trying to get out as many articles as possible on Shafers firing.

Which likely would have meant that Ray Rice goes to SU and not Rutgers, and then think about how those next few years would have been different for both programs...
As awful as P and "short-side option" Deleone were, imagine if it was Ray Rice getting all the runs in our otherwise - 'run, run, pass, punt' offense?
And then there is no GERG.

Would have had Rice and Brinkley in the same back field. Fiametta at FB. Would have been able to run D's play action game off of that. Based on the connection to the school Mike Williams still end up here.

supp said:

That editorial was garbage. What was this? The presidential race? I lost what little respect I had for the PS. There was no need for them celebrating.

GoSU96 said:
Would have had Rice and Brinkley in the same back field. Fiametta at FB. Would have been able to run D's play action game off of that. Based on the connection to the school Mike Williams still end up here.

If Rice played RB.

Plus it's a different system, different coaches, different teammates, etc. Hard to project what he would have done here, only assume.

Well, he was endorsed by Cantor before the game, then the BofT saw the game, and demanded Gross fire him. Well, by then its too late to do a serious job search, plus how can you, when you just canned the guy who you said would be your coach the next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom