Shafer Dismissed per SI | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Dismissed per SI

Was there a problem between Lemon and Blackburn?

Alec Lemon, he referred to him as Alex Lemons.

That's like Bill Johnson being called Brian Jones.

I say no to this guy.

We NEED a Head Coach, not a coordinator.

(sorry, off my soap box now)
th

Wow, that takes balls. Call the whole staff in at once and tell them? Usually, it's just the head coach and then you have the head coach spread the word.

Coyle is a professional it seems and doesn't hide.

First and foremost, I'm very disappointed for this staff. I know first hand how hard they work at what they do. I'm sincerely upset that they weren't able to accomplish what they've tried to accomplish here.

I've been in film sessions with them, clinics and conferences. They allowed me to come and observe whatever practices I ever asked to come to. They've been extremely cordial and helped teach me many things that I didn't know beforehand. They always had an open door policy if you called or emailed. They are guys that if you were having a barbecue, could sit down and talk with all your guests as if they'd known them for the past decade. When I accepted a college coaching offer, some of them were the first ones to congratulate me. It's disappointing. The thing most people will not think about is the fact that their lives are going to be completely up-rooted. The response will be, well they were paid a hefty sum. So what, it doesn't change the fact that you have to move your whole family. That's hard for anyone regardless of money.

I'll root for them wherever they go. They were the first staff that ever offered me the opportunities they did because they wanted to help teach a young coach looking to develop. They're far better men than most here will ever realize.

This, regardless of the situation, is going to be very interesting for the next few months. I hope that Mr. Coyle knows what he wants and already is confident that he'll get it.
I have no doubt that they are all great guys and I wish them the best.

My gut is telling me it'll be Sanford. I don't like the idea of Frost (Oregon recruits itself, etc.), but a lot comes down to the interviewing. This isn't Gross interviewing (no way GRob should have made it through the interview process).

Biggest mistake on Coyles part. They should of gave him one more year to play his team. The seniors on this team are babies who never liked the coaching change to begin with. He has proven he brought in talent look at Fredericks, Clark and Dungey. Anyone who comes in is going to get Shafes team. You have two years of recruiting classes that believe in him and are talented. Anyone who says any different can jump off a bridge. You had seniors who had a giant chip on their shoulder and could of cared less. Coyle had his own agenda from the beginning. If he wanted to really give him a chance he would of waited until HCSS got to play his team. Not happy at all with this decision.
Them's the breaks. We hired a new sheriff and unless SS gave Coyle reason the keep him, he wasn't going to keep him. Back to back 3 win seasons will do that to you-

I say no to this guy.

We NEED a Head Coach, not a coordinator.

(sorry, off my soap box now)

Oh i agree but just because of his kinda sorta connection to coyle

Per my avatar im all in on babers

Gods please allow us this

I am gonna miss this staff. I like Scott and wish him all the success. It just didnt work out. They needed more time. I think they could have got the program where they wanted but this is a business. Coyle had to make this move. Shafer is really a loyal guy. He gave me access to their team and I promised not to share things and I didnt because he trusted me and really cared about local H.S. coaches and players.

Good post - I hope the new staff shares this attribute. Giving access to area coaches is an easy way to build goodwill, a potential source of recruits, and a great way to encourage professional development.

My gut is telling me it'll be Sanford. I don't like the idea of Frost (Oregon recruits itself, etc.), but a lot comes down to the interviewing. This isn't Gross interviewing (no way GRob should have made it through the interview process).

GRob barely had to interview. Pete Carroll basically told Gross to hire his buddy Greg.

GRob barely had to interview. Pete Carroll basically told Gross to hire his buddy Greg.
I wonder what nursery rhyme Gerg read to Gross on the interview?

During the 2005 Rose Bowl between Texas and Michigan. Keith Jackson said he was hearing Greg Robinson was going to be the next HC at Syracuse. You are correct.

I rea
So, my cousin is stationed at Drum...he text me a little while ago saying there were rumors that Ed Orgeron was seen in town recently.

Now I know he has ties here...but that would be waaaay too early for this right? Unless the decision had already been made and Shafer knew...then maybe they would be looking at alternatives this early? Besides it would have been made public that Ed was in town I am sure.

I'm filing this is waaay too early to be true.
I would not dismiss Coach O very easily. He will be in the running.

Sam Blum ‏@SamBlum3
Spoke with Ashton Broyld for the first time since he was kicked off the SU football team. About to tweet some of what he said.

Broyld said that he is a huge Scott Shafer fan and will miss him. “That’s my dawg. I wish that wouldn’t happen to him.”

Broyld said he was kicked out of Syracuse University and Shafer was forced to kick him off team. Contradicts what Shafer previously said.

Broyld said he put himself in his situation. He said he had several chances to fix things, but didn’t take advantage. Only blames himself.

Broyld on Shafer: “He’s not everybody’s favorite person in the world...A lot of people have their different opinions about him."

Broyld: “I let a lot of people down, man."

More Broyld on Shafer: “His temperament, everybody wasn’t used to that. But I loved it…me and him, we had a good relationship."

Lastly, Broyld said he hasn’t talked to Shafer since he was kicked off the team. But Broyld plans on texting Shafer later today.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom